Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2022, 20:18   #76
OLD BOY
Rise above the players
 
OLD BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, Amazon, Netflix, Starzplay, Apple+TV, Disney+, VM broadband
Posts: 13,736
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Yes but your recent posts re: Johnson and his parties were so divorced from reality that I am inclined to put this one in that pot also
Actually, my posts were focussed more on what had been proved, whereas your fanciful posts were based on what you suspected. If you want to pursue that line of argument, you will need to be more specific. However, let’s do that in a more appropriate thread.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange how you keep moving the goalposts…

I have provided evidence to answer your point



Your response is "meaningless", but with no evidence to support that statement…

You are the perfect example of Gish galloping and Brandolini’s Law.
Why do you need ‘evidence’ when you can see with your own eyes the damage that has been done to businesses?

And with your superhuman abilities to trawl the internet to find the most obscure facts to prove the points you want to make, why can you not do the same in this instance?
__________________
Forumbox.co.uk
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2022, 20:59   #77
Sephiroth
Simples
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Posts: 10,454
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
<SNIP>>

Why do you need ‘evidence’ when you can see with your own eyes the damage that has been done to businesses?

And with your superhuman abilities to trawl the internet to find the most obscure facts to prove the points you want to make, why can you not do the same in this instance?
Good one, OB.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 21:24   #78
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 65
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 39,717
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Actually, my posts were focussed more on what had been proved, whereas your fanciful posts were based on what you suspected. If you want to pursue that line of argument, you will need to be more specific. However, let’s do that in a more appropriate thread.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------



Why do you need ‘evidence’ when you can see with your own eyes the damage that has been done to businesses?

And with your superhuman abilities to trawl the internet to find the most obscure facts to prove the points you want to make, why can you not do the same in this instance?
Because, as I am sure you know, it is only polite for the person making the proposition to provide that information…

And with your superhuman abilities to fail to do basic research on and ignoring any information that contradicts your tunnel vision, why am I not surprised you leap to the defence of another poster who mimics your behaviours?

But, as you are an avid proponent of Gish galloping and a prime example of Brandolini’s Law, I can understand why you wouldn’t be keen on evidence that contradicts your opinions and anecdata…
__________________
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 22-06-2022 at 21:29.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 21:49   #79
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 7,515
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange how you keep moving the goalposts…

I have provided evidence to answer your point



Your response is "meaningless", but with no evidence to support that statement…

You are the perfect example of Gish galloping and Brandolini’s Law.
Including every industry sector is misleading. As I pointed out, a chunk of that profit will be from oil and gas producers. Not every sector has that level of profits. You can't include one-off sets of profits to fund an ongoing pay rise.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 12:30   #80
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 35,579
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Out of fairness, I really have to share this even though I disagree with what the RMT is trying to do. Mick Lynch made absolute mincemeat of Kay Burley live on Sky news earlier this week and the footage is a joy to behold:

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/s...-of-mick-lynch
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 12:48   #81
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,282
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Out of fairness, I really have to share this even though I disagree with what the RMT is trying to do. Mick Lynch made absolute mincemeat of Kay Burley live on Sky news earlier this week and the footage is a joy to behold:

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/s...-of-mick-lynch
Agreed. That was the point I was making yesterday. I don't agree with his politics - he's a far left-wing Brexiter - but he interviews very well and makes mincemeat of less-well briefed interviewers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Don't agree with his politics but I've found Mick Lynch a fantastic performer in the interviews I've seen.

He's unflustered, doesn't rise to baiting, doesn't get angry, seems to knows his facts and makes interviewers appear out of their depth by just doing the interviews very well.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 15:09   #82
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 65
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 39,717
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Including every industry sector is misleading. As I pointed out, a chunk of that profit will be from oil and gas producers. Not every sector has that level of profits. You can't include one-off sets of profits to fund an ongoing pay rise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg think of the children.jpg (91.3 KB, 91 views)
__________________
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 20:30   #83
Mad Max
cf.mega poster
 
Mad Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,905
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Out of fairness, I really have to share this even though I disagree with what the RMT is trying to do. Mick Lynch made absolute mincemeat of Kay Burley live on Sky news earlier this week and the footage is a joy to behold:

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/s...-of-mick-lynch

Just watched that,comedy gold, talk about getting your knickers in a twist,
Mad Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 22:16   #84
Mick
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 14,830
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

BREAKING: MPs vote to approve regulations which allow agency workers to replace striking staff.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 22:54   #85
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 55
Posts: 1,830
GrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronze
GrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronze
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
BREAKING: MPs vote to approve regulations which allow agency workers to replace striking staff.
Don't think this'll make much difference if the train drivers go on strike, doubt there's many qualified train drivers on the books of temp agencies.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 23:03   #86
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,282
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Don't think this'll make much difference if the train drivers go on strike, doubt there's many qualified train drivers on the books of temp agencies.
Even the other roles are pretty specialised and most companies are having problems recruiting permanent staff.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:19   #87
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 55
Posts: 1,830
GrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronze
GrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronze
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Even the other roles are pretty specialised and most companies are having problems recruiting permanent staff.
As a UNISON steward I'm hearing horror stories of life as a care worker. To start with the service is short staffed and just can't compete with supermarkets wages for staff and the sickness levels are rising as the staff can't afford to put fuel in their cars with some having no choice but to call in sick at the end of the month because they have no money left.

Public services are more than creaking under the pressure and something's going to give sooner or later. I understand the issues with inflation busting pay rises, but one compromise might be to stop tinkering round the edges and give everyone a one off cost of living payment and a reasonable pay rise. If you look at the billions the prospective candidates are talking about giving away, sending a descent sized cheque to everyone is more than doable.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:08   #88
Sephiroth
Simples
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Posts: 10,454
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
As a UNISON steward I'm hearing horror stories of life as a care worker. To start with the service is short staffed and just can't compete with supermarkets wages for staff and the sickness levels are rising as the staff can't afford to put fuel in their cars with some having no choice but to call in sick at the end of the month because they have no money left.

Public services are more than creaking under the pressure and something's going to give sooner or later. I understand the issues with inflation busting pay rises, but one compromise might be to stop tinkering round the edges and give everyone a one off cost of living payment and a reasonable pay rise. If you look at the billions the prospective candidates are talking about giving away, sending a descent sized cheque to everyone is more than doable.
Yes - something's going to give eventually.

The bleedin' obvious occurs to me that private sector profit taken in the utilities and railways is the difference between decent pay and the squeeze we are seeing.

Don't get me wrong - I'm no socialist. But the utilities and railways need to be not-for-profit. Question: What personal interests do the Tory political barons have in the utilities and railways?

__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:22   #89
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,282
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
As a UNISON steward I'm hearing horror stories of life as a care worker. To start with the service is short staffed and just can't compete with supermarkets wages for staff and the sickness levels are rising as the staff can't afford to put fuel in their cars with some having no choice but to call in sick at the end of the month because they have no money left.

Public services are more than creaking under the pressure and something's going to give sooner or later. I understand the issues with inflation busting pay rises, but one compromise might be to stop tinkering round the edges and give everyone a one off cost of living payment and a reasonable pay rise. If you look at the billions the prospective candidates are talking about giving away, sending a descent sized cheque to everyone is more than doable.
Raising the income tax threshold is probably a good way of achieving this.

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Yes - something's going to give eventually.

The bleedin' obvious occurs to me that private sector profit taken in the utilities and railways is the difference between decent pay and the squeeze we are seeing.

Don't get me wrong - I'm no socialist. But the utilities and railways need to be not-for-profit. Question: What personal interests do the Tory political barons have in the utilities and railways?
I think the utilities were privatised due to the need to get money in the bank, ideology (belief that private = more efficient) and the fact that investment was needed which always competed with health and education so never happened.

Railway privatisation was John Major's baby. Thatcher saw that it was a privatisation too far and British Rail under her regime was allowed to get on and run itself and was pretty efficient. Obviously, the City was up for it but it's also hugely benefited train drivers as their bargaining power has increased as there is no monopoly buyer of labour. This is a biased source but you get the drift! https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/473868...litant-unions/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 18:38   #90
Mr K
Woke and proud !
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 7,973
Mr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronze
Mr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronzeMr K is cast in bronze
Re: RMT announce Rail strikes are on for this week

Not used the railways for a couple of years now. The fares are absurd and the service/trains terrible. Cheaper to fly round the UK.

All the promises of increased road taxes being used to fund public transport were yet more lies.

A privatisation failure in every way.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:16.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.