Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Spiral : Season 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Spiral : Season 3

Old 02-04-2011, 20:36   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Spiral : Season 3

Fresh from showing the critically acclaimed Danish crime drama "The Killing", BBC4 is now going to show another acclaimed foreign-language crime drama: series three of the French series "Spiral".

It starts tonight on BBC4 at 9pm, with the second episode (of twelve) broadcast immediately after at 9:55pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Spiral (French: "Engrenages" literally "gears") is a French television police drama series created by the TV production company Son et Lumière. The first episode was broadcast by Canal+ in France on 13 December 2005. It returned for a second series on Canal+ in France on 12 May 2008. A third series of 12 episodes finished filming in January 2010[1], and will start on the 3rd of May 2010 in France. A fourth, fifth and sixth seasons have been ordered.[2]

Its title in French is Engrenages, primarily meaning "cogs" or "gears", but also with the sense of figurative spirals (into violence, for example).

Plot

The series describes in a highly realistic way the day-to-day work and life of six actors of the judicial system: a police captain and her two lieutenants, a judge, a prosecutor and a lawyer.

Charlie Brooker has said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brooker
Spiral is like a more 'American' version of The Wire, even though it's French. MAKE SENSE OF THAT
and

Quote:
You know what's good? Spiral. The 3rd series starts tonight on BBC4. Grisly as working blindfold on a meat counter, mind.
and

Quote:
To those asking, it should make sense if you haven't seen the 1st two series. But would be better if you have. Record it & get them on DVD.
Grauniad article on Spiral:

"Will Spiral become your new favourite Saturday night Euro cop drama?"
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2011, 20:47   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Spiral - series 3 [French crime drama on BBC4]

The Killing was as good as it can possibly get for a crime drama IMO.

If Spiral is only half as good as The Killing it will still be excellent.

Got my Sky+ set up with a series link and looking forward to watching.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 15:00   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I haven't seen The Killing so can't compare.

I was impressed with the first two episodes of Spiral's third series last night, though. Seeing the previous two series would have helped, for the characters & backstory, but I didn't have any problems following things. Definitely staying in my Planner for the rest of the series.
Old 03-04-2011, 15:15   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I haven't seen The Killing so can't compare.
That's a pity, I feel you missed out. If you can't wait for the inevitable repeat it's probably on iPlayer. Look out for 'The Killing II' some time in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I was impressed with the first two episodes of Spiral's third series last night, though. Seeing the previous two series would have helped, for the characters & backstory, but I didn't have any problems following things. Definitely staying in my Planner for the rest of the series.
I can remember watching and, up to a point, enjoying an earlier series of Spiral. I can't remember if it was S01 or S02. I can remember getting a bit bored with it after a number of Eps though.

I haven't watched last night's Eps yet.
Old 03-04-2011, 15:25   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
That's a pity, I feel you missed out. If you can't wait for the inevitable repeat it's probably on iPlayer. Look out for 'The Killing II' some time in the future
I know - by the time I heard about it it was too late

It's not on iPlayer anymore, other than the last two episodes. The DVD is out in April, though, so I might rent that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I can remember watching and, up to a point, enjoying an earlier series of Spiral. I can't remember if it was S01 or S02. I can remember getting a bit bored with it after a number of Eps though.

I haven't watched last night's Eps yet.
Well, give it a go - it's good so far
Old 17-04-2011, 15:26   #6
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Finally got round to watching.
Eps 1 & 2 on Friday and a mammoth session of eps 3,4,5 & 6 last night.

Definitely awesome TV.

So who is gonna get the Hard Nose Bitch award?

Is it The Killing's Sarah Lund or Spiral's Laure Berthaud.

Either way it's gonna be a close run thing.

I see a Series 4,5 and 6 has ben ordered.
Old 17-04-2011, 16:15   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Good news about 4, 5, & 6

I think Ronaldo has to be guilty of the first two murders. If he's innocent, that would mean that Laure has screwed up again & will surely get the sack (which can't happen, as the series has been renewed).

So, if Ronaldo killed the first two, who killed the third? The guy who chopped up his flatmate? Ronaldo's mother? And how did they know of the scalpel-burn signature?

I'm also wondering what the significance is of the prostitutes. We didn't see the first two victims before they died, nor see any of their associates... Yet we saw victim number three before she died (Tatiana?), along with her fellow prostitutes, and are still seeing her fellow prostitutes and pimp. Something more to it? It must surely be linked in some way...
Old 17-04-2011, 21:02   #8
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Re: Spiral : Season 3

Yeah sure is intriguing.

Not sure who my money is on.

I like your theory about Laure getting sacked but don't forget she is off the case.

Ronaldo is just too darned obvious for my liking.

Of course there could be a pair of them working together or just maybe Ronaldo has a twin who, as his Mum was his Sister, has quite a few screws loose or missing altogether. I think there was a clue in them family photos he definately didn't want anyone to see.

I expect there to be a lot more surprises in store.