Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus

Old 05-01-2022, 15:49   #1201
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

"from food processing to transport to Border Force"

oh come on, that phrase is about as meaningless as you can get, but let's go with it to make you happy.

Food Processing:
butchers, bakers, fishmongers, fast food outlets, restaurants, hotels, raw food suppliers, food factory workers (including agency/zero contract) . . and more.

Transport:
hauliers/drivers (from HGV to light vans), warehouse workers, bus drivers, train/tube drivers and platform staff, taxi drivers, airport and ferry personnel . . and more.

Border Force:
customs officials, police, immigration services, and all the departments that associate with them . .

I'm no expert or mathematical genius, but that lot there adds up to well over 100,000 people . . before you start adding hospital workers (from cleaners to consultants) doctors surgeries, opticians, dentists, refuse collectors, shop workers, social workers, care workers . . and many more.

I'll ask again (because nowhere is giving me a decent answer) . .

What is a 'key worker' and why are there only 100,000 of them?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2022, 17:56   #1202
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Perhaps you need to contact the person who said it (or his advisors, press officers, aides, etc.), as I assume most, if not all of the CF’ers, are in that group of people?

However, in the spirit of trying to be helpful, I googled "who are the key workers boris johnson mentioned" with a filter of "last 24 hours", and this was the first thing that came up…

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/ke...om-10-january/

Quote:
Workers in key industries will be offered daily lateral flow tests, the prime minister announced yesterday.

Boris Johnson said that the government will provide 100,000 critical workers in England with free lateral flow tests so they can test themselves every working day. This requirement will initially run for five weeks from 10 January.

The government has identified a list of critical workers and will contact them directly, according to Downing Street, but indicated this is likely to cover Border Force employees, police, fire and rescue control room operators, electricity generation and people who work on the test kits themselves.

It added that other sectors that already receive tests from the UK Health Security Agency – such as care workers and NHS employees – will not be affected by the scheme, despite reported shortages of lateral flow tests across the UK.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 05-01-2022 at 18:01.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 18:16   #1203
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

The thing is Hugh, everywhere I look has almost the same answer you gave me earlier.

Surely there must be some media outlet that has the same question as a 68yr old bloke on a forum, or does every journalist, reporter and news program just decide to print/repeat what they're told 'because it's true, honest'?

Is journalism that 'dead' that nobody looks at a statement and questions its obvious lack of clarity?

The best I could find is from this Gov. Covid page from 4th Jan:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...sting-measures

Quote:
These critical workers are those who work in essential services, cannot work from home and are at risk of infecting each other - for example, due to working together in an enclosed space. People covered by the scheme will include those who work in critical national infrastructure, national security, transport, and food distribution and processing. This includes vital roles in Border Force, Police and Fire and Rescue Services control rooms, electricity generation, test kit warehouses and test surge labs.
. . . and that doesn't mention hospitals etc either, unless it's all 'wrapped up' in the 'critical national infrastructure' part?

and again, only 100,000 people?
Old 05-01-2022, 18:34   #1204
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
The thing is Hugh, everywhere I look has almost the same answer you gave me earlier.

Surely there must be some media outlet that has the same question as a 68yr old bloke on a forum, or does every journalist, reporter and news program just decide to print/repeat what they're told 'because it's true, honest'?

Is journalism that 'dead' that nobody looks at a statement and questions its obvious lack of clarity?

The best I could find is from this Gov. Covid page from 4th Jan:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...sting-measures

. . . and that doesn't mention hospitals etc either, unless it's all 'wrapped up' in the 'critical national infrastructure' part?

and again, only 100,000 people?
You should have taken part in Johnson's Monday evening phone-in and asked the man himself. It would have been more relevant than The Sun's question about reducing VAT on energy.

However, Sky's running a live Q&A now until 7.30pm, so why not put your question to them here: https://news.sky.com/story/ask-a-que...l-now-12495443

Last edited by 1andrew1; 05-01-2022 at 18:40.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 18:36   #1205
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You should have taken part in Johnson's Monday evening phone-in and asked the man himself. It would have been more relevant than The Sun's question about reducing VAT on energy.
They won't let me anywhere near the shysters
Old 05-01-2022, 19:14   #1206
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
They won't let me anywhere near the shysters

Did you see this addition to my post?

Quote:
However, Sky's running a live Q&A now until 7.30pm, so why not put your question to them here: https://news.sky.com/story/ask-a-que...l-now-12495443
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 19:36   #1207
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Surely there must be some media outlet that has the same question as a 68yr old bloke on a forum, or does every journalist, reporter and news program just decide to print/repeat what they're told
Perhaps they dont really care that much as they know full details will come in time, like it has done every other time "key workers" has been used as a phrase.

Still, once its defined you can ask why the total isnt exactly 100,000, as stated

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 20:21   #1208
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well thats nice and specific ....
I’m classed as a key worker, I’m not being tested.
Old 05-01-2022, 20:30   #1209
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Not key enough evidently.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 20:31   #1210
Carth
cf.mega poster

No Paul, it's just more garbage thrown to the media that has no substance and is sufficiently vague enough to have no merit whatsoever.
The numbers don't add up. They might add up once (if) things become clearer, but that's no excuse to throw out something so 'piss poor' to the media in order to say 'hey look, we have a plan'

If the Government want me - and others - to take this Covid stuff seriously, they shouldn't release news that makes me think "if that's the best you can do, I'm going to ignore everything you say in future, so stuff your Covid"

In 2019, there were 400,000 employed in food manufacturing, if just 25% of those 'qualify' for daily tests, that's 100,000 right there.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ed-kingdom-uk/

NHS Workforce Statistics - January 2021
https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-info...s/january-2021

Quote:
Professionally qualified clinical staff*

Professionally qualified clinical staff make up over half (53.0%) of the HCHS workforce (624,572 FTE) in January 2021. This is 4.2% (25,387) more than in January 2020.

695,189 Headcount in January 2021. This is 3.9% (26,141) more than in January 2020.

* This group includes all HCHS doctors, qualified nurses and health visitors, midwives, qualified scientific, therapeutic and technical staff and qualified ambulance staff.
Again, if just 15% of that group 'qualify', it gets you over the 100,000 mark.

so . . just how important, or 'critical' is a role in Transport or Health Care in order to 'qualify' as one of the 100,000 to test daily?

and that's without adding all the other jobs/roles/professions in the muddied list.
Old 05-01-2022, 21:00   #1211
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I really dont care that much what the definition is tbh, certainly not enough to keep ranting on about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ouch ... meoooww.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 21:02   #1212
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

Cut them some slack Carth it's not easy to make stuff up as you go along bound to be the odd slip up.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 21:12   #1213
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well, if anyone is on here via Virgin Media……………my pleasure.
Old 05-01-2022, 21:22   #1214
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well, if anyone is on here via Virgin Media……………my pleasure.
I didn’t question whether you were a “key worker”.

As Carth points out 100,000 touted now (critical workers seems to be Government parlance) is far fewer than those who in retail, manufacturing, healthcare, critical national infrastructure, Civil Servants. The total under the key worker definition would be well into the millions.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 21:36   #1215
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I really dont care that much what the definition is tbh, certainly not enough to keep ranting on about it.
aye, true enough I guess.
Probably I'm just an old (fashioned) fart that, for some strange reason, expects to see a little more 'professionalism' from those making the news, and those reporting it

Quote:

As Carth points out 100,000 touted now (critical workers seems to be Government parlance) is far fewer than those who in retail, manufacturing, healthcare, critical national infrastructure, Civil Servants. The total under the key worker definition would be well into the millions.
Never, not in a million years . . . that would equate to at least 7 million tests a week . . . do we have enough test kits?