Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 11-09-2021, 19:06   #361
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's true, but as this is the streaming thread, I feel compelled to point out that it is available on Amazon Prime.
The point of mentioning that it’s on channel 4 is that it is a competition that would otherwise have been exclusive to Amazon. I’m curious about Amazon’s rationale for sub-letting the rights to channel 4. Are they going to carry Amazon branded pictures and commentary unedited perhaps? Or did channel 4 just pay through the nose so as to override Amazon’s desire to use the event to drive subscriptions?

Funny though, when something is important it still finds a home on linear broadcast tv.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2021, 19:37   #362
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The point of mentioning that it’s on channel 4 is that it is a competition that would otherwise have been exclusive to Amazon. I’m curious about Amazon’s rationale for sub-letting the rights to channel 4. Are they going to carry Amazon branded pictures and commentary unedited perhaps? Or did channel 4 just pay through the nose so as to override Amazon’s desire to use the event to drive subscriptions?

Funny though, when something is important it still finds a home on linear broadcast tv.
That is certainly the current state of affairs here in 2021, Chris.

I think perhaps your suggestion that there might be an Amazon dog on Channel 4’s broadcast is highly likely, and it will create an awareness that the streamer carries sport.

A nice little earner for Amazon, too.
Old 11-09-2021, 19:55   #363
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
That is certainly the current state of affairs here in 2021, Chris.

I think perhaps your suggestion that there might be an Amazon dog on Channel 4’s broadcast is highly likely, and it will create an awareness that the streamer carries sport.

A nice little earner for Amazon, too.
I can’t wait for 2035…

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 20:15   #364
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

There are Prime Video logos everywhere, it's a normal Prime Video broadcast. So it's a big advert for Amazon.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:27   #365
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Given the fiasco with Peacock and the football coverage yesterday, we are a very long way from streaming replacing sattelite, terrestial, cable etc.
For those who don't know the whole service went down and no one could watch any matches, in the end NBC decided to wait for it... air them on their linear channels instead but it took until start of second half to sort it, so people missed the first half coverage.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:33   #366
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The big game was on USA and not Peacock. They were all on the NBC Sport app.

Seen reports in the US that the WWE live event streams have failed a couple of times too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Given the fiasco with Peacock and the football coverage yesterday, we are a very long way from streaming replacing sattelite, terrestial, cable etc.
For those who don't know the whole service went down and no one could watch any matches, in the end NBC decided to wait for it... air them on their linear channels instead but it took until start of second half to sort it, so people missed the first half coverage.

Last edited by ozsat; 12-09-2021 at 09:17.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:17   #367
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Have the live streams on the BBC i-Player ever gone down? I've never known that to occur.

It really shouldn't happen with a well designed streamer, given appropriate technical competence of those charged with its delivery, surely?

I'd be interested to know what actually went wrong for NBC. I completely agree that these issues will have to be resolved before relying on any given streamer to provide live sport.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:20   #368
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

BBC did have some access issues when they first started UHD tests - but they said in advance it had limited capacity.

Can't find much about yesterday's Peocock issue except the Downdetector peak at 3.02pm UK time.

One report says "This is a comcast datacenter outage impacting Peacock and others" - which is something for Sky viewers to look out for in the future.

Quote:
Have the live streams on the BBC i-Player ever gone down? I've never known that to occur.

It really shouldn't happen with a well designed streamer, given appropriate technical competence of those charged with its delivery, surely?

I'd be interested to know what actually went wrong for NBC. I completely agree that these issues will have to be resolved before relying on any given streamer to provide live sport.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 13:36   #369
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The big game was on USA and not Peacock. They were all on the NBC Sport app.

Seen reports in the US that the WWE live event streams have failed a couple of times too.
Eventually they ended up on NBCsports app but those who wanted to watch other matches missed the first half because of the fiasco.
Yeah WWE streams have been bad too on it for a multibillion dollar company they sure get a lot wrong and these are the guys who own SKY so i wouldn't be too hopefull of the SKY over broadband service.
It will eventually all click into place as you have the likes of Opus, DAZN, ESPN who stream with very little issue.
I myself subscribe to Peacock, i thought it was my vpn at first until i saw the tweets.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote:

There's some who think it might have something to do with the EPL blocking dodgey streams, they maybe blocked peacock too in their aggressive blocking methods.
Also as OZ said some say it was a database outage.

Last edited by Legendkiller2k; 12-09-2021 at 13:39.
Legendkiller2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 16:49   #370
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Yeah there's a big NDA on this at the moment.
Very little is allowed to be revealled at this moment in time.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...te-Event-Tease

The Express has dropped another article - on there is a pricing list - which if real - seems to be suggesting this is a service 'directly in a TV set' and can also adjust picture and sound based on content.

Now given Comcast have not been shy talking making moves into the Smart TV space I wonder if this is a little more than just that new IP box/service that has already been launched elsewhere? Might explain that big NDA!
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 17:18   #371
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post

The Express has dropped another article - on there is a pricing list - which if real - seems to be suggesting this is a service 'directly in a TV set' and can also adjust picture and sound based on content.

Now given Comcast have not been shy talking making moves into the Smart TV space I wonder if this is a little more than just that new IP box/service that has already been launched elsewhere? Might explain that big NDA!
Could be correct as those are the prices of SKY packs atm.
Old 12-09-2021, 17:47   #372
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

I like the idea of 1,000 hours of recording to the cloud.
Old 12-09-2021, 20:19   #373
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
There are Prime Video logos everywhere, it's a normal Prime Video broadcast. So it's a big advert for Amazon.
I get the point Chris was making - what is the rationale for Amazon?

But as we can now see the rationale was clear - their logo was on screen the whole time - 100% the same coverage with no adverts.

Quick win in a sense for Amazon. The number of people who would go out their way to pay for this would be small - yet they claimed a free advertising slot for a Saturday night on prime time terrestrial television.

The sense of putting your product in the home of everyone in the country was strong.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 20:28   #374
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yup … Amazon commentary team, Amazon court-side punditry with Amazon branded microphone mufflers, and a very prominent onscreen graphic at all times. Job’s a good’un.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 20:58   #375
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I'll stick with Now TV it still has the expensive charges people are sick of and no doubt an 18 month contract.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote