Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Be Aware - SPAM call from VM Technical Department

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Be Aware - SPAM call from VM Technical Department

Old 19-07-2018, 12:28   #1
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Exclamation Be Aware - SPAM call from VM Technical Department

Just to let folks be aware the scammers are at it again. Just had a call from a very Indian "Alex" at the Virgin Media Technical Department saying my connection has been compromised and was I sitting in front of my PC now.

When I said that I also worked for Virgin Media and was interested to see which department he was in the answer was just a repeat of Virgin Media Technical Department.

I'm guessing most on here will be aware and not give out details over the phone to cold callers.

Don't let them remote your PC.
Don't give them any details including credit cards, userid/password
Don't let them remote to your router.

You could have fun with them maybe but best just ring off.
Old 19-07-2018, 13:13   #2
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Re: Be Aware - SPAM call from VM Technical Department

Had this last year, they claimed to be calling because they could see there was a fault on my line and wanted access to my pc to check everything was ok so they could fix the issue.

Had a bit of a ding dong on the phone with them as they wanted account details and my details. After asking them why they couldn't access the router themselves without the need to have access to my pc. They tried to explain it was from my pc side of it not their side and they can see from monitoring software at their side.

Told them I was at work so they asked if they could either call back later or contact someone at my home address who might be in.

I hung up and got missed calls for about 5 days after before I blocked them.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 13:49   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

2 calls this morning from Sky MC (NC?) saying that my warranty was now out-of-date and so I should renew it to prevent "large costs" when it failed.

He asked if I had Sky, and I told him I didn't, but he then continued his spiel.

I reported the call online to the fraud hotline.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 20:15   #4
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I just let them say their introduction and then say that I work for the Metropolitan Police Fraud Squad and that your call is being traced at this very moment.

Then hang-up.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 21:41   #5
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

The worst thing though is that VM have also tried similar marketing techniques to try and up-sell some of their addon features like homeworks.

Had a guy with a dodgy sounding premise, but who was definately from VM, who wanted to 'enhance' my wifi via the superhub. I let it play out for a while as I was intruigued but it was just marketing waffle to sell more useless addons.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:10   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If you have time you could do what dill did and keep them on the phone as long as you can but do nothing but say no not got that or can't see that.

Or do what my dad did and tell them to go and fuff themselves then hang up.
Old 20-12-2020, 06:51   #7
willie
cf.geek

Services: VM 200mb VM Phone M
willie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these parts
Send a message via MSN to willie

It seems they are back, got a phone call vm tech support (Mac) wednesday
Said my system had been compromised so i let him ramble on then he said they want to check my settings etc thats when i said you must be mistaken as my setup very strict firewall rules and is also behind a very good vpn.

So they then said it was my phone with vm that they were refering to so again i listen to their rants they then they want to install some "software" so i asked which software they wanted to install on my android phone it was teamviewer, at this point i just stopped them and informed them that
1) That i have recorded the conversation
2) That my mobile phone is not on vm network
And then i sort of blasted them with some very colourful expletives before hanging up
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:29   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The thing is, at one time their accents would have been a dead giveaway, not so now that VM use those offshore call centres. Someone calling themselves by an English name with a foreign accent could just as likely be from Virgin Media.

One of these days someone is going to tell a legitimate caller working on behalf of VM to F off and, if they complain, VM will start to whine about innapropriate behaviour by the customer
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 10:29   #9
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I get the BT fakers calling my on VM.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 11:18   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

VM doesn't call anyone. They will however notify about issues on their website status page and no I don't use VM mobile so I can still get online to check service status.
Old 20-12-2020, 13:15   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
VM doesn't call anyone. They will however notify about issues on their website status page and no I don't use VM mobile so I can still get online to check service status.
They still call me, on my landline and mobile, sometimes several times a day. When it's the real VM the same 0800 number shows and they call me by name (I know this number can be spoofed but I'm confident it is them). I also had a spate of VM scammers but they ring me on my work phone which is a bit of a give away.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 13:21   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I haven't been called by VM for years. I ONLY deal with them via the webspace or email.
Old 20-12-2020, 13:54   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

My son had a call from someone claiming to b VM Billing when i was in Hoispital asking for account password so my son just hung up.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 14:08   #14
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

All I get are emails asking me to throw money at the latest iphone, fantastic package upgrade deals, or informing me of the fabulous shite I can see on TV over the coming month, sometimes with (no) chance to win a fabulous prize
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 16:43   #15
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Erm yes they do. They even call you asking for your account password* to prove it's you just so they can then try to sell you junk.

*Used to be the full password, now they at least ask for some different characters.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote