Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Breakdowns - how often is often?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Breakdowns - how often is often?

Old 21-06-2018, 16:30   #1
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Breakdowns - how often is often?

I had an area-wide loss of TV and broadband today that lasted about eight hours. I get about three similar breakdowns a year. Of course, breakdowns are a fact of life but I was wondering what other's experience on this forum was. Are three breakdowns of eight hours or more a year about average or should I consider myself especially lucky or unlucky?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2018, 17:02   #2
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Breakdowns - how often is often?

I have had one broadband outage overnight in the last 3 years. I have been with VM 20 years and things have improved so much over that time.
Up to about 2010 we had terrible problems with on demand caused by an over heating problem in the cabinet in the street, that was rectified by a change in equipment in the cabinet, but since then outages have been at a minimum.
However, my cousin lives in Sawbridgeworth, Herts and she has had regular outages particularly last summer.
I am in ex Telewest area and she is ex NTL, don't know if that has any bearing.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 17:09   #3
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I have had one broadband outage overnight in the last 3 years. I have been with VM 20 years and things have improved so much over that time.
Up to about 2010 we had terrible problems with on demand caused by an over heating problem in the cabinet in the street, that was rectified by a change in equipment in the cabinet, but since then outages have been at a minimum.
However, my cousin lives in Sawbridgeworth, Herts and she has had regular outages particularly last summer.
Interesting. Looking like I might be in the 'unlucky' bracket. I am in an ex-NTL area.
Old 21-06-2018, 18:22   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Interesting. Looking like I might be in the 'unlucky' bracket. I am in an ex-NTL area.
As am I, but I have found outages to be rare, although I haven't been keeping a tally!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 20:30   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Are three breakdowns of eight hours or more a year about average or should I consider myself especially lucky or unlucky?
Consider yourself very unlucky.

I dont think Ive had more than 5 in the last few years.
The last one was actually a couple of days ago, but only for about 90 mins max.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 20:42   #6
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

I don't think I've had that many in ages. Had one outage for probably (like you) several hours and a few DNS outages over the years. I think, looking back, maybe 1 semi-serious and maybe 4/5 minor issues. Not bad for nearly 20 years.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 06:14   #7
heavyside
cf.geek

All of the outages I suffer turn out to be area-wide. I live in London. The most recent loss of service coincided with a Virgin Media engineer doing some work under the pavement and next to a green box opposite where I live the day before.
Old 22-06-2018, 15:19   #8
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Admittedly we work full time but of the ones I know of (so could be happening when I am not at home to notice them) I can only think of 2 in the 10 years we have been with Virgin.

1 was over 24 hours and was complete outage of everything Virgin related over a weekend which made it even worse.
Another was broadband only for several hours which had a knock on effect to the tv with the On Demand side of things.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 20:46   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post

I live right next to Sawbridgeworth, in Harlow which is also in Essex.

I have had very few disruptions, having a Fingbox this tells me when conection to the box and the internet is lost.
Old 26-06-2018, 11:27   #10
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Admittedly we work full time but of the ones I know of (so could be happening when I am not at home to notice them) I can only think of 2 in the 10 years we have been with Virgin.

1 was over 24 hours and was complete outage of everything Virgin related over a weekend which made it even worse.
Another was broadband only for several hours which had a knock on effect to the tv with the On Demand side of things.
Similar here - we've had a complete outage from early evening a while ago which took a few hours to resolve, and then had short 5minute blips for a couple of days. But I've also spent the past few years working almost exclusively from home so totally reliant on our broadband. I would certainly struggle to count on one hand the number of total outages we've had that haven't been pre-notified.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 12:36   #11
heavyside
cf.geek

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's looking like I might live in an area (21) that is prone to outages. I, too, work from home and any loss of service makes things tricky.
Old 26-06-2018, 13:31   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's looking like I might live in an area (21) that is prone to outages.
"area 21" is actually the billing system you are on, and covers a large part of London and Southampton.

If you are served by the Acton, Brentford or Finchley hubsites, there has been a lot of network engineering work in these areas recently which will have caused outages.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 15:35   #13
heavyside
cf.geek

I believe I am served from Lewisham. I live in SE London. I did mention in an earlier post on this thread that a Virgin Media engineer was working opposite my place the day before the latest loss of service. I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that the two events might be linked. Either way it is annoying and, judging by the replies, seems to happen more frequently in my area than elsewhere.
Old 26-06-2018, 18:48   #14
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I had a period of 2-3 weeks where the broadband kept dropping out - unacceptable.

Apart from that there have been 3 occasions where it has been out for a number of hours at a time.

I have been with Virgin for 17 months.

Not a great start?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 18:54   #15
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I had a very rare broadband outage yesterday which started around 11:30.
A call to Virgin Media advised that there was an ongoing issue which was expected to be resolved by 6:15.
Asked if I wanted updates, I gave my mobile number.
I was texted at 4:30 to say that the issue had been resolved, which indeed it had.
For me, this was a good response on a residential service.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote