Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2018, 17:51   #3301
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post

My kids are 10 and 12 and as they get older, I would very much like them to work abroad. Casual work would be fine - strap on a rucksack and get out there and do bar or restaurant work for the summer. I was lucky enough to work abroad when I was 21 and it changed my outlook on life completely. It’s tough moving to another country, it definitely makes you grow up quick! It also gives you a much broader outlook on different nationalities. That opportunity has been taken away from them and that’s a real shame.

Yes, I am sure they will still be able to get jobs abroad but no way as easily as they could if we stayed in the EU.

See told you it was a bit fluffy and self serving!
Never understood this, Brexit doesn't mean we wont be allowed into the EU to work , Casually or otherwise.

What do you base that on?
Old 28-06-2018, 18:11   #3302
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Never understood this, Brexit doesn't mean we wont be allowed into the EU to work , Casually or otherwise.

At the moment you are entitled to work in the EU automatically. We don't know what the future arrangements for that will be. It won't mean you're banned from working but you might need permits e.t.c which could also be unavailable for certain types of work.
Old 28-06-2018, 18:43   #3303
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
That you know of...

Quote:
Well, until a permanent (or even stop gap arrangement) is put into place for the time after March of next year you will not have the automatic right to do so anymore.
Old 28-06-2018, 18:45   #3304
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
At the moment you are entitled to work in the EU automatically. We don't know what the future arrangements for that will be. It won't mean you're banned from working but you might need permits e.t.c which could also be unavailable for certain types of work.
This basically, no casual work, you may well need a job to go to. I have seen it the other way where the brother of one of our senior manager who is Hungarian came over to work. He was 18 and wanted to improve his English and experience the UK. Both great ambitions. He was never out of work to be honest, to the point where if he didn’t like the job he had, he quit and got a different one later that day! His opinion of 18 year old British people wasn’t very high to say the least.

If I am looking through CVs, if someone has travelled and worked abroad, that is a big plus for me as it shows a toughness and ambition. Not the be all and end all but if I had two equal candidates and one of them has travelled, I would pick them.
Old 28-06-2018, 19:06   #3305
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Of course he was, and so was I. Did you see what I did there?
No...it just looked like you didn't get it.

/Shrug

Most of your comments here to me have come off as "probably sarcastic" as I can't view them with any seriousness, so I suppose I should have just done the same with that one, too. Sorry I took it to be meretricious - won't make that mistake again.

Quote:
Incidentally, I am completely at a loss about the alleged bad grammar and 'making up random c**p'. What the hell are you talking about? Would you care to elaborate so I can give a sensible response to your post?
Okay...this post, you said:

Quote:
Older people suffer far more than young people from cuts to health benefits, and let's not forget who trashed our economy. Christ!
You are right that older people do suffer more due to cuts - I tried making that point to you in regards to services. You didn't seem to care about the shortage of workers later in life.

Secondly though (not as a question) but as a statement you said "let's not forget who trashed our economy". You did not put it as a question but as a statement, with emphasis, then answered your own statement with "Christ!".

That implies that you believe that Christ trashed the economy.

When you first posted as much I took pity on you (we all make typographical and grammatical errors, me more so than most) and decided not to call you out on it. Than when Ianch99 did, instead of just issuing a Mea culpa you denied the fact that it was an error and are now trying to make it look like you intended it come out that way.

You got it wrong, no big deal. Instead of just brushing it off though, you are making it out like everyone else is in the wrong.

Quote:
By the way, we are debating issues here, no need to get personal.
You are the one who accused me of using the same language as Nazi Sympathizers...

You seem very eager to dish it out but can't stomach the response in return. Only most of ours have merit, yours is just the latest absurdity of the day.

You can go back to comparing the rest of us to Hitler / Nazi appeasers in the mean time...while claiming that it is nothing personal, and playing the victim, all at one go.
Old 28-06-2018, 19:15   #3306
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

This is not a personal dig, but your post reminds me. I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen people including politicians state "I know exactly what I voted for" only to express surprise that the country could not nominate a future European City of Culture or could not remain part of the Galileo Positioning System. Leave means leave peeps!
Old 28-06-2018, 19:40   #3307
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You may also have challenges with Healthcare cover, essential for long term assignments abroad if your company does not underwrite your health insurance. The long term status of EHIC post-Brexit is unclear ..
Old 28-06-2018, 20:14   #3308
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
No...it just looked like you didn't get it.

/Shrug

Most of your comments here to me have come off as "probably sarcastic" as I can't view them with any seriousness, so I suppose I should have just done the same with that one, too. Sorry I took it to be meretricious - won't make that mistake again.

Okay...this post, you said:

You are right that older people do suffer more due to cuts - I tried making that point to you in regards to services. You didn't seem to care about the shortage of workers later in life.

Secondly though (not as a question) but as a statement you said "let's not forget who trashed our economy". You did not put it as a question but as a statement, with emphasis, then answered your own statement with "Christ!".

That implies that you believe that Christ trashed the economy.

When you first posted as much I took pity on you (we all make typographical and grammatical errors, me more so than most) and decided not to call you out on it. Than when Ianch99 did, instead of just issuing a Mea culpa you denied the fact that it was an error and are now trying to make it look like you intended it come out that way.

You got it wrong, no big deal. Instead of just brushing it off though, you are making it out like everyone else is in the wrong.

You are the one who accused me of using the same language as Nazi Sympathizers...

You seem very eager to dish it out but can't stomach the response in return. Only most of ours have merit, yours is just the latest absurdity of the day.

You can go back to comparing the rest of us to Hitler / Nazi appeasers in the mean time...while claiming that it is nothing personal, and playing the victim, all at one go.
Oh, no Chloé, you are under a big misapprehension there. I have never intended to be rude to you, but it seems that my humour has been interpreted as scornful berating, so I apologise for that, but I'm still not sure what you meant by bad grammar! No worries, let's move on.

Of course I am concerned by the potential shortage of workers in this country, but that won't be the fault of Brexit, it will be the fault of that ridiculous policy to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands. Theresa May was landed with that one by Cameron and now has to diplomatically extracate herself from it. Immigration should be restricted to those we need to fill our vacancies where we have a skills or labour shortage - that's what is important.

As for my 'Christ' comment, that was a word to express exasperation that people were already forgetting that Labour was responsible for not keeping sufficient balances in the budget to whether the economic storm. You must know that I was not blaming Him for our misfortune.

I really was not comparing you with Nazi sympathisers, either! That is taking things way to personally, and I would not think that of you from what I know of you so far. The comparison was with the way of thinking (ie negative and defeatist, as opposed to positive and thrusting), so sorry for that upset also, it was not intended.

I think you are misunderstanding me, from what I can gather from your posts. We are all entitled to our opinions of course, but the reason I am coming on strong is because there is a relentless number of posts indicating the worst possible scenario for Brexit, and it is just not true. I am merely pointing out that there is an alternative view which is by no means dystopian, but a venture into a brave new world.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
This is not a personal dig, but your post reminds me. I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen people including politicians state "I know exactly what I voted for" only to express surprise that the country could not nominate a future European City of Culture or could not remain part of the Galileo Positioning System. Leave means leave peeps!
Yes, with different arrangements in place to protect the things we value.

The EU way is not the only way.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You may also have challenges with Healthcare cover, essential for long term assignments abroad if your company does not underwrite your health insurance. The long term status of EHIC post-Brexit is unclear ..
That doesn't mean we will get the worst case scenario, though, does it? C'mon, lighten up!
Old 28-06-2018, 21:44   #3309
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, with different arrangements in place to protect the things we value.
Leave means leave Old Boy. You can't be part of things like Galileo if you leave.
Next you'll be telling Germany that they can still win the World Cup.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 28-06-2018 at 22:19.
Old 28-06-2018, 21:53   #3310
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Leave means leave Old Boy. You can't be part of things like Galileo if you leave.
The Galileo thing is just the EU being bloody minded. It is not beyond the wit of those Brussels turds to arrive at a contributory arrangement; or maybe it is beyond their wit because they are intent on punishing us.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 28-06-2018, 22:04   #3311
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The Galileo thing is just the EU being bloody minded. It is not beyond the wit of those Brussels turds to arrive at a contributory arrangement; or maybe it is beyond their wit because they are intent on punishing us.
Using coloured text or coarse adjectives fails to make you correct.
Others have explained the implications of being a third country as have I. You can't have your cake and eat it.
Old 28-06-2018, 22:28   #3312
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Others have explained the implications of being a third country as have I. You can't have your cake and eat it.
You can’t hide behind my (valid) coarse description of those unelected gravy train merchants.

A treaty between the UK as a third country and the EU could indeed include Galileo, for example. It is, of course up to the EU. But they are trying to punish us for leaving their sick venture.

Why are you, presumably a Brit, trotting out their line? You might not want Brexi, but now that the democratic decision has been taken, the keast you can do is stand behind that and criticise Brussels for trying to stiff us.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 28-06-2018, 22:42   #3313
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I actually prefer the blue text and coarse adjectives, Andrew. They are a lot more uplifting than your prophesies of doom!
Old 28-06-2018, 23:05   #3314
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You can’t hide behind my (valid) coarse description of those unelected gravy train merchants.

A treaty between the UK as a third country and the EU could indeed include Galileo, for example. It is, of course up to the EU. But they are trying to punish us for leaving their sick venture.

Why are you, presumably a Brit, trotting out their line? You might not want Brexi, but now that the democratic decision has been taken, the keast you can do is stand behind that and criticise Brussels for trying to stiff us.
I'm not hiding behind anything.
Because I don't agree with anyone doesn't mean I have to use coarse language.
Because I've done my research and understand the rules, I don't throw my toys out of the pram everytime someone in the UK makes an impossible request of the EU. We agreed to and contributed to the boundaries as recently as November 2017!
Because I'm a Brit, I've learnt to respect our hardworking civil servants whose analysis Brextremists try and swerve. They give the impression that they would probably rather trust social media sites from St Petersburgh than the Queen's civil service.
I respect British business when it patiently explains supply chains and how any kind of Brexit will negatively impact the country. I know respecting business is not popular in the world when populists like Corbyn and Trump are in positions of power but I don't apologise for it.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Quote:
I actually prefer the blue text and coarse adjectives, Andrew. They are a lot more uplifting than your prophesies of doom!
I make no prophecies of doom, Old Boy. I share developments from the news, not from Narnia.
Old 29-06-2018, 00:08   #3315
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Describing the people we want to do business with as "turds" is uplifting? Dear me, you are not in the Cabinet are you? I mean, having 1 petulant child in Government is bad enough, but having more is frightening?

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Quote:

I really want to know what "Brexi" is? It is either Brexit after too much Veno Callapso or its a whole new option on the table

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Quote:
That doesn't mean we will get the worst case scenario, though, does it? C'mon, lighten up!
OB, you misunderstand. I am not saying we will get the "worst case scenario", I am saying there is no solution on the table as yet. Talking about solutions, I am lightened up, with the help of a modest amount of Scottish medicine. Go Brexi!