Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Xbox Live Moderate Nat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Xbox Live Moderate Nat

Old 23-03-2007, 20:22   #1
davethebikervlac
Inactive

davethebikervlac is an unknown quantity at this point
Xbox Live Moderate Nat

Sorry if this has been posted before but i couldnt find it.

I have a 10mb virgin media connection and play xbox live using windows internet connection sharing. On the connection setting i have a moderate NAT and from what i have read online it's usually caused by settings on my router? I use the NTL250 modem. Is there any way to sort this without buying a new router.
davethebikervlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2007, 21:34   #2
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice
Re: Xbox Live Moderate Nat

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly: •UDP 88•UDP 3074•TCP 3074. Make sure you are forwarding these ports through your router.

Some routers however are more fussy than others when it comes to xbox live in which case I would probable try a flash of your routers firmware to the latest. If still it shows as moderate then the router maybe just isnt supported fully for xbl.

To be honest though my xbox live connection always reports as moderate but I have no problems playing whatsoever.

Why are you so concerned?
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 18:14   #3
TehRobG
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 2MB Broadband (ntl:250 modem), Sky Top Package (Sky+ Box)
TehRobG is an unknown quantity at this point

A moderate or strict NAT can affect Hosting games and voice communication
TehRobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 18:50   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

You mention your router, yet you say you use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

If you have a router, then you should really connect the Xbox directly to that, rather than using ICS.

As morrk said, you need to forward the XBL ports, to be able have "Open NAT" [Unless your router has UPnP, in which case you shouldn't need to forward ports].
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 23:48   #5
bigbadbaz
Inactive

bigbadbaz is an unknown quantity at this point

my xbox live connection was fine upto 2 weeks ago, now i get kicked from xbox live and am losing skill on halo 3 rapidly is this a virgin media issue?? i have reset the router, checked the firmware and all other settings, Unpp is on and port forwarding off, i have a netgear wg264T router, live approved, everything else is cool, internet and all, just the xbox, was working perfectly previously to help !!
bigbadbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 02:22   #6
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

One of the drawbacks of ICS is that you are at the mercy of any firewall software on your PC. ie: Zonealarm

@bigbadbaz do you have any facility to change the NAT type in your router settings: cone/symmetric? I know on D-Link routers this is called "Gaming Mode"
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 09:27   #7
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrk View Post
The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly: •UDP 88•UDP 3074•TCP 3074. ...
Eh?

My son has been complaining about moderate NATS, and I tried the suggestions on the Xbox Live website, but none had an effect. He now wants me to buy a new router. Any suggestions?
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 11:23   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

I've seen a few routers where the upnp sometimes gets itself in a bit of a twist and then fails to map ports as required.

Usually a reboot of the router sorts that little problem.
Never did the Nat test on live recently but I wouldn't be surprised if I sometimes get strict Nat since we have 2 xbox 360's depends if they both try and use the same ports at the same time.

Saying that I've had 3 online before playing halo3 and not had a problem
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 13:54   #9
bigbadbaz
Inactive

bigbadbaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Xbox Live Moderate Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
One of the drawbacks of ICS is that you are at the mercy of any firewall software on your PC. ie: Zonealarm

@bigbadbaz do you have any facility to change the NAT type in your router settings: cone/symmetric? I know on D-Link routers this is called "Gaming Mode"
I have had a look but i didnt see a setting for this , its a netgear router one of the live compatble WGT624 v3 108 mb, any idea what tab this maybe under ?,
bigbadbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 16:02   #10
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbaz View Post
I have had a look but i didnt see a setting for this , its a netgear router one of the live compatble WGT624 v3 108 mb, any idea what tab this maybe under ?,
If you have the manual handy have a look on Chapter 5, pages 6 and 7. There is an option in the WAN Setup tab to set NAT filtering to secured or open. Set this to open for maximum compatibilty with games. This decreases the effectiveness of your NAT firewall but I assume that any other devices you have attached to your LAN are suitably protected with a software firewall.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 14:27   #11
Exxen0Revolver
Inactive

Exxen0Revolver is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone ,

NAT problems are always about Port Forwarding. sometimes UpNp and Open NAT does not help or solve a problem. therefore you need to do Port Forwarding.

I am not sure but it depends on you ISP.
if you have a PPPoE or a PPPoA connection or even a DHCP , just change your configuration on the modem to be Transparent or Bridge. and let your Xbox 360 Dial In ( Must obtain a username and password ) so if the Xbox dials in , it will obtain a Legal/Public IP address , which does not need any kind of NAT/PAT AKA NPAT to be configured anyway !

Another way is to configure a DMZ on your router/modem and plug you Xbox 360 on the DMZ which will open and forward all ports back and forward from you console to the internet.

Some modem allows you to configure what is so called "Default Server"
configuring a default server based on your console IP address save you the headache.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Hello Everyone ,

NAT problems are always about Port Forwarding. sometimes UpNp and Open NAT does not help or solve a problem. therefore you need to do Port Forwarding.

I am not sure but it depends on you ISP.
if you have a PPPoE or a PPPoA connection or even a DHCP , just change your configuration on the modem to be Transparent or Bridge. and let your Xbox 360 Dial In ( Must obtain a username and password ) so if the Xbox dials in , it will obtain a Legal/Public IP address , which does not need any kind of NAT/PAT AKA NPAT to be configured anyway !

Another way is to configure a DMZ on your router/modem and plug you Xbox 360 on the DMZ which will open and forward all ports back and forward from you console to the internet.

Some modem allows you to configure what is so called "Default Server"
configuring a default server based on your console IP address save you the headache.
Exxen0Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote