Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 15-12-2016, 11:14   #2401
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
So I had a little bit of a dramatic install today... not great when wife at home trying to deal with virgin media install guy herself!

Our basic setup is virgin media superhub 2c in modem mode connected to a netgear r7000 router that runs dd-wrt and connects to a vpn itself to route all traffic through such

So at some point I get a call from the install guy saying "it's not working" - I ask why.. all he claims is "it has to be plugged in directly to the hub" - I ask if that is really true - "yes it is - hub only and other one has to connect to virgin wifi only". I complain and say that I'll cancel the order then since I refuse to be restricted to virgin's all-in router given its limitations etc. Then I wonder if the VPN is confusing the V6 box - so I get the wife to switch off the VPN.. box then seems to connect / install and the guys promptly leave (in the interim his manager turned up as well after the original install guy disappeared from the property for half an hour).

So I now get home - both boxes are showing the tv. The secondary V6 box is connected to the internal wifi on my own router and seems to be working okay. However both boxes are showing "On demand is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes."

I ask the wife if she knows anything and apparently the guys made some claim that there is still a few things to be set up in the background... and that it should all be working by tonight! Seems a bit odd to me..

Has anyone else experienced similar after an install?

And, also, does anyone else run a VPN on their router and verified if they can re-enable it and actually use the V6 behind such?

Thanks
I had to wait until the evening of the install for VM to activate the encrypted channels & VOD.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2016, 11:30   #2402
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_gregory_uk View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention I get both movies and sports in HD as well.
You haven't got the top phone plan, that's probably why you not on VIP.

You paying a pretty good price for all that at the moment. Upgrading may put your price up even though it's just the bigger phone plan you are missing.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 15-12-2016 at 12:01.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 11:32   #2403
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I had to wait until the evening of the install for VM to activate the encrypted channels & VOD.
I seem to recall this happening with my original Tivo when it was installed some years back.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 13:56   #2404
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And, also, does anyone else run a VPN on their router and verified if they can re-enable it and actually use the V6 behind such?

Thanks
I run a site to site VPN using a Draytek 2925n. I let the installer setup the Hub 3 as he normally would (in router mode) and he connected the TiVo V6 to the Hub wirelessly. He left after everything was working. I then left it for a few hours and then logged into the Hub 3 to change it to modem mode, I also had to go onto the TiVo V6 and change the wireless network settings.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 18:28   #2405
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Got my v6 coming on the 4th Jan. Cut down to mix tv but still got the xl install cost so pretty happy. Only thing i'm not sure of is whether there are restrictions on the HD recordings I will be able watch on my current box after the downgrade.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 18:48   #2406
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Got my v6 coming on the 4th Jan. Cut down to mix tv but still got the xl install cost so pretty happy. Only thing i'm not sure of is whether there are restrictions on the HD recordings I will be able watch on my current box after the downgrade.
If you will no longer be subscribing to any Sky channels, the recordings you have made from them will no longer be available.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 19:29   #2407
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

Quote:
I phoned up today and spoke with a woman who didn't seem to have much of a clue. She said I paid £90 a month currently but with the new box would be over £100. I said I thought it was the same monthly price but a one off payment. She said wait a minute, then came back and said yes, your right it would be £90 a month and a one off payment. I said, that's strange as I only pay £61 a month at the moment. Again she went off and came back saying she could do it for £63 a month. I said forget it as didn't want to pay more a month so off she went again and came back saying she could do it for £60 a month with a one off fee of £64.95 or similar. She gave an installation date of 14th Feb.

I am on the following package with two Tivo boxes.
Full House (XL) TV
VIVID 200 Optical Fibre Broadband
Talk Weekends Phone

Does that mean I am a VIP customer and should I be entitled to a second V6 box for free? If so I'll ring and have a further chat with them!
Im on the same package at a similar price and had exactly the same problem a few days ago, i posted about it on here at the time. They said my monthly cost would go up from my current p[rice about £58 to over £100 a month and i would have to pay £64.99 install and activation, they would not budge on any of that so i terminated the chat. No way is the box worth me paying an extra £30 a month for 12 months as they also said id have to have a new contract.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 20:22   #2408
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you will no longer be subscribing to any Sky channels, the recordings you have made from them will no longer be available.

Mix TV includes Sky channels, but SD only.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 23:04   #2409
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

So it will mean the HD recordings won't be available - even if the SD channels are part of the subscription still.
Old 15-12-2016, 23:22   #2410
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yeah was pretty sure there were limitations on sky revordings but anything we record on Sky we can get on now tv. More thinking about Nat Geo and Dave.
Old 16-12-2016, 00:05   #2411
OhReally

Quote:
I phoned up today and spoke with a woman who didn't seem to have much of a clue. She said I paid £90 a month currently but with the new box would be over £100. I said I thought it was the same monthly price but a one off payment. She said wait a minute, then came back and said yes, your right it would be £90 a month and a one off payment. I said, that's strange as I only pay £61 a month at the moment. Again she went off and came back saying she could do it for £63 a month. I said forget it as didn't want to pay more a month so off she went again and came back saying she could do it for £60 a month with a one off fee of £64.95 or similar.
Like the stereotpical double-glazing salesman, I'd have hung up and then rang back and cancelled.

When I'm looking to buy stuff it's a simple process

Me: I'm looking to buy XYZ, please give me your best price
Them: 1234
Me: Ok, I'm getting other prices if you are the cheapest we'll consider it

If the price is then dropped further then clearly they lied, it wasn't the BEST price, you only get one chance.
Old 16-12-2016, 01:34   #2412
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
I run a site to site VPN using a Draytek 2925n. I let the installer setup the Hub 3 as he normally would (in router mode) and he connected the TiVo V6 to the Hub wirelessly. He left after everything was working. I then left it for a few hours and then logged into the Hub 3 to change it to modem mode, I also had to go onto the TiVo V6 and change the wireless network settings.
Thanks - so you are running it behind a vpn now without problems? I spoke to one tech support guy who thought it might be checking for connection to virgin servers and vpn would be a problem.. what speed do you get through vpn and is it workable for the v6 to stream iplayer/netflix?

I am thinking my own personal issue had nothing to do with my router now though - I actually resorted to putting modem back in router mode and, alas, still it says on demand and catch up are unavailable and half the apps are showing no logos or not working. Internet connection definitely is working though and I can stream if going via iplayer or netflix manually... trying to force it re-download through "connect to virgin media service" and full reset of the box arent fixing it either

Only thing I can find that seems wrong is if i do a network connection test the port configuration takes a while and then says 'failed' - but if there were certain ports that need opening you'd have thought virgin would publicise it or have them default opened on their own hub!
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 10:41   #2413
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Only thing I can find that seems wrong is if i do a network connection test the port configuration takes a while and then says 'failed' - but if there were certain ports that need opening you'd have thought virgin would publicise it or have them default opened on their own hub!
Have you changed the DNS servers your hub uses? If so, try reverting to the VM ones.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:56   #2414
graeme.owen
Inactive

graeme.owen is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone tried connecting to none virgin broadband and seeing if the on demand works? We have technical issues in our area, and virgin can only provide TV and not broadband or phone service. Retentions are trying to find a way for me to order the V6 without broadband (plan being that I will then connect it via my BT FTTP for the on demand) but will this work?
graeme.owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 13:57   #2415
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme.owen View Post
Has anyone tried connecting to none virgin broadband and seeing if the on demand works? We have technical issues in our area, and virgin can only provide TV and not broadband or phone service. Retentions are trying to find a way for me to order the V6 without broadband (plan being that I will then connect it via my BT FTTP for the on demand) but will this work?
Keep in mind there are two types of On Demand when using a TiVo box. One comes via a tuner as per the non TiVo boxes the others make use an internet connection. The legacy TiVos had their own moden and 10Mb pipe for this and it's used by Netflix and iPlayer and the like. Most of the other on Demand content comes via a tuner.

So I guess a simple version of your question is "Will I be able to use iPlayer without a VM connection with a V6?" I'd be shocked if this wasn't possible....it should just be looking for a connection to your router (wifi or ethernet) and it'll go from there. The tuner based On Demand will come through the cable plugged into the TiVo.