Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future for linear TV channels

Old 19-03-2015, 11:33   #181
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Errr .... No .... That's evidence of the shift in *video* viewing, as the article you linked to clearly states.
Not sure I quite understand your comment, Chris. I'm referring to the shift from viewing linear channels to alternative means of viewing, such as video on demand, video streaming, etc.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the whole point of this thread is to look at whether this shift in viewing patterns will reduce income from advertising on broadcast TV which will then undermine the whole platform, leading to a sharp diminution or extinction of linear channels.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2015, 12:10   #182
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not sure I quite understand your comment, Chris. I'm referring to the shift from viewing linear channels to alternative means of viewing, such as video on demand, video streaming, etc.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the whole point of this thread is to look at whether this shift in viewing patterns will reduce income from advertising on broadcast TV which will then undermine the whole platform, leading to a sharp diminution or extinction of linear channels.
I know what the topic is. It seems perhaps that you don't. Or at least, you don't understand that a drop in ownership of video on disc, coupled with a rise in streaming video over the internet, has precisely nothing to do with the future of linear TV broadcasts.

It does have something to do with the future of DVD sales and rentals. That, however, is not the topic here.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 12:56   #183
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I know what the topic is. It seems perhaps that you don't. Or at least, you don't understand that a drop in ownership of video on disc, coupled with a rise in streaming video over the internet, has precisely nothing to do with the future of linear TV broadcasts.

It does have something to do with the future of DVD sales and rentals. That, however, is not the topic here.
OK, I see now the point that you are making.

However, I don't think that you would deny that video streaming is becoming increasingly popular, and that this is and will continue to impact on viewing figures for broadcast TV.

I accept that the article is not, however, a comparison with broadcast television viewing habits.
Old 19-03-2015, 13:16   #184
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Anything that you can do in your living room of an evening, that is not watching linear broadcast TV, will inevitably have an impact on the overall viewing figures of linear TV channels. But you haven't been arguing simply that broadcast viewing figures will take a hit - your hypothesis here is that VOD will at some point overtake linear to the point that linear, over-the-air broadcast will end.

Many, many reasons have been provided in this thread why that will not happen any time in the foreseeable future.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:21   #185
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Anything that you can do in your living room of an evening, that is not watching linear broadcast TV, will inevitably have an impact on the overall viewing figures of linear TV channels. But you haven't been arguing simply that broadcast viewing figures will take a hit - your hypothesis here is that VOD will at some point overtake linear to the point that linear, over-the-air broadcast will end.

Many, many reasons have been provided in this thread why that will not happen any time in the foreseeable future.
Yes, this is what I have been arguing and other media reports support that analysis.

I am certainly not arguing that this will happen overnight, and as has been pointed out, TV advertising revenues are increasing at the moment. I am just saying that in the long term, this trend will reverse sharply.

Of course, the TV broadcasters could find various ways of pre-empting this scenario, but if they do not adapt, they will, unfortunately, die.
Old 19-03-2015, 13:39   #186
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

People will watch what they want when they want now that the technology allows this, the days of having to sit down at a scheduled airing time of a TV show are long gone imo, I pretty much agree with OB with regards to linear broadcasts, although it wont happen overnight.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:46   #187
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
People will watch what they want when they want now that the technology allows this, the days of having to sit down at a scheduled airing time of a TV show are long gone imo, I pretty much agree with OB with regards to linear broadcasts, although it wont happen overnight.
I agree it will increase but as existing channels provide on-demand services I don't see it being a threat to linear channels who are busily adapting accordingly. Channel 4's forthcoming All4 service is a good example of this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29154860
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 15:17   #188
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

This report says that, despite the interest from some consumers, there is minimal interest in cord cutting:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201503193...#axzz3UqRKPbLy
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 15:32   #189
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This report says that, despite the interest from some consumers, there is minimal interest in cord cutting:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201503193...#axzz3UqRKPbLy
That article makes a good point - pay-TV is bought for a household and a single package from say HBO won't cover a household's needs. I think there's also another reason in the US - the best broadband services come bundled with cable and are priced to discourage just broadband-only purchases. Competitors to cable companies just offer poor ADSL services unless you're in a Google-cabled area or your state has invested in its own fibre network.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 21:29   #190
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That article makes a good point - pay-TV is bought for a household and a single package from say HBO won't cover a household's needs. I think there's also another reason in the US - the best broadband services come bundled with cable and are priced to discourage just broadband-only purchases. Competitors to cable companies just offer poor ADSL services unless you're in a Google-cabled area or your state has invested in its own fibre network.
I suspect that a lot of cord cutters are single households. They probably won't be interested in some genresveg the childrens channels and don't have to consider the desired viewing of others.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 14:22   #191
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Decline of traditional broadcasting much exaggerated, according to Andrew Neil.

An interesting read

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/33807...ted-says-neil/
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 13:35   #192
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Decline of traditional broadcasting much exaggerated, according to Andrew Neil.

An interesting read

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/33807...ted-says-neil/
He makes much of the fact that viewing on tablets, laptops and smartphones accounts for 2% of viewing, but the telling figures are to be found further in the article:

Sky is seeing a 40% rise in on-demand viewing every year and is moving to become a quad-play provider through its deal with O2.”

Once again, the focus in this article is on the present rather than the future. New ideas often take some time to catch on, but I think the trend away from linear channels is already beginning.

Of course it is always possible that Channel 4's approach of blurring the lines between the different types of viewing with All 4, and new innovative ways of keeping advertising rates up may yet save the day. But will people really still be watching TV the old fashioned way in a decade or two's time? I have serious doubts!
Old 29-03-2015, 15:00   #193
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I must admit I watch most of my tv programs either recorded or on demand for two reasons. 1)because I work night shifts and 2)to avoid the adverts,although more and more on demand programs have adverts before or in the middle of them. I still watch live channels though especially football matches.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 16:20   #194
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I must admit I watch most of my tv programs either recorded or on demand for two reasons. 1)because I work night shifts and 2)to avoid the adverts,although more and more on demand programs have adverts before or in the middle of them. I still watch live channels though especially football matches.
Same here but all mine is done online.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 20:53   #195
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Being 3 of in my house an different tastes we often get clashes, so we normally record non BBC channels so we can cut the adverts.