Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Welsh language

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The Welsh language

Old 10-08-2017, 14:20   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
The Welsh language

Quote:
Is the Welsh language a help or hindrance to the nation?
Quote:
You can go to a Welsh medium school, come out of it and you cannot speak Welsh. What's the point in all of the money? It's nonsense.
Quote:
S4C is down, Radio Cymru is down, the Census of 2011 is down, all of them are down. All this money they're pumping into the language is not making more people speak Welsh.
Quote:
In an ideal world, everyone would just be left to their own devices and pick up Welsh naturally.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40876802
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2017, 14:36   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: "The Welsh language

Touchy subject.However there is a north/south Wales divide over it.
Old 10-08-2017, 21:02   #3
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I would love to learn Welsh... it gives Wales and its people that special identity after all I believe it is one of the rare Celtic languages in existance. It is a shame the English Celtic language did not survive due to all the invasions in England's past history.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 21:11   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The Welsh language is part of a national identity. My mother's first language was Welsh, I'm the only English born and bred in the family. Been visiting Wales for years, the amount of people speaking Welsh keeps increasing.

It's arrogant of English tourists to be offended by Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales - but they often whinge on. I think we English are jealous because we don't have much of a national identity any longer.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:10   #5
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

English is a beautifully expressive language and rightly deserves its international status. Welsh is the poetic language of the indigenous Britons. Both languages are part of our heritage and as such belong to us all.

We are to spend £m's preserving the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Stonehenge, Castles, burial sites and monuments; they are important to our history.

We should preserve our languages too for the same reason.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:20   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's arrogant of English tourists to be offended by Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales
Despite the fact that we now live in a country where everyone gets offended by everything, Ive never heard of this one.

I have heard of Welsh people speaking English, until some English people appear, then they switch to speaking Welsh.

Of course, that may not be true either.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:30   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
The Welsh language is part of a national identity. My mother's first language was Welsh, I'm the only English born and bred in the family. Been visiting Wales for years, the amount of people speaking Welsh keeps increasing.

It's arrogant of English tourists to be offended by Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales - but they often whinge on. I think we English are jealous because we don't have much of a national identity any longer.
Now now Mr K stop generalising me dear.

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Quote:

More rubbish invented claims yet again.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:14   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
More rubbish invented claims yet again.
Just look at the national days Den; St George's Day -does it mean anything to the people of England ? it's barely mentioned. Where as St. Davids, Andrews and Patrick's Day are widely celebrated in their own countries and beyond.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Despite the fact that we now live in a country where everyone gets offended by everything, Ive never heard of this one.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ist-board.html

Quote:
In many cases, this perception stemmed from use of the Welsh language. Every English focus group which took part in the study had stories about visitors feeling deliberately excluded when locals started talking in Welsh.
What the tourists don't understand is that people genuinely speak Welsh in Wales. It's been compulsory in Welsh schools for over 25 years now and use of the language has become more widespread.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:36   #9
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: The Welsh language

I wonder if people feel excluded by Germans who speak German in Germany or Spaniards who speak.......well, you get the idea.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 13:20   #10
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I learnt some of the language of heaven when I was at uni in Wales (Neuadd Pantycelyn, Aberystwyth) but that was many moons ago and since I've not used it, I've lost most of it. Some students there Welsh was definitely their first language and some struggled in English. Many went to Aber and stayed in Pantycelyn to keep their Welshness.
Old 11-08-2017, 13:39   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Dydw i ddim yn gwybod a yw hyn yn gweithio, Fi jyst ei gyfieithu â google
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:11   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just look at the national days Den; St George's Day -does it mean anything to the people of England ? it's barely mentioned. Where as St. Davids, Andrews and Patrick's Day are widely celebrated in their own countries and beyond.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ist-board.html

What the tourists don't understand is that people genuinely speak Welsh in Wales. It's been compulsory in Welsh schools for over 25 years now and use of the language has become more widespread.
It's all just a load of tosh, in my view. Language divides us, leads to misunderstandings and isolates those who speak these minority languages (unless they are bi-lingual).

In a perfect world, we would all speak one language. I'm sure we would all get on better if we did and it would cease to be a trade barrier. I'm sure there must be many a small business who would trade abroad if only they could communicate with people in those countries.

As for all these saints days, they are only useful as excuses to have a Bank Holiday for most people. Sorry, generalising again!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:15   #13
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Welsh is just Yiddish spoken by Scottish people.
Old 11-08-2017, 14:31   #14
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Old 11-08-2017, 15:16   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Dydw i ddim yn gwybod a yw hyn yn gweithio, Fi jyst ei gyfieithu â google
Ymddengys bod cyfieithu Google yn gweithio'n iawn.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote