Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 08-12-2011, 18:52   #3586
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

The Net - Sandra Bullock 9/10
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2011, 19:23   #3587
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas 8/10
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 19:58   #3588
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

The Thing (2011 remake/prequel) - 7/10. Now I wasn't expecting much from this film as "John Carpenter's The Thing" is my all time favourite film, but I was pleasantly surprised and it ties in nicely with JC's film. The special effects let it down a little and you don't really get the feel for the icy, stormy conditions as you did in the original. All in all fairly enjoyable.

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 20:45   #3589
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

Westworld 8/10
Kingofthedead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 01:42   #3590
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoSymz View Post
The Thing (2011 remake/prequel) - 7/10. Now I wasn't expecting much from this film as "John Carpenter's The Thing" is my all time favourite film, but I was pleasantly surprised and it ties in nicely with JC's film. The special effects let it down a little and you don't really get the feel for the icy, stormy conditions as you did in the original. All in all fairly enjoyable.
I thought it was OK, but not a patch on Carpenter's.

Definitely agree the FX let it down. Carpenter's is 30 years old, but IMO doesn't look dated, because the practical FX were so good.

The new one though... too much CGI rather than practical FX. Which would be bad enough anyway as CGI is just wrong for this sort of thing... but it's not even good CGI!

I would have liked it more if I had never seen Carpenter's, but as I have seen his, this one felt like a poor remake as well as a prequel. It did tie in nicely, but I think it went over too much of the same ground, but not as well. Ultimately, I think it's a rather pointless film. I just doesn't do it as well as Carpenter's, and it's not different enough to stand out on its own.

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 ----------

Not films, but West End musicals...

My wife loves musicals, and especially loves "Priscilla" (which she's seen around a dozen times, and plans on seeing every week for the last couple of months of its run (ends this year) ).

I don't like musicals. Unless they're funny, like "Avenue Q" etc.

This week, my wife took me along with her for this week's "Priscilla" trip, and then I took her to see "Blood Brothers" on her birthday.

Priscilla

It's been a while since I've seen the film, but I could still remember the basic story. This was very good. Fun, and funny. The guy who plays "Alf" in "Home and Away" played "Bob the mechanic", and got massive cheers every time he went on stage.

I quite liked the "Three Divas" myself (three women who sing the songs when the drag queens are miming).

8/10

Blood Brothers

I didn't think I'd seen this before, but memories came back to me as it was going along, so I think I must have seen it on a school trip or something many years ago.

Unlike "Priscilla", this was a musical drama, rather than a musical comedy-drama.

I don't like musical drama. Songs plus drama just seems... wrong... to me. You have what seems like a serious play, and then all of a sudden everyone breaks into song. Don't like it.

It *was* good... although the start was slow. Wet Wet Wet's Marti Pellow was very good as the narrator, and whoever it was playing the two brothers were good. But... the songs affected my enjoyment of it, and I got quite tired of Scouse Mum going on about "... like Marilyn Monroe" and Pellow going on about "the Devil's got your number!".

6/10 because I don't like musical drama. Strip the songs out, and I'd rate it higher.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 03:45   #3591
Jameseh

The Dilemma - 3/10

The 3 is based on that I watched it in HD so I could appreciate my TV, otherwise a 1. Not that I expected any other result.
Old 16-12-2011, 06:10   #3592
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Rise of the Planet of the Apes 9/10

I was dreading watching this movie as the one made about ten years ago that really was quite bad but l Have to say I loved it! Best film I have watched in years!
Old 16-12-2011, 14:58   #3593
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Yeah, I thought that Rise was excellent. Far, far better than the awful Apes film Tim Burton directed.

My *only* issue with it was the post-credits scene: I think it should have been a proper part of the film, as the actual final scene. But then I always tend to think that of post-credits scenes, as I think they're stupid.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 17:38   #3594
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Elf - 8/10
hadn't seen it for a few years, and had forgotten how good it is Bad Santa will prob be next Christmas movie we watch
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 17:48   #3595
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

A Grampa for Christmas - 2007 with Ernest Borgnine 6/10
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:27   #3596
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoSymz View Post
You've also got to remember that JC's version was a remake The original was "The Thing from Another World" made in 1951
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 16:30   #3597
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Shane Starring Alan Ladd and Walter Jack Palance 10/10

A truly wonderful western.
Old 23-12-2011, 20:46   #3598
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Arthur Christmas. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430607/
What a Great Film!
Really good and watchable, unless you`re a Grumpy Old *******.!
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:00   #3599
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Watched Contagion last night, bit hard to sit through but well worth a watch 7/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/

Also watched Smurfs Christmas carol 2/10 pretty dire IMO
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:03   #3600
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Great Expectations starring Alec Guinness and John Mills 9/10