Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 11-11-2019, 13:59   #9436
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

The story seems to be gaining traction. It seems that Sky have been 'emboldened' with extra funding from Comcast.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...mpions-league/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2019, 14:03   #9437
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The story seems to be gaining traction. It seems that Sky have been 'emboldened' with extra funding from Comcast.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...mpions-league/
So must for your predictions that Sky were going to be blown out of the water...
Old 11-11-2019, 14:17   #9438
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So must for your predictions that Sky were going to be blown out of the water...
I've never said that, Den. You're misremembering again!
Old 11-11-2019, 14:21   #9439
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I've never said that, Den. You're misremembering again!
My memory might be going OB but its quite clear and lucid when it comes to your predictions and statements.
Old 11-11-2019, 15:20   #9440
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
My memory might be going OB but its quite clear and lucid when it comes to your predictions and statements.
The fact is, I've never said it.

The closest I have gone towards that statement has been:

1. That Sky will ditch its satellite transmissions in favour of IPTV in the medium to long term.

2. That viewing will be via streaming rather than linear channels by 2035. Maybe that's what you are thinking of, but that by no means indicates that Sky will no longer be in existence.

3. That Murdoch has abandoned his project, successful until now, as he cannot compete with the global streamers. That's why Comcast has taken over, of course.

4. That one of the global players will bid for the Premier League football and bid against Sky, either in the 2019 or 2022 round.

5. That Sky need to make more originals because the various players are going for a direct to customer approach. This would deprive Sky of some important content. Since then, Sky has entered into an arrangement to make some content jointly with HBO, and of course more content is also available to them now that Comcast has taken over.

I can't think of any other comment I have made that you could have taken as meaning 'Sky will get blown out of the water' because frankly, I can't see that happening at all.
Old 11-11-2019, 15:27   #9441
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I’d much prefer the rights for UCL back on sky. Such superior coverage over BT sport I found.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 16:12   #9442
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

The problem with streaming is it relies on a good broadband connection and as many people don't get that (me included,no fibre available as yet) it won't become the way to watch tv for all for quite some time. Also,I know many people who refuse to subscribe to pay tv on any platform and are more than happy with what freeview offer. The younger generation of course are the future and all providers must look to what they are doing to stay ahead of the game. As for me I'm a dinosaur who will stick with Sky or Virgin to the bitter end!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 16:20   #9443
carravetta
cf.member

Services: Sky Q 2TB, Sky Q Multiroom, Broadband and Phone
carravetta is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a very testing time for BT

Should they lose the UEFA Club Competitions then come 2021 they would have lost potentially Champions League, Europa League along with losing Scottish Football and the FA Cup. Also they lost Serie A within the last 18 months.

I'm seeing some articles about BT possibly scaling back due to the upgrade of 5G and the pensions situation not to mention the recent purchase of EE along with managerial changes which are more favourable with cutting back on the sports rights
carravetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 16:42   #9444
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by carravetta View Post
This is a very testing time for BT

Should they lose the UEFA Club Competitions then come 2021 they would have lost potentially Champions League, Europa League along with losing Scottish Football and the FA Cup. Also they lost Serie A within the last 18 months.

I'm seeing some articles about BT possibly scaling back due to the upgrade of 5G and the pensions situation not to mention the recent purchase of EE along with managerial changes which are more favourable with cutting back on the sports rights
If BT do loose the Champions league and Europa league then I for one will cancel as I mainly subscribe so I can watch those competitions. BT need to think very carefully about this because I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this way.
Old 11-11-2019, 16:53   #9445
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I think BT will retain the European games but that's just my opinion for what it's worth.

I tend not to believe everything I read in the press , should Sky actually bid and win it's bye bye BT Sport in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/u...reaming-rights
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:21   #9446
carravetta
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
If BT do loose the Champions league and Europa league then I for one will cancel as I mainly subscribe so I can watch those competitions. BT need to think very carefully about this because I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this way.
Should they do then maybe they can look at their pricing structure as for a Sky viewer it is steep at the moment
Old 12-11-2019, 12:41   #9447
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
Should they do then maybe they can look at their pricing structure as for a Sky viewer it is steep at the moment
True. What's happening about Sky being able to sell BT sports direct to their customers? Does anyone have an update on this?

Last edited by telegramsam; 12-11-2019 at 12:41. Reason: Typo error
Old 12-11-2019, 16:02   #9448
carravetta
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
True. What's happening about Sky being able to sell BT sports direct to their customers? Does anyone have an update on this?
It has been pushed back until 2020

Having spoken to Sky last week regarding this I was told Sky had bid for the Champions League & Europa League competitions and it was waiting on the result of that auction and as a result had pushed back the BT Sport launching via Sky
Old 12-11-2019, 16:12   #9449
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I think BT will retain the European games but that's just my opinion for what it's worth.

I tend not to believe everything I read in the press , should Sky actually bid and win it's bye bye BT Sport in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/u...reaming-rights
All sorts of rumours swirling around currently but my hunch is for what its worth that there might be a new rights holder but don't bet your mortgage on it.
Old 12-11-2019, 16:54   #9450
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
It has been pushed back until 2020

Having spoken to Sky last week regarding this I was told Sky had bid for the Champions League & Europa League competitions and it was waiting on the result of that auction and as a result had pushed back the BT Sport launching via Sky
That would make sense because if Champions league and Europa league games switched to Sky or indeed to another provider many would be cancelling their by subs.