Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Data Breach Incident

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Data Breach Incident

Old 29-03-2020, 21:42   #76
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough
Re: Data Breach Incident

When it comes to Brexit negotiations I'm stuck on it, given the current economic turmoil one wonders whether we should postpone for at least months. Since that is how long the current malaise will probably last.

I want to be free from the grips of the EU ASAP, but there comes a point of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That said if we do extend then we shouldn't be paying to the EU kitty.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2020, 22:44   #77
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The topic IS NOT BREXIT.
Old 05-04-2020, 18:55   #78
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well so far I had my Facebook account hacked and just received a password change request from netflix
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 19:24   #79
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
Well so far I had my Facebook account hacked and just received a password change request from netflix
Did they actually get control of your Facebook or did you just receive a notification request to change the password?
Old 05-04-2020, 19:26   #80
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Facebook caught it as the login was in Vietnam
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 19:38   #81
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Facebook caught it as the login was in Vietnam
I hope you have made your password more secure, i recently had a reset password request on mine but as that came to my email then it meant nothing and could of been a mistake.

To be honest it really isn't a good idea using ISP email addresses for site logins banking etc etc, best to use something not tied to your ISP like Outlook or Gmail.
Old 05-04-2020, 19:45   #82
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
It's almost impossible to state that this has anything to do with Virgin, particularly if passwords are involved. Unfortunately usernames and passwords get hacked/leaked from all kinds of places these days.

Do yourself a favour, go on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and pop your email address in - this site keeps track of password lists from the internet and lets you know if yours has appeared on any. I'd be willing to bet your email and a password you have used is on a list somewhere, leaked from who knows where. You can also sign up on that site and it'll email you if a new breach occurs and your email is part of the list.

There's actually quite a market for people's stolen netflix (and other site) credentials, meaning there's an industry of tools to automate taking those password lists and trying the email/password combinations on a bunch of other sites.

The lesson from all of this is don't use the same password on more than one site. Use a password manager and use unique passwords for everything.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 19:50   #83
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Most people will likely have something flag up on that site so don't panic when yours does popup, it did prompt me to change my passwords though moving everything over to Lastpass password manager other than banking stuff.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 05-04-2020 at 20:05.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 20:20   #84
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Agreed, I also switched to Lastpass when I first started using that site. I did move away from LastPass to Bitwarden though and it's just as good. There's also 1Password, which I've not used personally but comes highly recommended.

Basically, whatever password manager you do use is the best password manager.
Old 05-04-2020, 23:12   #85
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I did move away from LastPass to Bitwarden though and it's just as good.
Why did you move ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:38   #86
Kushan

It was a couple of years ago now, but at the time LastPass really dropped the ball on their Firefox support. Somewhere around when Firefox dropped the old extensions in favour of WebExtensions, LastPass was so broken it was unusable. So I looked for alternatives and BitWarden cropped up a few times. Worked a charm and continues to do so.

It's not perfect, autofill isn't as seamless as LastPass' but beyond that its polished, works better on Android and the built-in 2FA support is fantastic. I also like that it's open source and I can run it myself (IF I so choose).
Old 02-10-2020, 16:12   #87
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Just received a phone call claiming to be from The Lloyds Banking Group. They had a lot of my details because of the data breach by Virgin Media (they left their customer details unsecured on the internet for ages). Spoke to the Lloyds Banking Group fraud department who said that they had received lots of calls about this. They advised I'd done the correct thing in ending the call and contacting Lloyds Bank & the Halifax directly. Good job I checked!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 17:04   #88
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just received a phone call claiming to be from The Lloyds Banking Group. They had a lot of my details because of the data breach by Virgin Media (they left their customer details unsecured on the internet for ages). Spoke to the Lloyds Banking Group fraud department who said that they had received lots of calls about this. They advised I'd done the correct thing in ending the call and contacting Lloyds Bank & the Halifax directly. Good job I checked!
Supposition, not proven fact.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 17:14   #89
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Supposition, not proven fact.
Indeed

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 17:38   #90
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Funny enough i had a similar call this morning + ive just had a second one all claiming to be acting from Lloyds Bank and data breach with First Virgin and secondly Amazon.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote