Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 31-08-2016, 16:43   #406
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
I don't know why I feel so sorry for Virgin, I always resented the way they killed off Tivo series 1

My mind is hazy on this, but I thought that Sky had the franchise for Tivo series 1 and behind the scenes were developing Sky+ and then dropped Tivo.

Once the VM Tivo appeared, wasn't it Tivo who dropped support for series 1?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2016, 17:03   #407
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Only works if the port is enabled. Virgin (and tbh probably others) have a track record of shipping boxes with disabled ports.

Frankly I'd be surprised if a new UHD capable box had components to drive an old fashioned scart socket (Sky Q doesn't) and, if it did, it's probably a sign it's designed by a team with more of a foot in the past than a view of the future!
Agreed but I bet I'm not the only one still using an analogue video sender to watch on a 2nd tv. They won't allow that though, as they can sell you TWO tivos. (I'm certainly not one to want to watch tv on a tablet )

Last edited by veeemmm; 31-08-2016 at 17:08. Reason: typo
Old 31-08-2016, 17:06   #408
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well MM you do seem to have a penchant for the posh gear.
Not really Den , do you not agree though it looks like one of those really cheap nasty boxes you buy for a bedroom TV you know the brands I'm referring to.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 17:08   #409
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
My mind is hazy on this, but I thought that Sky had the franchise for Tivo series 1 and behind the scenes were developing Sky+ and then dropped Tivo.

Once the VM Tivo appeared, wasn't it Tivo who dropped support for series 1?
Originally sky yes but then Tivo went independent and you could use it with Freeview, Sky or Cable by paying a monthly sub for the guide data or a one off Lifetime payment. Then Virgin entered into a UK exclusive agreement (as I understand it) with Tivo and the monthy subs/ "lifetime agreements" were null and voided, effectively killing it off although some clever people kept it going at least for a while.
Old 31-08-2016, 17:11   #410
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not really Den , do you not agree though it looks like one of those really cheap nasty boxes you buy for a bedroom TV you know the brands I'm referring to.
It looks okay MM as you have to remember that famous motto of "its not what it looks like but what is in the box" as l have seen wonderful looking machines but basically when it came to what was inside they were total duds.
Old 31-08-2016, 17:37   #411
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It looks okay MM as you have to remember that famous motto of "its not what it looks like but what is in the box" as l have seen wonderful looking machines but basically when it came to what was inside they were total duds.
Agree with you however when you've spent thousands on a decent TV you want your AV equipment you connect to it to look quality also. I primarily look at specs however it also has to look OK when purchasing.
Old 31-08-2016, 17:40   #412
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Agree with you however when you've spent thousands on a decent TV you want your AV equipment you connect to it to look quality also. I primarily look at specs however it also has to look OK when purchasing.
I honestly think it looks ok too. It's small and dark so is unlikely to be noticed by many.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 17:45   #413
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I guess it will have all the bells and whistles and probably cheap to manufacture which from a customer point probably means better deals which is good.
Old 31-08-2016, 17:57   #414
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

While it's true looks don't guarantee quality, this, as someone who has sourced electronics from Asian factories, looks like a different problem - companies seeking to get the lowest price product by buying the kind of generic piece of kit normally sold by no-name brands.

It is surely possible to get very high quality products from outsourced manufacturing, as Apple and others prove, but by active involvement in all stages of development and manufacturing, not by buying a generic box, the design objectives for which are paper specs and absolute minimum cost.

Last edited by Jong1; 31-08-2016 at 18:11.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 17:59   #415
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Thousands on a decent TV.
Old 31-08-2016, 18:08   #416
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thousands on a decent TV.
True for many of us here tracking this because we have or are upgrading to UHD. UHD is only worthwhile >50" and 4K + standards-compatible HDR still doesn't come cheap!
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 18:12   #417
veeemmm

Didn't VM themselves say it was a cheap box designed only to be multi-purpose. i.e. they can put the current VM Tivo firmware on it initially and replace it with their own platform when ready. So probably misleading to make it look like a whizzy new Tivo if that is only a short term objective???
Old 31-08-2016, 18:20   #418
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
While it's true looks don't guarantee quality, this, as someone who has sourced electronics from Asian factories, looks like a different problem - companies seeking to get the lowest price product by buying the kind of generic piece of kit normally sold by no-name brands.

It is surely possible to get very high quality products from outsourced manufacturing, as Apple and others prove, but by active involvement in all stages of development and manufacturing, not by buying a generic box, the design objectives for which are paper specs and absolute minimum cost.
I assume that LGI has been very heavily involved in the design of this box which will be in use across all of its European businesses, with Horizon software utilised outside the UK. (They've not just bought a few million from Alibaba off-the-peg with their branding on.)

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:
Didn't VM themselves say it was a cheap box designed only to be multi-purpose. i.e. they can put the current VM Tivo firmware on it initially and replace it with their own platform when ready. So probably misleading to make it look like a whizzy new Tivo if that is only a short term objective???
The rumours are that Horizon will end up licencing Tivo elements so the two platforms will probably be quite similar in the end. Tivo is only software not hardware in the UK; the only hardware style of Tivo is the remote control.
Old 31-08-2016, 18:26   #419
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I assume that LGI has been very heavily involved in the design of this box which will be in use across all of its European businesses, with Horizon software utilised outside the UK. (They've not just bought a few million from Alibaba off-the-peg with their branding on.)

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

The rumours are that Horizon will end up licencing Tivo elements so the two platforms will probably be quite similar in the end. Tivo is only software not hardware in the UK; the only hardware style of Tivo is the remote control.
OK. I see, thanks. I did wonder how they would market upgrading for a fee something you don't own and that would be changed into something different in an unspecified period of time. (e.g. pay £200 plus an extra monthly fee, for the new Tivo that might not be a Tivo in a year or twos time )
Old 31-08-2016, 18:27   #420
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally sky yes but then Tivo went independent and you could use it with Freeview, Sky or Cable by paying a monthly sub for the guide data or a one off Lifetime payment. Then Virgin entered into a UK exclusive agreement (as I understand it) with Tivo and the monthy subs/ "lifetime agreements" were null and voided, effectively killing it off although some clever people kept it going at least for a while.
Interestingly, in the USA Tivo has now voided its lifetime agreements for Tivo Series 1 which will cease to work at the end of next month. Tivo says there are about 3,500 active Series 1 Tivos, and it's offering owners a $75 prepaid Visa card.