Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 14-10-2020, 23:39   #1261
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If it's less than £3.99 I can drop Now TV.
Once we get more solid info i'll be sure to post what i can on here.
Old 15-10-2020, 00:33   #1262
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Ah yeah talk in the office is we can't see how it'd be a addon on it's own, same here if nothing comes of it i'll hold up my hands and move on lol.

As for NOWTV which a certain OB mentioned a while back vm have absolutely no interest in that being on their platform. As it stands SKY are looking more towards plusnet following BT's path which is likely seeing as BT own Plusnet.
I expected as part of the deal with Sky last year that we would possibly get Sky Atlantic content via on demand - I wasn’t expecting to get the channel too!

Yes, I did mention Now TV as a possibility, but that would be a little clumsy really, given that all the channels except SA are already on the VM platform.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 00:36   #1263
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

You've been done, jiffers, if you're paying £3.99, for now tv, unless its more than the entertainment channel that you have?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:49   #1264
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Why bother now? When the channel launched 10 years ago it was exciting and different. Big hitting shows like Boardwalk Empire and Games of Thrones have come and gone. SKY have since spread some of the channels content over their new channels SKY Comedy and SKY Documentaries. What you're left with is a shadow of its former self. An additional ad on? SKY are taking the urine. Dung for the price of gold.
Many of these shows can now be offered on demand if this information is correct, which I have no reason to disbelieve. Now TV displays many Atlantic dramas, which is why I subscribe to the entertainment pack.

Virgin viewers will notice a big difference if this is added.

I agree there’s not a lot of new stuff on the live channel at present, although live TV is suffering from the impact of the COVID restrictions right now.

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 ----------

Quote:
Could make for an 'egg on face' moment if it comes to nothing. In his defence you've only said may and there's been good reasons up to now that Sky have evidently decided to retain some content exclusively.

Everyone is entitled to take a view.
Legend killer has reported that he has seen the documentation, so there will be no ‘egg on face’ if it didn’t come off. He is merely telling us what he has seen.

I know you don’t want to be proved wrong in the things you have said in the past, but at some point you are going to have to accept that change happens.
Old 15-10-2020, 09:14   #1265
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You've been done, jiffers, if you're paying £3.99, for now tv, unless its more than the entertainment channel that you have?
I know you’re paying a fraction of this.

---------- Post added at 08:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Legend killer has reported that he has seen the documentation, so there will be no ‘egg on face’ if it didn’t come off. He is merely telling us what he has seen.

I know you don’t want to be proved wrong in the things you have said in the past, but at some point you are going to have to accept that change happens.
The egg on face refers to the strong rebuttal to MM, not the opinion offered.

I’m not sure how Sky Atlantic coming to Virgin would “prove me wrong”. I don’t think you’ll find I’ve ever said it’ll never come to Virgin Media but I’ve noticed that since you’re struggling in the streaming debate and the corona one that your new modus operandi is to claim I’ve said something I actually didn’t.

I do however love the internal conflict in here:

Quote:
Now TV displays many Atlantic dramas, which is why I subscribe to the entertainment pack.

Virgin viewers will notice a big difference if this is added.

I agree there’s not a lot of new stuff on the live channel at present, although live TV is suffering from the impact of the COVID restrictions right now.
The live channel isn’t good, obviously because that’s linear.

Last edited by jfman; 15-10-2020 at 09:18.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 15:19   #1266
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Guess work in office only guess work if it does become UK'S version of HBOMAX we could be talking around £12p/m equal to HBOMAX $14.99 in USA, it's highly unlikely though.

We've sent the documentation up to the next level now so it's a case of wait and see by it going up to the next level suggests both parties are ready to start talks.
It goes in 4 levels level 1 - documentation is recieved department i work at,
level 2 - it progresses to the companies for review
level 3- talks begin between the relevent parties.
Level 4 - a deal is reached and it moves to progressing to launch etc.
If a deal isn't reached it goes into the reject stage.
Old 15-10-2020, 17:44   #1267
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Guess work in office only guess work if it does become UK'S version of HBOMAX we could be talking around £12p/m equal to HBOMAX $14.99 in USA, it's highly unlikely though.

We've sent the documentation up to the next level now so it's a case of wait and see by it going up to the next level suggests both parties are ready to start talks.

More likely £14.99pm - usually a £1 for $1 in these things
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 18:08   #1268
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Given that Sky Atlantic is a pure scripted drama brand and HBO Max is a broad portfolio/platform of kids, movies, scripted and unscripted (more akin to Now TV’s movies, entertainment and kids packs lumped together), is there anything you reveal that would make your office think Atlantic could become something like Max? I just think nowadays anyone would be hard pressed to charge a significant premium like £12-15 for a fairly narrow proposition...

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 15-10-2020 at 18:11.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 19:54   #1269
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
Given that Sky Atlantic is a pure scripted drama brand and HBO Max is a broad portfolio/platform of kids, movies, scripted and unscripted (more akin to Now TV’s movies, entertainment and kids packs lumped together), is there anything you reveal that would make your office think Atlantic could become something like Max? I just think nowadays anyone would be hard pressed to charge a significant premium like £12-15 for a fairly narrow proposition...
All guesswork at moment but the key text as you can understand i have to be careful what i post but one line that caught our eye was "to make SKY Atlantic available at a premium service to TV providers"
Us mere lemmings at level 1 think that Atlantic will simply be added onto VMs tv pack and providers such as Plusnet will follow BTs path of going down the NOWTV route.
We'll know more once it's gone through the minions in level 2.
Old 15-10-2020, 20:26   #1270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
All guesswork at moment but the key text as you can understand i have to be careful what i post but one line that caught our eye was "to make SKY Atlantic available at a premium service to TV providers"
Us mere lemmings at level 1 think that Atlantic will simply be added onto VMs tv pack and providers such as Plusnet will follow BTs path of going down the NOWTV route.

We'll know more once it's gone through the minions in level 2.
Not if it’s premium service, surely?

Thank you for sharing this, LK, don’t get yourself into trouble, though.

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

Quote:
The live channel isn’t good, obviously because that’s linear.
It is not good at the moment due to the number of dramas being made having been suspended due to the COVID emergency.

I have acknowledged the impressive range of SA dramas on Now TV. Did you miss that?
Old 16-10-2020, 00:22   #1271
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Considering ive been paying like 1.99 for now tv and they keep offering me extensions again and again and its been going on for like a year maybe they're finally seeing the light about trying to get viewer figures up....
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 01:24   #1272
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Considering ive been paying like 1.99 for now tv and they keep offering me extensions again and again and its been going on for like a year maybe they're finally seeing the light about trying to get viewer figures up....

Stick with it mate, you won't get a better price for really decent TV
Old 16-10-2020, 09:40   #1273
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
£1.99! How on earth do you get it for such a paltry sum?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:34   #1274
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
£1.99! How on earth do you get it for such a paltry sum?

I pay even less, this was the email they sent me when my current deal was due to end.

We wanted to remind you that your current offer will shortly be coming to an end. But as a thank you for choosing NOW TV, we’ve automatically extended your offer on your Entertainment Month Pass for the next 6 months, so you’ll pay just £1.60pm (instead of £9.99)

Old 16-10-2020, 13:09   #1275
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I pay even less, this was the email they sent me when my current deal was due to end.

We wanted to remind you that your current offer will shortly be coming to an end. But as a thank you for choosing NOW TV, we’ve automatically extended your offer on your Entertainment Month Pass for the next 6 months, so you’ll pay just £1.60pm (instead of £9.99)

So the key to getting a super-good deal is simply to cancel and wait for Now TV to come back with a renewal offer?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote