Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Time for Tea?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Time for Tea?
View Poll Results: What do you call the meal at around 6pm
Dinner 24 41.38%
Tea 31 53.45%
Supper 2 3.45%
Something Else (specify below) 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2005, 23:49   #31
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones
Re: Time for Tea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
Why not just put 24 hour troughing?
cos im not a pig

my food for the next week consists of 2 tins of tomato soup...
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2005, 23:56   #32
BootBoy
cf.member

Services: Why do you ask?
BootBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

In Middle English dinner meant †œbreakfast,Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚ as did the Old French word disner, or diner, which was the source of our word. The Old French word came from the Vulgar Latin word *disi[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]n[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]re, meaning †œto break one's fast; that is, to eat one's first meal,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â a notion also contained in our word breakfast. The Vulgar Latin word was derived from an earlier word, *disi[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]i[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]n[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]re, the Latin elements of which are dis-, denoting reversal, and i[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]i[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]nium, †œfast.â €  Middle English diner not only meant †œbreakfastà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à  but, echoing usage of the Old French word diner, more commonly meant †œthe first big meal of the day, usually eaten between 9 A.M. and noon.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â Customs change, however, and over the years we have let the chief meal become the last meal of the day, by which time we have broken our fast more than once.

So there you have it, dinner is whenever you want it to be!
BootBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 00:02   #33
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
cos im not a pig

my food for the next week consists of 2 tins of tomato soup...
I like you, Dave

- not that it will help you, in any shape or form, but I wanted to say it - good luck with only the soup for tea, eat it all at once, then suffer, I reckon
Old 03-03-2005, 09:34   #34
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootBoy
In Middle English dinner meant †œbreakfast,Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚ as did the Old French word disner, or diner, which was the source of our word. The Old French word came from the Vulgar Latin word *disi[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]n[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]re, meaning †œto break one's fast; that is, to eat one's first meal,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â a notion also contained in our word breakfast. The Vulgar Latin word was derived from an earlier word, *disi[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]i[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]n[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]re, the Latin elements of which are dis-, denoting reversal, and i[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]i[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]nium, †œfast.â €  Middle English diner not only meant †œbreakfastà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à  but, echoing usage of the Old French word diner, more commonly meant †œthe first big meal of the day, usually eaten between 9 A.M. and noon.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â Customs change, however, and over the years we have let the chief meal become the last meal of the day, by which time we have broken our fast more than once.

So there you have it, dinner is whenever you want it to be!
According to www.dictionary.com which is where I believe you got the above from....it says that Dinner is the Chief meal of the day. So could be either taken at Midday or in the evening. This would infer that lunch is a light meal taken at midday..
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:51   #35
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
<snip>and no i don't live in a posh house, afternoon snack is during or just after neighbours
Why would you want a snack if you've just eaten your neighbours

Greedy boy
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:54   #36
BootBoy
cf.member

Services: Why do you ask?
BootBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
According to www.dictionary.com which is where I believe you got the above from....it says that Dinner is the Chief meal of the day. So could be either taken at Midday or in the evening. This would infer that lunch is a light meal taken at midday..
I think it was dictionary.com, but I found the same paragraph on several sites.

Lunch can only be taken at midday, without exception everybody understands that. The issue is Dinner and Tea.
If you have Dinner (your main meal) at lunchtime then you may have a tea at teatime, but if your main meal is Dinner in the evening, then you may have had a lunch?
BootBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01   #37
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
din·ner n.

The chief meal of the day, eaten in the evening or at midday.
A banquet or formal meal in honor of a person or event.
The food prepared for either of these meals.
A full-course meal served at a fixed price; table d'hÃÃ*’´te.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English diner, morning meal, from Old French disner, diner, to dine, morning meal. See dine.]
Word History: Eating foods such as pizza and ice cream for breakfast may be justified etymologically. In Middle English dinner meant †œbreakfast,Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚ as did the Old French word disner, or diner, which was the source of our word. The Old French word came from the Vulgar Latin word *disinre, meaning †œto break one's fast; that is, to eat one's first meal,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â a notion also contained in our word breakfast. The Vulgar Latin word was derived from an earlier word, *disiinre, the Latin elements of which are dis-, denoting reversal, and iinium, †œfast.â €  Middle English diner not only meant †œbreakfastà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à  but, echoing usage of the Old French word diner, more commonly meant †œthe first big meal of the day, usually eaten between 9 A.M. and noon.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â Customs change, however, and over the years we have let the chief meal become the last meal of the day, by which time we have broken our fast more than once.
I use breakfast>lunch>dinner but you can see from the above dictionary.com entry why we are a little confused about the subject

edit........I see that bootboy et al got there first
Old 03-03-2005, 10:14   #38
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Talking Re: Time for Tea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
I'm a 'Tea' Man - my dad is a 'Supper' man...
For a moment there, I thought that your dad must be called Clark...

It's called tea in my house.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:38   #39
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

It's dinner monday to Saturday, and then on Sunday it's tea, because you have a sunday roast at lunch time.
It's the law you know
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 00:37   #40
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
The meal you have around 6pm every night is called by many names. In the north a lot of folk call it "Tea" whereas in the South it is called "dinner".

What do you call it?
Wow Ya learn something all the time!!

I havent ever heard it called TEA

I usually call it supper........ (Sometimes Dinner)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:49   #41
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Talk about resurection of threads!

Probably everyone finished their dinner by now.

Halcyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:28   #42
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

6pm would be snack time.

If I could get away with it meals would be
morning = breakfast (light)
midday = lunch followed by snooze
evening (1800) = nibbles/snacking
night (2100 or later) = dinner

tea is a drink.
Old 10-07-2021, 16:49   #43
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have always said Breakfast > Dinner > Tea > Supper.

My sister started to say Breakfast > Lunch > Dinner.

This got confusing to her kids when we had them for a few days
Old 10-07-2021, 18:53   #44
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Be a Hobbit.

Breakfast - 7 a.m.
Second Breakfast - 9 a.m.
Elevenses - 11 a.m.
Luncheon - 1 p.m.
Afternoon Tea - 3 p.m.
Dinner - 6 p.m.
Supper - 9 p.m.

(Yes, I know it’s six in the book…)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 19:01   #45
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

When i was younger my parents called it Tea, but i call it Dinner now as doesn't sound right calling it Tea, you can't exactly say lets go out for Tea thats crazy and would confuse everyone.

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Supper