Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Random Disconnections?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Random Disconnections?

Old 13-07-2021, 21:26   #1
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Random Disconnections?

Hi Folks,

I've had the same setup for over a year now, and had no issues. I am using the SHUB 3 in modem mode and have an Asus router plugged into it.

Since last Tuesday I am seeing random disconnections...for some reason visiting the MSC Cruise website seems to trigger the disconnection (I've tried this on 5 times and just like magic the SHUB starts flashing white)

I've checked all cables, fully factory reset the SHUB and My Asus Router, I've posted my signal levels and they have all come back okay.

Anyway I saw this thread on the VM Forum and wanted to know if people had had the same experience...Just quoting from it as I am unsure if I can post the full link

"So what have Virgin really done! They have changed the MAC address validation in the EuroDOCSIS racks which terminate your connection. This can be done on a user by user basis. They have enabled registered MAC validation to block your router access via modem mode. The MAC address is passed through the connection to the Hub3, which is relayed to Virgin media network, whcih then blocks it. This deliberately cripples modem mode for most people on default settings.

Virgin have timed this carefully so the update to the Hub3 targets random accounts over a longer period of time, so that the impact of the racketeering is not obvious. Using Wire shark you are able to see the protocol negotiation has changed and the hub 3 is deliberately refusing a DHCP lease due to the MAC address reject error.

Your router should enable you to use a feature called "MAC Clone" and this is what is needed. Use the MAC address of the Hub3 in your MAC spoof or clone settings - then your connection is allowed."
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2021, 21:45   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Random Disconnections?

good to know thanks. You are the first user to report the problem on this forum afaik. It will be interesting to see what other people make of it. I can't see them trying to move away from modem mode or force people off it, there would be uproar.

Can you post the URL you are using for your cruising website and I'll check it out and let you know if I have the same issue.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 21:49   #3
desi112
cf.member

Sure here is the link

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/
What is weird is I am still getting constant disconnections when visiting the MSC Cruise website! or matter in fact any website now...

I've started a packet capture to see if anything dodgy is going on!

I think I'm going to be buying a new router tomorrow just to rule it out!

Last edited by desi112; 13-07-2021 at 22:26.
Old 13-07-2021, 22:12   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Can you post the URL you are using for your cruising website and I'll check it out and let you know if I have the same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi112 View Post
Old 13-07-2021, 22:26   #5
desi112
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Sorry post amended.
Old 13-07-2021, 22:38   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Works fine for me. Tried it a few times and clicked on different links and no problems.

I have read the thread on the VM forums and have calmed down a bit. The connectivity issues seem to be down to a dhcp setting on the Asus routers rather than VM doing something their side to block modem mode. I would need to lookup what the difference is between the options but mine is set to aggressive mode by default and I have never had any problems in the 4 years that I have had this Asus router.

Last edited by General Maximus; 13-07-2021 at 22:49.
Old 14-07-2021, 10:42   #7
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

No issues here either, not using an Asus router though
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 14:04   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

I have done some reading and wanted to provide some clarification for other forum users regarding some of the references and comments the op made. There is an inference that Virgin Media are blocking third party routers from access to their network and only permitting the MAC addresses of shubs and thus making modem mode redundant. This is not the case. From reading the VM forums and looking at the particular issue it is all around dhcp (i.e. getting your ip from VM) requests and the frequency at which your router asks for them. Most of us know what pings and DDoS attacks are and that you can tell you router to deny ping requests. The same thing is happening here or something similar. Virgin Media are obviously in control of their shubs and how they operate. The frequency at the which the shubs requests dhcp info will be inline with the parameters VM set so VM know they won't be an issue. If however a third party router is constantly sending unnecessary requests then it looks like VM are denying the requests their end so the router doesn't get a new ip address. At the moment it looks like it only effects Asus routers and can easily be fixed by changing a setting in the gui. From reading the VM forums you would think there was a mass conspiracy underway but when you think about it it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and I am sure the same process is applied in many other aspects of communication and maintenance requests over the network. This is the first time I have heard about it so I doubt it will affect many users however if you need further help you can have a look at this Asus support article for the setting to change. As I mentioned above, Asus routers are set to "aggressive" by default and I have never had a problem with it.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043591/