Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to find MAC address of computer on LAN?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How to find MAC address of computer on LAN?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:48   #1
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
How to find MAC address of computer on LAN?

Fairly straightforward you'd think, just do a "nbtstat -a \\computer" but it's slightly more complicated - the machine is turned off.

However, it belongs to a Win2k domain and I have access to the server which runs Windows 2003.
Is there anywhere in the AD that I can find historical MAC address info?
I've looked in the eventlog for the DNS server but can't really see much.

The reason is that I need to do a Wake On LAN - but this needs the MAC address.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2005, 10:00   #2
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
Re: How to find MAC address of computer on LAN?

Can you do an "arp -a" to show all Ip addresses with MAC addresses?
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:03   #3
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Yes but the machine that's turned off doesn't turn up.
There's got to be some log somewhere on the AD server that has it stored.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:21   #4
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Do you have access to the DHCP server?

That should have logs...

DNS server wouldnt help would it as thats just a translator for IP addresses to domain names isnt it?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:26   #5
Richard M
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
Do you have access to the DHCP server?

That should have logs...

DNS server wouldnt help would it as thats just a translator for IP addresses to domain names isnt it?
Well yes but I thought it might hold the info somewhere.
Other problem - I don't run DHCP on my network, all my private and WAN IPs are static.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:36   #6
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

You dont like making this easy do you....

Im out of ideas mate - not sure what to do now other than to say get off your ass and walk round there.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:10   #7
Richard M
Inactive

It's my main home PC, and I'm at work.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:23   #8
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

why do you need your home pc's mac whilst your at work :S???
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 13:41   #9
Richard M
Inactive

Because I want to boot it up to get some files off it.

I have 3 machines at home: 1 DC, 1 XP desktop and 1 Linux server.
I can remote into any of these from work but only the DC is running 24/7.
I can remote desktop into this and use a Wake On LAN tool to boot up the XP desktop but I don't have the MAC addy.
Old 08-04-2005, 14:39   #10
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
Because I want to boot it up to get some files off it.

I have 3 machines at home: 1 DC, 1 XP desktop and 1 Linux server.
I can remote into any of these from work but only the DC is running 24/7.
I can remote desktop into this and use a Wake On LAN tool to boot up the XP desktop but I don't have the MAC addy.
Ah i see.....

hmmm..... i dont think you can get its mac, unless the arp table on the dc is currently remembering it (hence the arp -a dos command posted above)
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 18:46   #11
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Can you get the properties from Computer objects in AD? - My AD is t1ts up at present so cannot test! - I think the mac addy is there or it might be one of the extended attributes
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 18:55   #12
Richard M
Inactive

No you can't.
I've made a note of it now that I'm home and have put it in a text file on the DC's desktop!