Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

Old 22-05-2018, 13:41   #16
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

my elderly neighbour will be upset if he is forced to get a new box as he record to VHS via scart from his box

I don't think he'l appreciate the advantage of hdmi lead to connect to tv, he'll just be confused about how he can record, and keep programmes
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2018, 14:42   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
my elderly neighbour will be upset if he is forced to get a new box as he record to VHS via scart from his box

I don't think he'l appreciate the advantage of hdmi lead to connect to tv, he'll just be confused about how he can record, and keep programmes
All technology changes, unfortunately that's the way of the world. And after the changes it may not suit everyone.

The same happened when ntl and Telewest closed their analogue services. There were people relying on the 1-5 analogue TV broadcasts via the coax and didn't want to lose that.

But as then, some of the way people have the existing kit set up may not work with other TV platforms either.
Old 28-05-2018, 18:47   #18
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

he got a letter last week, box is being delivered tomorrow so I have the joy of setting it up and showing him how to use it tomorrow evening.

I've tried to explain the advantages of tivo, let's hope once he uses it he'll see how great it is, at least he's got a couple of months to get use to it before the football starts again, which is all he really cares about
Old 28-05-2018, 18:57   #19
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Ben what will happen if someone has V Box and v+ Box?

Can their keep the V+ Box (if yes can they ask for it to be moved)?

Or will they get two new TiVo boxes?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 19:30   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
he got a letter last week, box is being delivered tomorrow so I have the joy of setting it up and showing him how to use it tomorrow evening.

I've tried to explain the advantages of tivo, let's hope once he uses it he'll see how great it is, at least he's got a couple of months to get use to it before the football starts again, which is all he really cares about
Try to keep it simple so he can understand. Don't try to cram too much in all at once. The EPG, the recordings and how to change channels should be the focus first of all. Don't tell him anything else for a few days until he's digested it all and has grown familiar with the basic operation of the box. Hopefully, he will get there in the end. Remember to tell him that if he gets lost, the 'Home' button is his friend.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 22:34   #21
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Ben what will happen if someone has V Box and v+ Box?

Can their keep the V+ Box (if yes can they ask for it to be moved)?

Or will they get two new TiVo boxes?
Only V-Boxes are being replaced at the moment. V+ and V-HD boxes are unaffected.

If you have a manned install, ask nicely if you want the boxes moved. Or just move them yourself afterwards,
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 11:40   #22
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Try to keep it simple so he can understand. Don't try to cram too much in all at once. The EPG, the recordings and how to change channels should be the focus first of all. Don't tell him anything else for a few days until he's digested it all and has grown familiar with the basic operation of the box. Hopefully, he will get there in the end. Remember to tell him that if he gets lost, the 'Home' button is his friend.

I wouldn't even bother with the recording side at first. Also switch off suggestions
Old 29-05-2018, 11:45   #23
admars
cf.mega poster

good point, suggestions will confuse him, he'll want to record to VHS just in case he wants to keep it
Old 29-05-2018, 12:14   #24
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
good point, suggestions will confuse him, he'll want to record to VHS just in case he wants to keep it
VHS - really??
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 12:53   #25
admars
cf.mega poster

yep, it's what he knows and loves
he has a couple of Panasonic freeview VHS DVD recorders (one in living room with Tv and cable, one in dining room which just has tv aerial for freeview)

he has loads of tapes going back years he won't part with, i gave up trying to explain the advantage of the dvd recorder.

he's confused by the idea of the machine recording to a hard drive, I've explained I love it, but is worried that if it goes wrong and Virgin have to repair box he'll lose programmes, which is true, I've had that and it is a right PITA. there's also advtange that he can use VHS to record in living room, and watch in dining room.

He'd be the first to admit he's a stubborn old man that doesn't want to move with them times, he just wants to watch/record his football hopefully when he finds out he can record 2 matches at once, or if there's an overlap can watch, pause, rwd while its recording he'll come round

I occasionally go round there to watch the footy, and it's quite painful watching it on his nice 40" LG LCD TV plugged in via scart to old cable box
Old 29-05-2018, 14:00   #26
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Reasons to change to DVD

VHS tapes seriously degrade over time.

VHS tapes stretch, break when used time and again.

Are New VHS tapes even available now - can't remember when I last saw them in shops.

Recording to DVD no more likely to fail than recording to VHS.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 14:20   #27
admars
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Reasons to change to DVD

VHS tapes seriously degrade over time.

VHS tapes stretch, break when used time and again.

Are New VHS tapes even available now - can't remember when I last saw them in shops.

Recording to DVD no more likely to fail than recording to VHS.
lol, he was worried that shops would stop doing them so he has loads! he also took loads of my old ones when I was going to tape them to the tip.

he's a creature of habit, he knows where is copying tape to tape, removing adverts etc, he doesn't want to learn how to do all that with DVD.
Old 30-05-2018, 21:22   #28
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough

I phoned to downgrade my package today. Spoke to retentions, i wanted to have the TiVo discontinued as was only keeping it to watch old recordings. Was told I had to have the V+ removed as the system wouldn't let it through. Also insisted the V+ would be discontinued in 2 months anyway?. I have not received any information on this. Would I be offered a V6 when the V+ is removed as i have a TiVo?
trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 00:19   #29
admars
cf.mega poster

phase 1 of operation box swap is complete!

the box is plugged in, set it to record the Pompeii thing on 5 for him the next few days, and left the TV on 3 so he could watch the soaps this evening!

Poor bloke very confused that he doesn't have to change what he's watching to record what he wants, he was worried about running out of "tape" so I explained it like having 50 tapes inside the Tivo box.

we're going to go through watching what's been recorded at the weekend when he's had a few days to play with the guide at his own pace. i think he'll be ok with the concept of that, as it's not disimilar to the freeview one on the panasonic vhs/dvd-r and he happily sets the guide to the program he wants to record on that.

turned off suggestions, thanks for that, he would have got even more confused about the box recording things he didn't tell it to.

the main thing he was happy about, was that when he pressed whatever he pressed for sky sports, it still went to that, then the same for Yesterday and bbc4

Transferring to vhs I may have to get him to leave the house so he doesn't rabbit it on at me, and I can just remind myself how to do it

now the old box, had to scart sockets, one to the tv, and one to one of the video recorders.

the new box has 1 scart socket, which to do things this evening quick and easy i connected to tv.

if i remember correctly,I played with this on mine a long time ago, if you connect the tv to the tivo box with hdmi lead, if you want to transfer to external recorder, you have to go through menus to do that don't you?

so, if i don't use the hdmi lead, but have the scart going into back of tv from cable box, and from other scart socket on tv into VHS, can he record what the tv is currently watching? i.e. it's only any use to record something he's watching but wants to keep, or a football match he's watching but may miss the end if he falls asleep actually i suppose i'd be better off scart from tivo to vcr scart scocket 1, scart socket 2 on vcr to tv, but then he can't copy vcr to vcr! He'll have to use dining room VCRs for that

I think I'm going to have to get him used to recording to the tivo box, and then "backup" to vhs only if he really has to.

i started to explain to him, how he'll love it when he gets the hang of it, and he can record 2 shows at once, or not worry about them overlapping, or pause/rwd live tv, but he was keen to put off learning anything else till weekend at risk of overload

Last edited by admars; 31-05-2018 at 00:26.
Old 31-05-2018, 01:28   #30
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Admars running a scart from the TV to VHS only outputs from VHS in direction towards the TV i.e. you can play videos on the TV.

Use the HDMI to output to the TV and connect the VHS's 2nd scart to the Tivo. When he wants to playback videos it will play via 1st scart which goes from VHS to scart on TV.

The menus to transfer to DVD was the V+ I think (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). As far as I recall you just playback the show you want and simultaneously press record on the VHS.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote