Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Metallica ROCK ON!!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

Metallica ROCK ON!!!!!
View Poll Results: Is metallica good
Yes, they rock 14 36.84%
No, they suck 14 36.84%
They're ok 10 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-07-2007, 18:01   #16
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp
Re: Metallica ROCK ON!!!!!

having grown up listening to chiltern (local) radio, tim westwood (then on capital), John Peel, and local pirate stations - I think I have quite ecclectic tastes, if not at least 'tolerance' for different kinds of music. I'm not saying so and so is rubbish, but some stuff just really doesn't float my boat. I like some Metallica, but preferably not ones with long widdly solos! :P

My favourite band is a band called 'A'. I also love The Pecadiloes, and I did love Hell Is For Heroes (Neon Handshake era only). Other favourite band = Understand.
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2007, 18:47   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

My brother was always in to them while we were growing up. Personally I can't stand heavy metal - so I vote they suck.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 19:14   #18
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

face, I'd, own, rather, my, eat - please re-arrange.

Each to their own, and I'm glad that people enjoy them, but not to my taste.

Guess how I voted <snicker>
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 19:27   #19
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I think they were great up to & including the "Black" album.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 10:54   #20
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

call me slightly odd, but St Anger is one of my favourite Metallica songs. Though I prefer the cover that Funeral for a Friend did with Zane Lowe on gonzo a couple of years ago (with toy instruments, it was really good!)
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 13:46   #21
NEONKNIGHT

Thumbs up Re: Metallica ROCK ON!!!!!

Metallica are one of my favourites. Their live double album S&M recorded with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Kamen, is without doubt, one of rocks finest hours. The arrangements between band and orchestra are simply stunning. Classic.
Old 16-07-2007, 13:55   #22
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
Metallica are one of my favourites. Their live double album S&M recorded with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Kamen, is without doubt, one of rocks finest hours. The arrangements between band and orchestra are simply stunning. Classic.
Yep that one lives in my car stereo
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 13:58   #23
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Yep that one lives in my car stereo
Snap!
Old 17-07-2007, 22:27   #24
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Im more of a SKA man, but I love rock not this crap they call rock now. Best gig I went to was way back in 95, Monsters of rock escape from the studio tour & the 88 tour also has some fond memories.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:15   #25
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkat
http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/dossier/id374/pg1/ never quite liked them anyhow although i do like hm.
I agree....I went and found your link

http://web.archive.org/web/200403252...sier/id374/pg1

I dont know why they cared that people were sharing MP3s,THEY SOUND LIKE CRAP!!!!!! -- Why did they care?? (Digital is crappy compared to analogue so why bother trying to stop it??)

I like that they stayed 100% ANALOGUE on all thier 80s records!!!!! (They used 1/2" tape and nothing digital in the chain)

Its sad more bands didnt do this...... ITS HARD FINDING GOOD ANALOGUE SOUND from the 80s on!!! (Well late 70s it starts)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:27   #26
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Took you 11years? Dedication to the cause, man.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 23:36   #27
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

they cared because they were a struggling band trying hard to make ends meet Those ivory towers don't come cheap

I think Hetfield needed something new to whine about?

I think the S/T /the black album, was the beginning of the end, Master of Puppets is a great record, and the most recent one is best they've done in years, but in between is all meh.

I think it was Trey Spruance talking about the Metallica thing, found it funny, and like you said, he couldn't understand ppl wanting the low quality mp3s. He was funny though 'cos he said, they make next to no money from CDs so that didn't hurt him, but a big band liek Metallica probably would lose a few dollars. He said though on the plus side of illegal downloading, ppl may buy the next CD, but more importantly for him finanically may come to a live show, and even better buy a t-shirt

Last edited by admars; 01-07-2018 at 23:39.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:49   #28
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by admars
they cared because they were a struggling band trying hard to make ends meet Those ivory towers don't come cheap

I think Hetfield needed something new to whine about?
Ya your most likely right bud!!
Old 02-07-2018, 20:03   #29
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

http://web.archive.org/web/200403252...sier/id374/pg1

I dont know why they cared that people were sharing MP3s,THEY SOUND LIKE CRAP!!!!!! -- Why did they care?? (Digital is crappy compared to analogue so why bother trying to stop it??)

I like that they stayed 100% ANALOGUE on all thier 80s records!!!!! (They used 1/2" tape and nothing digital in the chain)

Its sad more bands didnt do this...... ITS HARD FINDING GOOD ANALOGUE SOUND from the 80s on!!! (Well late 70s it starts)
Ulrich wasn't really complaining about the medium, more the act of people redistributing unauthorised copies of copyrighted material. People could have been and probably were distributing uncompressed copies of the songs. Unfortunately for the recording industry that was the beginning of the end, not to mention the end of the revenue streams for a lot of coke dealers.

Regards the mp3 format: The harsh reality is that the original mastering of the track which the mp3 was created from is probably just as crap and overloaded with compression vis-a-vis "the loudness war" where the soul and the dynamic range is bled out of the original recording at the behest of some suit in the record company.

Analogue recording is not a panacea for anything, in fact tape is a pretty awful medium with which to preserve a performance so you really do need to know your onions to create something remotely pleasant sounding. Really good recording engineers were (and still are) coveted and expensive to hire.

Having said that you cannot abuse an analogue master in the way that some engineers do when working for CD or digital media: You simply cannot push the dynamics or the stereo width or the acetate simply will not press properly. This creates a comfort zone which, to many, is warm and pleasing to the ear. In other words it creates the illusion that vinyl is better than digital etc. etc.

However: If you want to hear a very, very bad vinyl mix/master then listen to the original pressing of "And Justice for All". Rumour has it that Cliff Burton's bass is in the mix somewhere!
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:07   #30
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I have the original mix and its goregous!!!!!! (I have the record and cassette - Both 100% analogue)

Its mixed exactly like an analogue recording should be mate

I hear bass and its excellent.. Its just how I remember those songs...