Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Paying at the supermarket checkout

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Paying at the supermarket checkout

Old 09-07-2021, 12:14   #31
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Paying at the supermarket checkout

My experience with Asda has been very positive with few substitutions. They often tell you the day before anything that isn't available. Except for just before Christmas, I have never had a problem booking a reasonably priced delivery slot within the following day or two.

I can only repeat what a bargain to get somebody to do your shopping and deliver it at a time of your choice! Amazing
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2021, 14:54   #32
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've been scanning at packing for years.

I have a large foldable keep cold for chilled and frozen food.

I have several large and small bags from Tesco and Sainsbury's, and I pack according to weight and type, I will never put 5kg od spud on bread or soft fruit.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:27   #33
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I do the shopping because I can't trust others to do it properly.The last time I did an Asda online shop I had 17 substitutions with products that in no way resembled what I had ordered.
Unless they have changed their system, you can disabled substitutions.

(I wish Morrisons would do the same).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:08   #34
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Exactly as we had a Morrisons order several weeks ago and there were quite a few substitutions which as soon as they come to the door we politely asked them to take back which they did.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:57   #35
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Then I still have to go and get the products they haven't supplied from somewhere else.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:53   #36
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I like doing the weekly food shopping (at Morrisons) - I have a list in my phone, but I like buying extra odds and ends a I go round the shop (usually red wine, but occasionally whatever is on offer).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:59   #37
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Sorry Old Boy, I can't resist. Are you going to put (a moving) timescale on that prediction?
I find on this forum it’s best to say ‘coming soon’.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I do the shopping because I can't trust others to do it properly.The last time I did an Asda online shop I had 17 substitutions with products that in no way resembled what I had ordered.
I find Asda to be the least reliable where deliveries are concerned. Sainsbury’s and Ocado are pretty good on the whole.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:47   #38
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

We have Tesco deliver our groceries once a week, and generally book a slot each week for the following three weeks. I don't allow substitutions, but pick up missing items or extras during the week in town. Each to their own, works for us.

PS Not all of us have mobile phones.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:08   #39
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Sorry Old Boy, I can't resist. Are you going to put (a moving) timescale on that prediction?
Amazon currently are doing this
Old 11-07-2021, 11:50   #40
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
We have Tesco deliver our groceries once a week, and generally book a slot each week for the following three weeks. I don't allow substitutions, but pick up missing items or extras during the week in town. Each to their own, works for us.

PS Not all of us have mobile phones.
Over the lockdown I have done really well with substitutes. Often gotta better products. Sometimes of course they do something silly. Last week the substituted frozen Green Beans with frozen Broccoli but then said my frozen broccoli I had on my order was unavailable hehehe
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:27   #41
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Asda’s stock prediction algorithm has got quite aggressive since lockdown. We frequently get emails warning us items we’ve ordered for home delivery are out of stock, when 24 hours later those items are delivered without issue. It becomes a problem if you attempt to amend the order the night before delivery because it forces you to remove any items from the trolley that it predicts won’t be available. It’s annoying when you know that if you just leave it alone the items will almost certainly be delivered as ordered.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 13:13   #42
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
They are trialling it

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog...peedier-sales/

But I'm not sure what advantage it would bring for most of their stores. My local Aldi would have to take out at least one till to put self-serve ones in, and I can't see it speeding anything up much. Especially considering my local one still seems very popular with full trolley shoppers.

I can only really see it being useful for them where they either have their bigger stores and have space for them or allowing them smaller locations where putting in enough of their usual tills wouldn't be possible.

Personally I always prefer using the scan and pay services when they are available. Although it's not as 'handsfree' as the Amazon version, since the mobile app versions came along it's good enough for how I shop.
And as if by magic and against what I thought they'd do, my local Aldi now has self-scan tills replacing several of the others.
Old 13-07-2021, 19:18   #43
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I like doing the weekly food shopping (at Morrisons) - I have a list in my phone, but I like buying extra odds and ends a I go round the shop (usually red wine, but occasionally whatever is on offer).
Yes it's good they stuff wine at the end of every aisle .Go in for a couple of bottles cone out with 6 !

Online shopping does allow you to be more in control, less aisle placement impulse buying, and know what you're spending, instead of it getting a nasty checkout surprise !

Each to their own, don't think I'd go back to shopping instore now, it wastes too much of my valuable time more than anything else, particularly at checkout.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 17:47   #44
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I never use self check out and i never pay by card. People will be out of a job with these check out. Maybe old fashioned but i prefer cash,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 17:51   #45
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

To be accurate we do our main shop online, but still pop into Morrisons 2 or 3 times a week for extra items we decide we want (and certain fresh items like fruit).

Dont queue at checkouts though, we use the self service, and pay by [contactless] card.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote