Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Could this be owned by Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Could this be owned by Virgin

Old 21-04-2021, 22:38   #1
Device
cf.member

Device is on a distinguished roadDevice is on a distinguished road
Could this be owned by Virgin

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post. This forum came up during a google search.

There is a flat top rectangular cabinet that sits in our hedges within our gardens boundary and not out on the pavement itself.

It's been hidden in our hedges all the years we lived here. I did try to identify it online in the past to see if it could be remove completely as its rusting away at the back, plus looking to create driveway, but nothing really looked the same.

I also asked an OpenReach engineer who was working across the road if he be able to ID it. He said been doing the job 40 years and he wasn't sure want it was (no markings or stamps), he said could be electricity for street lights or cable from Virgin.

Well anyway, today i noticed our hedges had been cut away to gain access to it and could see whoever it was has left it unlocked and had not closed the door complete over.

So looked inside (pictures attached) and it as WISI Amplifier and judges pictures they put nice new white coaxial cable in.

Would anyone in here know if this is likely to be owned by Virgin, Cant think of who else it could be.

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210421_194244.jpg (1,004.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 20210421_194248.jpg (866.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 20210421_194259.jpg (646.7 KB, 101 views)
Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2021, 04:25   #2
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Could this be owned by Virgin

Yes. That amplifier has a QR code on it as well, so they probably installed it when recently accessing the cabinet.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:46   #3
Hutch6271
cf.member

Hutch6271 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like an old communal matv system. Is there a TV connection point in the house?

Last edited by Hutch6271; 22-04-2021 at 09:50.
Hutch6271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:57   #4
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Very pleased to see that the money from the latest price rise is being spent on new white cables infrastructure
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 10:16   #5
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Its either MATV or you have found some old Rediffusion network. This does not look like anything VM currently has in its network. If you DM me the address location I can confirm what it is for you.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 10:33   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

... and I’m happy to confirm that we know Weesteev is a Virgin employee and it’s safe to send him that information.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 10:48   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Yes. That amplifier has a QR code on it as well, so they probably installed it when recently accessing the cabinet.
You're seeing things, there's no QR code in sight.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 11:04   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You're seeing things, there's no QR code in sight.
There is a QR code in the first image on the label (passing my glasses to you).
Old 22-04-2021, 11:57   #9
Device
cf.member

Aye jfman i had noticed the QR code, i take it they've replaced that old rusted Wolsey electronics box with the WISI.

Hutch6271 - There is a satellite dish and tv aerial on our roof with cables running down to our living room, but don't think there is anything coming from the ground into our house. Our house is on a corner of a cross roads so they are all semi detached. had a wee look at google maps and the semis all seem to have tv aerials, the the 4-in-a-block houses running down the streets don't seem to have aerials. It a mixture of council and bought houses around here.

Carth - To be fair Virgin Media had dug up all the roads and pavements here putting in cabling about 2 year ago. That's why i was beginning to think the cabinet was electricity for street lights, as they never cut our hedge away to gain access to it. but thinking back it would have been Virgin fibre broadband being installed in the area.

aye weesteev i'll ping you the address. if its MATV is that a council ownership thing. take it the fact someone has access it after all these years its still in use so wont be able to remove it or move it.

thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
Old 22-04-2021, 12:20   #10
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Hi Device, I'm not able to help you but thought that a "Welcome to the forums" was in order.

Nice to see that our members are on form and always happy to help new members.
Old 22-04-2021, 12:53   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
There is a QR code in the first image on the label (passing my glasses to you).
So there is, I had to enlarge the image to see it though.

Apologies jfman.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:59   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

It doesn't look like a standard QR code?
Old 26-04-2021, 14:41   #13
Device
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Hi Device, I'm not able to help you but thought that a "Welcome to the forums" was in order.

Nice to see that our members are on form and always happy to help new members.

Thanks Joglyyne,

I should have probably asked here a few year back.

Here's hoping i can identify it.

The daughter of our elderly neighbour just knocked my door there to ask about the box as her mum not had any TV signal for a few days now.

I said I taken a picture of it to try identify who owns it. So sounds like whoever open it has knocked the neighbours tv off.
Old 26-04-2021, 17:19   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
It doesn't look like a standard QR code?
It looks like the QR codes we put on our products at work for their serial numbers.
Old 26-04-2021, 17:49   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It looks like the QR codes we put on our products at work for their serial numbers.

I thought QR codes had the 3 black boxes?