Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

Old 13-07-2021, 16:09   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

I’ve just plugged our Amazon Fire stick into the TV at our holiday flat and found it is running interminably slowly. It has been attached to the TV in the spare room at home and I haven’t used it myself in quite some time. I’m assuming it has been updated into obsolescence by Amazon and is struggling with newer software that it can’t cope with.

Fortunately, a member of the family has left a Roku Express player down here - just the basic one, so it lacks the voice remote or 4K support but so far I’m impressed with how straightforward it is, and that it doesn’t push its own content as hard as Amazon does.

I’m resigned to having to replace the Fire stick when we get home, as it is now barely functional. While I am very tempted to get a Roku instead, I’m curious whether anyone else has any input before I buy? Are there any hidden pitfalls with the Roku that I might have missed?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2021, 16:13   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

It is all down to what you want to use it for. If the Roku provides all the content you need then great but the Fire devices can run most standard apks meaning more content and games and so on.

Firestick tip if you tend to run a lot of different apps go into settings and stop the ones you are not using otherwise they all just keep running slowing it down

As you said they also push all things amazon but I install adguard and do not get many on tin the menus and it blocks a good few when using Silk too
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 16:22   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We have one purely for smartening dumb TVs, like the one in the spare room at home, or if we use our own holiday flat or an Airbnb. I’m not worried about the game content, side loading or any of the other crud people like doing with these things.
Old 13-07-2021, 16:57   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We have one purely for smartening dumb TVs, like the one in the spare room at home, or if we use our own holiday flat or an Airbnb. I’m not worried about the game content, side loading or any of the other crud people like doing with these things.
Well looks like you answered the question. Seeing as the Roku does not have the bloat and you do not want the extra features
Old 13-07-2021, 17:48   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I think they are both good, but Amazon has the nice new, modern user interface.
Old 13-07-2021, 18:22   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think they are both good, but Amazon has the nice new, modern user interface.
Words I'd use myself to describe the Roku interface.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 18:56   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Has the Amazon interface changed? I haven’t particularly noticed a change on our Fire stick, although that might mean there has been a further update they didn’t force on it. Based on this afternoon’s use of the Roku, I’m impressed with how clean it is. Obviously it’s also a lot faster than my Fire stick but that’s because the Amazon device is so old (I do periodically check and shut down memory hogging apps - it makes no appreciable difference sadly).
Old 13-07-2021, 19:02   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Has the Amazon interface changed? I haven’t particularly noticed a change on our Fire stick, although that might mean there has been a further update they didn’t force on it. Based on this afternoon’s use of the Roku, I’m impressed with how clean it is. Obviously it’s also a lot faster than my Fire stick but that’s because the Amazon device is so old (I do periodically check and shut down memory hogging apps - it makes no appreciable difference sadly).
guessing your stick may be out of the updated interface loop as it is old
Old 13-07-2021, 19:20   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Words I'd use myself to describe the Roku interface.
Have they changed it recently, then? I must confess I haven’t used mine for a good few months now as I can get all my apps on my Sony smart TV and the 360. The Roku stick was only about a year old last time I used it, and the interface was quite old fashioned, whereas the Amazon Fire stick reminded me of Sky Q technology.
Old 13-07-2021, 21:38   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Have they changed it recently, then? I must confess I haven’t used mine for a good few months now as I can get all my apps on my Sony smart TV and the 360. The Roku stick was only about a year old last time I used it, and the interface was quite old fashioned, whereas the Amazon Fire stick reminded me of Sky Q technology.
It hasn't changed. It's just my idea of modern.

The screenshots/vids I've seen of the Firestick interface I can't say I like. It's all sparkle, clutter and poor usability from what I've seen.

But everyone's got their own preferences.

Once you load up an app the interface changes to that of the app provider, so simple, and clean is all that is required in order to launch it.
Old 13-07-2021, 23:22   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Yes, I think it’s down to personal preference. They are both good, though.
Old 27-07-2021, 21:13   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Well, having lived with the entry-level Roku Express box in our holiday flat for 2 weeks, I’ve ordered one for our spare room TV at home to replace our obsolete Amazon Fire stick. I’ve been very pleased with its simplicity and responsiveness. I was also pleased to find it on offer for £19.99 … at Amazon.
Old 28-07-2021, 00:10   #13
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well, having lived with the entry-level Roku Express box in our holiday flat for 2 weeks, I’ve ordered one for our spare room TV at home to replace our obsolete Amazon Fire stick. I’ve been very pleased with its simplicity and responsiveness. I was also pleased to find it on offer for £19.99 … at Amazon.
Gah! We got a new one at around the same time and it was £29.

Still pleased, it has Apps that aren't supported on our existing Roku as well as being more responsive.
Old 28-07-2021, 11:50   #14
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Firestick interface was updated recently but not too drastically. It's great for casting stuff though like "The Chosen". Open app on table, select to cast to Firestick, select and play episode you want.

("The Chosen" is a brilliant crowd funded series on the life of Jesus, more especially those around Him. My favourite is S1E3 where Jesus interacts with children. S2 has just ended and last I checked they've raised enough to S3E4 and mostly there to S3E5. It operates on a pay-it-forward meaning it's free to view but you can pay to keep available to others. Worth watching. Worth watching the "extras" to see how they filmed Palestine in Utah and Texas in the winter - brrr!)
Old 28-07-2021, 12:31   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Firestick interface was updated recently but not too drastically. It's great for casting stuff though like "The Chosen". Open app on table, select to cast to Firestick, select and play episode you want.

("The Chosen" is a brilliant crowd funded series on the life of Jesus, more especially those around Him. My favourite is S1E3 where Jesus interacts with children. S2 has just ended and last I checked they've raised enough to S3E4 and mostly there to S3E5. It operates on a pay-it-forward meaning it's free to view but you can pay to keep available to others. Worth watching. Worth watching the "extras" to see how they filmed Palestine in Utah and Texas in the winter - brrr!)
Thanks for letting me know it's something I don't want/need to watch.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote