Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2008, 10:43   #6856
hOrZa
Inactive

hOrZa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Soon all newborn will be given chip implants at birth. And your every move throughout the world will be monitored.
If its just tracking then they could already be doing it

http://www.tfot.info/news/1032/hitac...rfid-chip.html
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2008, 10:59   #6857
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Well, I've just had another letter from Tim Boswell saying that he's noted my helpful further comments on the phorm/webwise issue. Looking forward to seeing what he gets done.
Old 20-05-2008, 11:13   #6858
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Lets not get diverted by other matters all deserve their own threads for discussions since they all need a different type of battle this is the present battle and this does need to be rained in. Phorm/webwise with its patent and manipulated by an untrustworthy scriptor has the ability to take over your identity, all from your own PC and from within your ISP....

That is the main link that the ISP is willing to allow rootkit servers on their network.

So come on anything that you feel is invading your privacy start a new thread you can link to it so others will not miss it but please let us keep on track here...
Old 20-05-2008, 11:30   #6859
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Sort of related...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...d_consent.html
Old 20-05-2008, 12:10   #6860
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

X-Post from badphorm, I just noticed a subtle change (I think) to the wording on webwise.bt.com site.

Instead of saying

BT Webwise is not available until BT Webwise is switched on.

It now says...

The Webwise feature is not available at this time.

Not sure what significance (if any) this has. But someone is clearly twiddling with it.

Rob? Any ideas?
Old 20-05-2008, 12:12   #6861
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
International working group set up to investigate legal solutions to informed consent, managed by 80/20 thinking.
Old 20-05-2008, 12:34   #6862
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
International working group set up to investigate legal solutions to informed consent, managed by 80/20 thinking.
What's wrong with the current solution?

Not convenient enough for Phorm I suppose!

EDIT: Still I suppose Simon "Two Hats" will get to pay his mortgage on time from the proceeds

Old 20-05-2008, 12:45   #6863
Paddy1
cf.addict

Paddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Link
An international working group has been created to help uncover solutions to the problem of how to create a "legally acceptable means of establishing consumer consent".
How about asking them up front, clearly and succinctly?
Old 20-05-2008, 12:47   #6864
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
What's wrong with the current solution?
There's nothing wrong with the current solution, unless you've broken the law already.

Then you need to change the law (retrospectively) or buy an opinion, to avoid prison.

I understand the working group will be filmed, and the entire event will be placed unedited on the Web shortly.
Old 20-05-2008, 13:02   #6865
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
X-Post from badphorm, I just noticed a subtle change (I think) to the wording on webwise.bt.com site.

Instead of saying

BT Webwise is not available until BT Webwise is switched on.

It now says...

The Webwise feature is not available at this time.

Not sure what significance (if any) this has. But someone is clearly twiddling with it.

Rob? Any ideas?
Nope. No idea at all and I have nothing to add! Its gone v quiet! (I think they'll attack at dawn)

I see BT are still basically advertising a cookie based opt-out, with an option to block www.webwise.net cookies as a permanent opt-out if you do't want webwise cookies on your computer.

No sign on the FAQ of a change to opt-IN but then the Webwise trial is Opt-IN anyway and they aren't saying anything about the final design of Webwise at this point. I think they have realised that the safest way to avoid putting their feet in their mouths is to keep their mouths closed.

No sign either of how the Webwise trial invitation is to be issued - whether by illegal interception of a browsing request for a 3rd party site or merely by a legal customer service message when a customer visits BT-ISP customer pages such as bt.com or BTYahoo Homepage or BTYahoo Webmail.

No indication of how comprehensive the informed consent will be on the Webwise trial invitation.

BT are now blocking my emailed questions with their spam filters, unless I change to a new address. I've asked if they can explain why they are doing that rather than just admitting that they don't want to answer any more questions, so I can forward their reply to the regulator. And I've sent a list of legal questions by snail mail to the BT Retail legal department.

Latest "official" Webwise trial commencement date now only six days away with formal 24 hours notice therefore only five days away (Sunday!!)

BT Beta forums currently throwing up server errors all morning. Some BT customers reporting problems logging into BTYahoo! webmail.

Reading between the lines of Dr Richard Clayton's blog, I suspect he may be getting very annoyed at being misled by Phorm. Aren't we all!?
Old 20-05-2008, 13:04   #6866
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
There's nothing wrong with the current solution, unless you've broken the law already.

Then you need to change the law (retrospectively) or buy an opinion, to avoid prison.

I understand the working group will be filmed, and the entire event will be placed unedited on the Web shortly.
Right next to the Phorm video I expect!
Old 20-05-2008, 13:11   #6867
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Soon all newborn will be given chip implants at birth. And your every move throughout the world will be monitored.

It would seem that in the US, they are now actively discussing the legality of web monitoring for ads.

NebuAd refused to disclose what advertising networks--such as DoubleClick or Microsoft's Aquantive--it uses, or what broadband providers it counts as customers. So did Phorm and Front Porch (which said it could not arrange an interview).
it possible these US laws will go by unnoticed unless highlighted so
"...
Three federal laws, three legal hurdles
At least three wiretapping-related federal laws restrict what broadband providers can do:

the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (ECPA);
the Communications Act of 1934; and the
Cable TV Privacy Act of 1984.

The cable privacy law is the most restrictive and applies only to cable broadband providers--meaning, thanks to a law written when the Apple Macintosh was new, they're at a competitive disadvantage to AT&T and Verizon.

The cable privacy law is unusually onerous because it requires the "prior written or electronic consent of the subscriber" before any personally identifiable information can be collected. What that means is sending a postcard or e-mail telling customers that they can opt-out (which is what cable providers are doing so far) may not be good enough.
"

also, i found this part interesting, it seems that their entire basis for consent is flawed in that to "convincingly show" that consent, nothing beats a confirmation email or better, a signed letter in law.

"...
The 2003 In Re Pharmatrak decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit offers a glimpse of how judges view consent.

The court ruled in a case involving Web tracking "that it makes more sense to place the burden of showing consent on the party seeking the benefit of the exception."

The judges approvingly cited a second case, which said "consent can only be implied when the surrounding circumstances convincingly show that the party knew about and consented to the interception."

Yet another legal obstacle for Web monitoring is the Communications Act, which says companies engaged in "transmitting" communications shall not "divulge" those contents.

"The question is whether or not a third party like this can track usage for things other than for routine maintenance of a network--they are entitled to do that," said Barry Steinhardt, director of the ACLU's Technology and Liberty Program. "But where you're actually tracking the content of what users do, there are serious questions there about the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and the cable laws." ...
"

US law:
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (ECPA);
http://www.usiia.org/legis/ecpa.html

the Communications Act of 1934
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Act_of_1934
http://www.fcc.gov/Reports/1934new.pdf

Cable TV Privacy Act of 1984
much the same as the UK/EU DPA type act but with more bite
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47...1----000-.html
Old 20-05-2008, 13:51   #6868
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
i have just added my comment below to the article

with 80/20 thinking being a consultant to phorm for the impending rollout by BT, virgin media and talk talk of phorms WEBWISE product, and the requirement for the users of this services to make an "informed choice" is there not a conflict of interest here for 80/20 thinking as their client phorm has a direct interest in the recomendations of this working group, and getting them watered down?

80/20 thinking have also yet to release the promised video of the public meeting which happened several weeks ago(that they arranged for phorm i believe) where phorm was to answer its critics, speculation is they dare not release it as it shows phorm (their client) in a bad light

put these two things together and you have to ask if they can be independant and have the interest of the public and not a client at heart

peter
Old 20-05-2008, 13:55   #6869
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

I can get onto the bt vision forums no problem but any other they have not at all.
Old 20-05-2008, 15:06   #6870
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I can get onto the bt vision forums no problem but any other they have not at all.
please email the moderator at forum.moderation.team AT bt.com and add your voice to the rest of us complaining about this - been down all day.
(Maybe they are connecting the Webwise equipment up today... ! )
Closed Thread