Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help! Connection Problems...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help! Connection Problems...

Old 26-08-2008, 22:41   #1
Nocturnal
Inactive

Nocturnal is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! Connection Problems...

I’m having some connection problems.

I can browse the internet but my virus scanner (avg) can’t connect to update itself, msn messenger will not connect (the msn diagnostic says it’s a default gateway problem) and I can’t download using torrents.

I am not using a router and I’m not sure what is causing this, can you help??
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2008, 22:52   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Help! Connection Problems...

Do you have a firewall running?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 11:10   #3
Nocturnal
Inactive

I’m running Zone Alarm but the problem persists even when my firewall is completely shutdown.
Old 27-08-2008, 12:07   #4
Urban001
Inactive

Urban001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try completely disabling your connection IN network Connections. then re enable it sometimes that clears any errors. How is your modem connected to the pc ethernet or usb or wireless? It could be possible that some of your ports are closed? Zone alarm may have closed of some ports that msn and avg use? I dunno just guessing mate.
Urban001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 12:28   #5
Nocturnal
Inactive

I have tried disabling and enabling my connection but with no luck.

I connect to the cable box via an Ethernet cable and USB adapter into a USB port but have also tried with the Ethernet cable going straight into the network socket on the motherboard; the problem persists in both cases.

I have also tried:

- The repair function in the ‘Local area connection status’ box on the ‘support’ tab.

- The command ‘Ipconfig/flushdns’ in Command Prompt.

- Running Zone Alarm in game mode (automatic allow to all).

No luck so far…

What should I try next?
Old 27-08-2008, 13:53   #6
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

you can only connect via ethernet OR usb not both
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 15:20   #7
NH-Darryl
Inactive

NH-Darryl is an unknown quantity at this point

Its possible your DNS isn't functioning correctly.

If you go into network connections in control panel then to properties -> internet protocol (tcp/ip) -> properties and select "use the following DNS server addresses" entering into the boxes "4.2.2.3" and "4.2.2.2" after that you may have to ipconfig /flushdns again for this to take effect. If it happens that your ISP's DNS servers are down then this may fix the problem.

Regards,

Darryl
NH-Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:47   #8
Nocturnal
Inactive

Thanks Darryl,

I have followed the procedure but there has been no change. I have also tried the new settings with Zone Alarm shutdown but still no joy…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
you can only connect via ethernet OR usb not both
I have tried both and neither works correctly (and I haven’t tried both simultaneously, there is only one cable after all).
Old 28-08-2008, 12:46   #9
NH-Darryl
Inactive

NH-Darryl is an unknown quantity at this point

if you can open up a command prompt then do "ipconfig /all" and paste the results into here that might help with diagnosing this. (to do this drag the window until its big enough then click in the top left and go to edit -> mark and drag the cursor over the info then right click and it's copied to clipboard.)

I have an inkling it might be zonealarm though, often that can cause problems even when it says its disabled, if you can I'd try completely uninstalling it and rebooting and see if you still have the same problems
NH-Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 22:04   #10
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

You have to completely uninstall ZA to prove/disprove it is misbehaving.

In my experience ZA is/has been the number 1 app to regularly cause inexplicable issues on it's users PC.

Personally I wouldn't entertain installing it.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote