Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oscar Nominations 2019

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Oscar Nominations 2019

Old 23-02-2019, 09:07   #16
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Oscar Nominations 2019

Apparently Black Panther has been doing well when the academy members have been informally polled
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2019, 09:43   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Good. I was really please last year when they announced the shakeup after the rating decline and said they were going to introduce a new popular movie category because I thought it was finally a chance for films like Star Wars/MCU/Ready Player One etc to get recognised and not get a silly award for sound editing. I didn't realise until last week when I was reading a news article about this years ceremony that the popular award category has now been dropped.
I have still got three films left I need to watch before the ceremony tomorrow night but I have watched all the films nominated for best picture. With the exception of Roma I enjoyed watching all of them. Each one was engrossing and told a different story. Black Panther is a standalone film as are the others so can be treated equally (unlike Infinity War if it was nominated because it has 10 years of work behind it) and I genuinely believe that out of the group of nominees this year Black Panther was the best film. It wasn't the best film of the year but it is the best out of the nominated films. There may be other films (e.g. Roma) that may have had a better screenplay or cinematography and that is why categories exist for those films; so they can be recognised. The award for best movie is a culmination of every aspect of the film and Black Panther should get it. I am sure that there will be some speeches for any award it receives touting equality, black actors, black director, female cast etc but it should stand on its merits.

I think I have said it before but I am a firm believer that the best picture should be voted on from a list of the top 5 highest grossing films globally. Your list for last year would be Infinity War, Black Panther, Jurassic World, Incredibles 2 and Aquaman.

I'll never forget 2009 when Avatar didn't win. I thought The Hurt Locker was a really good film and enjoyed it but it was no way the best film of the year and incomparable to Avatar. The Hurt Locker grossed $50m globally vs Avatar's $2.7bn. How can it be the best film if nobody watched it?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 10:29   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Doing the nominations from the biggest grossing films would always end up benefiting the blockbusters with bigger budgets and bigger marketing pushes though. Shawshank Redemption wouldn't have got a nomination under such a system as it was a flop, a commercial failure hardly anyone watched in cinemas, but it did get a nomination and in retrospect that decision was right. It's a great film. You're also unlikely to ever have a non-English language film get nominated or anything only for adults.

Ultimately it's an industry awards show voted for by actors, directors and the rest as to what they think are the best performances and films. It's not an indicator of quality either of course. But it's why films like Roma and Green Book get nominated at all.

Anyway they might bring back the Most Popular Oscar next year.

I wouldn't mind Black Panther winning. I think there is something to be said for it's cultural impact too. It would be a biggest impact than Roma winning (although no film 'predominately not in the English language has ever won best film). I can't see who else would win, maybe A Star is Born will spring a surprise, or Green Book but the backlash against he latter might have hurt it.

I also have a feeling Star Wars will be nominated and maybe win next year. Not so much for the film itself but like 'A Return to the King' they'll award it as a general nod towards 'Star Wars' itself. Everyone understands Lord of the Rings Best Picture Oscar was awarded to the trilogy as a whole.

Anyway I am off to put £10 on Black Panther to win
Old 23-02-2019, 12:01   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You're also unlikely to ever have a non-English language film get nominated.
I am fully expecting Roma to win best picture

Quote:
Anyway they might bring back the Most Popular Oscar next year.
I flipping hope so. It would be perfect timing for Endgame to get it in recognition of what will be the highest grossing film of the year and a tribute to the dedication and passion which has gone into the entire MCU and given joy to billions of cinema goers all around the world.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Black Panther winning. I think there is something to be said for it's cultural impact too. It would be a biggest impact than Roma winning (although no film 'predominately not in the English language has ever won best film). I can't see who else would win, maybe A Star is Born will spring a surprise, or Green Book
Tbh I wouldn't be against either Green Book or A Star is Born winning because I enjoyed the stories in both and the acting performances. The only film I am going to be very mardy about is Roma because I just thought it was a very very bad film. The only award it should get if any (if you want it to be recognised) is best foreign language film.

Quote:
I also have a feeling Star Wars will be nominated and maybe win next year. Not so much for the film itself but like 'A Return to the King' they'll award it as a general nod towards 'Star Wars' itself. Everyone understands Lord of the Rings Best Picture Oscar was awarded to the trilogy as a whole
Each of the LOTR films were superb in their own way as each had a different tone, different supporting cast, different locations and told a different aspect to the story. I would happily have seen each one win each year but I can understand why one trilogy shouldn't monopolise the awards for three years and I was very happy to see ROTK sweep up the Oscars. I remember watching it and Peter Jackson thanking everyone in New Zealand a million times was hilarious. I would like to see the same thing happen for Star Wars next year in recognition of the entire franchise and it's cultural impact for the last 40 years.
Old 24-02-2019, 16:56   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

I have watched the 12 films on the summary list I made at the beginning of this thread and I am ready to take a crack at it. This is who I would like to see win in each category:

Best Film: Black Panther
Director: The Favourite
Actor: Rami Malek although I would happily see Christian Bale get it
Actress: Olivia Colman
Support Actor: Mahershala Ali
Supporting Actress: Emma Stone
Screenplay: The Favourite
Adapted Screenplay: A Star is Born
Animated Film: Incredibles 2
Cinematography: Roma
Costume Design: Black Panther
Makeup: Vice
Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Production Design: Black Panther
Sound Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Sound Mixing: Black Panther
Original Score: Black Panther
Original Song: A Star is Born
Visual Effects: Ready Player One
Old 24-02-2019, 17:51   #21
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

33/1 on Black Panther btw. I put a £10 on. Worth it for those odds.

I'll go too:

Best Film: Roma (well, actually Black Panther now for obvious reasons)
Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Actor: Christian Bale
Actress: Olivia Colman (agreed)
Support Actor: Mahershala Al (agreed)
Supporting Actress: Regina King
Screenplay: The Favourite (agreed)
Adapted Screenplay: Blackkklansman
Animated Film: Spiderverse!.
Cinematography: Roma (agreed)
Costume Design: Meh dunno
Makeup: Vice (agreed)
Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody (yeh probs)
Production Design: Black Panther (why not)
Sound Editing: A Quiet Place
Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Original Score: Black Panther (yeh)
Foreign Language Film: Shoplifters
Original Song: Whatever the song in the Black Panther credits is
Visual Effects: Avengers

Last edited by Damien; 24-02-2019 at 20:40.
Old 25-02-2019, 06:00   #22
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well l have to say l never expected "The Green Book" to win best picture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ente...-arts-47333045

Quote:
Best supporting actress

Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)
Amy Adams (Vice)
Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk) – WINNER!
Marina De Tavira (Roma)

Best makeup and hair

Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Vice – WINNER!

Best documentary

Free Solo – WINNER!
Minding the Gap
RBG
Hale County This Morning, This Evening
Of Fathers and Sons

Best costume design

Black Panther (Ruth E Carter) – WINNER!
The Favourite (Sandy Powell)
Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)
Mary Queen of Scots (Alexandra Byrne)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Mary Zophres)

Best film editing

Bohemian Rhapsody (John Ottman) – WINNER!
Vice (Hank Corwin)
BlacKkKlansman (Barry Alexander Brown)
The Favourite (Yorgos Mavropsaridis)
Green Book (Patrick J Don Vito)

Best production design

The Favourite (Fiona Crombie and Alice Felton)
First Man (Nathan Crowley and Kathy Lucas)
Roma (Eugenio Caballero and Barbara Enriquez)
Mary Poppins Returns (John Myhre and Gordon Sim)
Black Panther (Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart) – WINNER!

Best cinematography
Advertisement

Roma (Alfonso Cuaron) – WINNER!
Cold War (Lukasz Zal)
Never Look Away (Caleb Deschanel)
The Favourite (Robbie Ryan)
A Star Is Born (Matty Libatique)

Best sound editing

First Man
A Quiet Place
Bohemian Rhapsody – WINNER!
Black Panther
Roma

Best sound mixing

A Star Is Born
Bohemian Rhapsody – WINNER!
First Man
Roma
Black Panther

Best foreign language film

Roma (Mexico) – WINNER!
Cold War (Poland)
Shoplifters (Japan)
Capernaum (Lebanon)
Never Look Away (Germany)

Best supporting actor

Mahershala Ali (Green Book) – WINNER!
Richard E Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)
Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
Sam Rockwell (Vice)

Best animated feature

Incredibles 2
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse – WINNER!
Isle of Dogs
Mirai

Best live action short

Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin – WINNER!

Best animated short
Advertisement

Animal Behaviour
Bao – WINNER!
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Best documentary short

Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at the Garden
Period. End of Sentence. – WINNER!

Best visual effects
First Man – WINNER!
Avengers: Infinity War
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Ready Player One
Christopher Robin

Best original screenplay

Green Book (Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga) – WINNER!
The Favourite (Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara)
Roma (Alfonso Cuarón)
Vice (Adam McKay)
First Reformed (Paul Schrader)

Best adapted screenplay

If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins)
A Star Is Born (Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters and Eric Roth)
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty)
BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee, David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel and Kevin Willmott) – WINNER!
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Joel Coen and Ethan Coen)

Best original score

If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell)
Mary Poppins Returns (Marc Shaiman)
Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
BlacKkKlansman (Terence Blanchard)
Black Panther (Ludwig Goransson) – WINNER!

Best original song

Shallow (A Star Is Born) – WINNER!
All the Stars (Black Panther)
I’ll Fight (RBG)
The Place Where Lost Things Go (Mary Poppins Returns)
When a Cowboy Trades his Spurs for Wings (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)

Best actor
Advertisement

Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody) – WINNER!
Christian Bale (Vice)
Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)
Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Willem Dafoe (At Eternity’s Gate)

Best actress

Glenn Close (The Wife)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite) – WINNER!
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)

Best director

Alfonso Cuarón (Roma) – WINNER!
Adam McKay (Vice)
Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)

Best picture

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book – WINNER!
Roma
A Star is Born
Vice

Last edited by denphone; 25-02-2019 at 06:09.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 06:27   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well l have to say l never expected "The Green Book" to win best picture.[/url]
me neither, I was fully expecting Roma to get it. This year has been very interesting because I think it is the best I have ever done with regards to my expectations. Normally there is a stark contrast between the films I think should win/I want to win and those that actually win. I haven't added it up but I think I was right half the time and it is a great feeling to see people who you are rooting for to be acknowledged.

The thing which stuck out like a sore thumb for me this year is the shift in presenters. Even though they ditched the popular film category you can tell they are looking for opportunities to engage which a more mainstream audience. There were many MCU actors presenting awards and it was great to see Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson up there. It will be great this time next year if we can sit here and talking about Endgame or Star Wars winning the majority of awards.
Old 25-02-2019, 09:42   #24
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I am pretty happy with all that. Delighted Oliva Coleman won an Oscar and that Spiderman won best animation. Like Maximus I think most the ones I agreed with.

Green Book was fine but it's a boring choice IMO. I think people will look back on this as one of the years they made mistake, Crash 2.0, and there will be backlash today over it. If they wanted to award a movie about race then Blackkklansman was better IMO, or if they wanted to make a statement then Black Panther too. In the end the usual conservationism won though and they didn't award it to a comic book movie, to a foreign film not funded by a major studio or to a movie that challenges anyone. Spike Lee (almost) stormed out.

Anyway here is the full Oscar count:

Quote:
Bohemian Rhapsody – 4
Black Panther – 3
Roma – 3
Green Book – 3
Beale Street – 1
Vice – 1
First Man – 1
BlacKkKlansman – 1
A Star Is Born – 1
The Favourite – 1
Spider-Verse – 1
Old 25-02-2019, 09:55   #25
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Personally I'd love it if they actually went to grading the awards and offer gold,silver and bronze Oscars..
Old 25-02-2019, 10:02   #26
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Personally I'd love it if they actually went to grading the awards and offer gold,silver and bronze Oscars..
Cannes do something like that.

Palme d'Or = Gold (obviously)
Grand Prix = Silver
Jury Prize = Bronze

The Best Picture nominations work by a preferable vote system which is why divisive films don't tend to win. The rumour last week is Roma and Black Panther were leading the pack for first choice vote and that might have been true but Green Book could have won by being the middle choice amongst most voters.
Old 25-02-2019, 11:14   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
In the end the usual conservationism won though and they didn't award it to a comic book movie, to a foreign film not funded by a major studio or to a movie that challenges anyone.
The thing is that nobody wants or needs surprises, shocks, upsets or anything quirky. The best film should win on its own merits and if it happens to be a political drama (e.g. JFK), civil/gay rights (e.g. Philadelphia) or foreign language (e.g. Pan's Labyrinth) then great but they shouldn't win like some people gets jobs just to massage the stats. I wanted Black Panther to win because all round taking the various aspects of the film into account, I thought it was the best of the bunch and not to tout any black agenda. I wasn't unhappy Green Book won because I thought it was a good story with great acting performances but Black Panther was better.
Likewise in the acting categories there were very strong performances and one person who I didn't mention was Melissa McCarthy. I am not a huge fan of hers but I thought she was very good in Can You Ever Forgive Me and I would have been happy for her if she won because I knew she deserved it. When people talk about acting awards they always mention "transformative performances" which is why people like Gary Oldman, Christian Bale and Rami Malek win. The one person who I wasn't keen on winning or being nominated was Sam Elliott. Like Jeff Bridges he doesn't really act, he didn't have to go out and research a person or behaviour, he was just himself and had to learn some lines.
As a whole though, even with Roma, I think the right people/films won this year in every category. I had never seen or heard of Olivia Colman before I watched The Favourite but I wanted her to win because she was the best this year. You didn't see Glenn Close getting up and spitting her dummy out; Spike Lee should be ashamed of himself.

Oh I forgot to say earlier when I was talking about popular films and the MCU being represented by award presenters, for those of you who don't watch the ceremony or only the highlights, Stan Lee was included in the In Memorium tribute, as he should have been for his contribution to the industry. I would love to see him receive a posthumous life time achievement award next year.

Last edited by General Maximus; 25-02-2019 at 11:22.
Old 25-02-2019, 12:02   #28
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The thing is that nobody wants or needs surprises, shocks, upsets or anything quirky. The best film should win on its own merits and if it happens to be a political drama (e.g. JFK), civil/gay rights (e.g. Philadelphia) or foreign language (e.g. Pan's Labyrinth) then great but they shouldn't win like some people gets jobs just to massage the stats. I wanted Black Panther to win because all round taking the various aspects of the film into account, I thought it was the best of the bunch and not to tout any black agenda. I wasn't unhappy Green Book won because I thought it was a good story with great acting performances but Black Panther was better.
The message a film tries to make is always part of the discussion though. A lot of films are trying to tell a story, make an impact, advocate for an idea. The Oscars love that too. It's why Spotlight beat Mad Max even though I thought Mad Max was such a excellent film that shows why films exist. Spotlight could have been a play or a TV drama. The academy seems to hate cinema sometimes as evident by their obvious disdain for cinematography. It's nearly 80 years since Fantasia and no animated film has ever won Best Picture, only three have ever been nominated.

There is also film politics involved. There are people who vote that don't think Black Panther should be there because it's a comic book movie and that Roma shouldn't be there because it was Netflix. Also animated films rarely stand a chance because they took down their noses at it and the bulk of the voter base are actors so are heavily biased towards that part of a film.

Quote:
When people talk about acting awards they always mention "transformative performances" which is why people like Gary Oldman, Christian Bale and Rami Malek win.
Yeah it's a lot more 'showy'. Subtly is not rewarded.

Quote:
Spike Lee should be ashamed of himself.
I think that was less about him not winning but who he lost too. I don't think another film would have got that reaction. Green Book has been compared to Driving Miss Daisy where a white character whose a bit racist is been driven by a black character and they go on a real and metaphoric journey and sort it all out. That won Best Picture the same year Spike Lee's most lauded film came out although that year he wasn't even nominated.

Last edited by Damien; 25-02-2019 at 12:07.