Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2008, 20:58   #7411
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Just trying to anticipate the wriggles. This means that it was sent from the server? Does it mean it was copied to a phorm e-mail address?

If not, what would be left on the server in the way of logs etc?

I'm just trying establish if BT/Phorm can argue that no data was collected/kept by phorm. They can probably argue it's not phishing because BT themselves must have pointed the URL towards that site.

Having said that, BT could have pointed it towards the information page, Phorm could have added the 'contact us' bit by themselves. That would be phishing.

Perhaps BT need to confirm that they authorised Phorm to collect the 'contact us' information?
Well the fact that the sensitive personal data is being collected on a server in the US is the first issue; this would appear to break EU Data Protection directives with regards to exporting sensitive personal data outside Europe without explicit informed consent.

The second issue is the ww3.phorm.com reference header. This suggests that the email which BT's system is replying to has been sent directly from ww3.phorm.com, logically a Phorm controlled server. This means that Phorm potentially have access to -all- the data submitted in that contact us form.

The third issue is the ww3.phorm.com server must utilise some form of parser to then forward that contact us forms contents to BT via email.

We have no idea what is being logged, whether this information is being retained by Phorm or why it is even being sent to Phorm in the first place.

I think this is an important issue and shows a complete lack of transparency by all parties and seems to be breaking yet more laws.

It is simply unacceptable.

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2008, 21:01   #7412
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Just trying to anticipate the wriggles. This means that it was sent from the server? Does it mean it was copied to a phorm e-mail address?

If not, what would be left on the server in the way of logs etc?

I'm just trying establish if BT/Phorm can argue that no data was collected/kept by phorm. They can probably argue it's not phishing because BT themselves must have pointed the URL towards that site.

Having said that, BT could have pointed it towards the information page, Phorm could have added the 'contact us' bit by themselves. That would be phishing.

Perhaps BT need to confirm that they authorised Phorm to collect the 'contact us' information?
Thanks - I too want to investigate the wriggle room!

This contact form was filled in after the moderator of the forum specifically squashed a phishing discussion about this site, and told us NOT to report it to anti-phishing sites and he said, "Before you start to send emails to the moderators and our abuse team about this, http://webwise.bt,com isn't a phishing site. It's merely a part of BT.com that is hosted on a different set of servers, much like bt.custhelp.com which is hosted on Right Now's servers in California. Right Now's servers also handle all of the traffic in the "Contact Us" section of BT.com just like the form on the Webwise site and with a similar level of security for handling details like your account numbers.
Sending us lots of emails reporting this will delay the abuse team from dealing with genuine reports of phishing sites so I'd appreciate it if you didn't.
Thanks"

He doesn't say - this BT Webwise site is managed by a recognised commercial partner.
He doesn't say - Phorm run our Webwise customer help service.
He is responding to a specific debate on his forum about the security of data handled by this site, which has taken place on the forum he moderates, and following his "reassurance" I decided to test it out by using the contact form.

BT have also kept insisting all over the place that they do not send identifiable personal data to Phorm.

But is there any "technical" wriggle room relating to the headers?
Old 28-05-2008, 21:05   #7413
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
Thanks - I too want to investigate the wriggle room!

This contact form was filled in after the moderator of the forum specifically squashed a phishing discussion about this site, and told us NOT to report it to anti-phishing sites and he said, "Before you start to send emails to the moderators and our abuse team about this, http://webwise.bt,com isn't a phishing site. It's merely a part of BT.com that is hosted on a different set of servers, much like bt.custhelp.com which is hosted on Right Now's servers in California. Right Now's servers also handle all of the traffic in the "Contact Us" section of BT.com just like the form on the Webwise site and with a similar level of security for handling details like your account numbers.
Sending us lots of emails reporting this will delay the abuse team from dealing with genuine reports of phishing sites so I'd appreciate it if you didn't.
Thanks"

He doesn't say - this BT Webwise site is managed by a recognised commercial partner.
He doesn't say - Phorm run our Webwise customer help service.
He is responding to a specific debate on his forum about the security of data handled by this site, which has taken place on the forum he moderates, and following his "reassurance" I decided to test it out by using the contact form.

BT have also kept insisting all over the place that they do not send identifiable personal data to Phorm.

But is there any "technical" wriggle room relating to the headers?
The only information I can find on the "References" header is that it is the true message origin which the email is replying to. I have looked at several definitions and they all say the same thing. So in the absence of data to the contrary I have to assume that to be correct, but I am open to any email gurus interpretation.

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 21:15   #7414
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Alexander.

So even 'between' trials, Phorm is intercepting BT user data without their knowledge and passing it through their servers?

This includes <form> data and PII? This must be done either with the full knowledge of BT or Phorm is phishing. Woops.

EDIT : Is it worth taking over to BadPhorm for an opinion re: the e-mail references bit ?
Old 28-05-2008, 21:16   #7415
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Thanks Alexander.

So even 'between' trials, Phorm is intercepting BT user data without their knowledge and passing it through their servers?

This includes <form> data and PII? This must be done either with the full knowledge of BT or Phorm is phishing. Woops.
As I said, that is the only way I can interpret the evidence. I could of course be wrong and certainly hope I am, but something tells me I am not.

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 21:21   #7416
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

interesting

see attached png image

it's from the ww3.phorm.com

it seems to suggest if you opt-out your profile is destroyed!!

no mention that phorm view all sites and what they are comparing against only monitor WHEN ON THEIR SITES

as you see blatently incorrect

peter
Old 28-05-2008, 21:38   #7417
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post

So I decided to try to make a page, simple for the layman, yet still accurate. I came up with:

http://www.DoNotTrustWebwise.org/
i noted the source of the page

<meta name="description" content="Does Webwise spy on you? BT and TalkTalk Carphone Warehouse customers are about to find out. Warning: Webwise infringes your privacy.">
<meta name="keywords" content="webwise phorm BT talktalk carphonewarehouse carphone warehouse phishing spying">

we need to add more in these two lines, you are allowed 256 chars in each, and google etc scan these i believe at a higher wieghting than page content

could add

illegal interception wiretap ripa DPA data protection act

to the keywords

and

illegal under ripa, data protection act and EU perc etc

to the description

that should help get it up the search engine ratings

peter

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

just had a virus warning when i posted the last reply !!!!

FILES\CONTENT.IE5\DMRBACPE\BOARD[1].HTM.

Infection: Constructor.DOS.BWG.203

any thoughts

peter
Old 28-05-2008, 21:42   #7418
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
i noted the source of the page

<meta name="description" content="Does Webwise spy on you? BT and TalkTalk Carphone Warehouse customers are about to find out. Warning: Webwise infringes your privacy.">
<meta name="keywords" content="webwise phorm BT talktalk carphonewarehouse carphone warehouse phishing spying">

we need to add more in these two lines, you are allowed 256 chars in each, and google etc scan these i believe at a higher wieghting than page content

could add

illegal interception wiretap ripa DPA data protection act

to the keywords

and

illegal under ripa, data protection act and EU perc etc

to the description

that should help get it up the search engine ratings

peter

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

just had a virus warning when i posted the last reply !!!!

FILES\CONTENT.IE5\DMRBACPE\BOARD[1].HTM.

Infection: Constructor.DOS.BWG.203

any thoughts

peter
Make sure that any keywords in the tags ARE replicated in the body text itself. Otherwise google can penalise you for keyword stuffing.
Old 28-05-2008, 21:44   #7419
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

I had a bunch of errors about 10 minutes ago, maybe the forum has been compromised, someone needs to contact an admin, I will msg Mick.

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 21:45   #7420
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks Alexander.

EDIT : Is it worth taking over to BadPhorm for an opinion re: the e-mail references bit ?
Done.

and I've asked Emma for an explanation.
and I've asked the forum moderator for an explanation.

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I had a bunch of errors about 10 minutes ago, maybe the forum has been compromised, someone needs to contact an admin, I will msg Mick.

Alexander Hanff
Same here.
Old 28-05-2008, 21:46   #7421
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Constructor.DOS.BWG

Aliases
Constructor.DOS.BWG (Kaspersky Lab) is also known as: Constructor.BAT.BWG (Kaspersky Lab),
Description added May 31 2002
Behavior Virus Constructor
Technical details
Constructor creates batch payload programs. It is written in Basic for DOS.

It creates payload programs of the following types:

internet worms
mIRC worms
pIRC worms
installing to the win.ini
installing to the system registry startup key
installing to the startup directory
deletes antivirus programs
Constructor inserts the following comment in the beginning of batch files:

REM generated with BATCH WORM GENERATOR x.xx
Old 28-05-2008, 21:46   #7422
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

I have forwarded all this recent information on the www.webwise.bt.com issue to Chris Williams.

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 21:49   #7423
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I have forwarded all this recent information on the www.webwise.bt.com issue to Chris Williams.

Alexander Hanff
Thanks Alex. I'll pm you with an email address for Chris.
Old 28-05-2008, 21:52   #7424
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
Thanks Alex. I'll pm you with an email address for Chris.
I have Chris' email, I talk to him almost daily at the moment oh you meant your email address no problem.

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 21:52   #7425
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I had a page full of errors about 10 mins ago too
Closed Thread