Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 15-09-2018, 16:42   #946
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Virgin TV Ultra HD added to channel 999 on the EPG

Monday 17th
8.20pm The Big Dry (New)
9.10pm Mysteries of the Mekong
10pm StartUp (New)
10.55pm The Rolling Stones: Havana Moon

Tuesday 18th
8.20pm The Big Dry (New)
9.10pm Great Parks of Africa (New)
10pm Shut Eye (New)
10.50pm StartUp

Wednesday 19th
8.20pm The Big Dry (New)
9.10pm Brazil Untamed (New)
10pm House of Cards (New)
11pm Shut Eye

Thursday 20th
8.20pm Alaskan Summer (New)
9.10pm Great Blue Wild
10pm The Art of More (New)
10.50pm House of Cards

Friday 21st
8.20pm The Big Dry
9. 10pm Undiscovered Vistas
10pm Masters of Sex
11pm The Art of More
Seems very sensible scheduling to me.

Putting their "big drama" at 10pm means it won't clash with key 9pm slot on other channels.

Then putting the previous day's "big drama" on right after that night's "big drama" is a bit like having a +1 Day service.

I just wish it was available for all V6 customers rather than some top packages.

Given Undiscovered Vistas is 50mins on the EPG when it's on LoveNature and it is also this length on VMUHD does this mean VMUHD is ad-free (aside from self promotion promos) like LoveNature channel is?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2018, 06:05   #947
AdamDigital
cf.member

Services: VM V6 x 2. 500MB broadband.
AdamDigital is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yup, already did that.
AdamDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 10:51   #948
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Seems very sensible scheduling to me.

Putting their "big drama" at 10pm means it won't clash with key 9pm slot on other channels.

Then putting the previous day's "big drama" on right after that night's "big drama" is a bit like having a +1 Day service.

I just wish it was available for all V6 customers rather than some top packages.

Given Undiscovered Vistas is 50mins on the EPG when it's on LoveNature and it is also this length on VMUHD does this mean VMUHD is ad-free (aside from self promotion promos) like LoveNature channel is?
Yes it is indeed ad-free.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 22:44   #949
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Same here. 555 perfect, 999 its like it pauses then starts again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDigital View Post
Been looking at channels 999, 100, and the UHD teaser available via the Home button.

All 3 of these are flickering quite noticeably on my TV. Same happened when I tried to access Netflix UHD via V6. Netflix UHD on my connected TV was perfect. Both use same wifi connection. On V6, channel 555 is perfectly smooth.

So, two liner channels in UHD, one (555) is smooth, the other (999) is jerky.

Anyone any ideas why this might be?
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 08:40   #950
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Frame rate not matching?
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 10:30   #951
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

In preparation for the new UHD channel launching today, I decided to look at the BT 4K sports channel yesterday (I never look at sport) to "test it out". However, even though I have the 2160 and 2160 pass through video output options selected (along with 1080 pass through and 1080p) I was only getting a 1080p video signal on the 4K channel..... I thought the box would output the correct video signal as per the broadcast/output options I selected. Does this mean I have to either leave only 2160p & pass through for everything? or change it every time I want to watch UHD? And how does this work with Netflix UHD? I'd prefer my TV to do the upscaling on 1080 outputs rather then the V6 box.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 11:18   #952
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

To get 4K you should only have the 2160 options enabled.
Old 17-09-2018, 13:25   #953
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
To get 4K you should only have the 2160 options enabled.
...because the BT 4K channel is 50fps and the 2160P passthru setting only caters for 24, 25 and 30fps, not 50fps.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 13:31   #954
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

]Originally Posted by OLD BOY

I am expecting more UHD content later this year if all goes well, so keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully, (from my perspective at least) it's not just sport this time around. I have no idea which channels are involved in the current negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Well where is it then - no sign of it.
Well, I did say later this year, and now we know the Virgin UHD channel starts tonight. There are a number of programmes I am recording from this channel including StartUp, The Art of More, The Big Dry, Shut Eye, Alaskan Summer and Mysteries of the Mekong. Not bad at all for the first week of a new channel. There are no advertisements either, so overall I would say that this is better than any Sky general entertainment channel, despite its restricted broadcast hours initially.

I am looking forward tremendously to other UHD channels being added soon, including Love Nature 4K and Insight. I would hope that we will see something from Discovery soon as well. Sadly, I don't think we will see any UHD from Sky until 2019.

However, we are now making good progress, and with BT Sport 4K in our line-up, at least those of us with 4K TVs have a better choice of high quality PQ programming.

I trust also that Virgin Movies and the Virgin Media Store will start to offer a choice of UHD films before much longer, although as Den said earlier, these might be a bit pricey. Still, having the option would be nice.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 13:38   #955
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
...because the BT 4K channel is 50fps and the 2160P passthru setting only caters for 24, 25 and 30fps, not 50fps.
Shame... it would be nice for the box to send the appropriate signal as per the output selections... seems a bit silly to allow you to choose several output options but not to have them delivered...
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 13:50   #956
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
]Originally Posted by OLD BOY

I am expecting more UHD content later this year if all goes well, so keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully, (from my perspective at least) it's not just sport this time around. I have no idea which channels are involved in the current negotiations.

Well, I did say later this year, and now we know the Virgin UHD channel starts tonight. There are a number of programmes I am recording from this channel including StartUp, The Art of More, The Big Dry, Shut Eye, Alaskan Summer and Mysteries of the Mekong. Not bad at all for the first week of a new channel. There are no advertisements either, so overall I would say that this is better than any Sky general entertainment channel, despite its restricted broadcast hours initially.

I am looking forward tremendously to other UHD channels being added soon, including Love Nature 4K and Insight. I would hope that we will see something from Discovery soon as well. Sadly, I don't think we will see any UHD from Sky until 2019.

However, we are now making good progress, and with BT Sport 4K in our line-up, at least those of us with 4K TVs have a better choice of high quality PQ programming.

I trust also that Virgin Movies and the Virgin Media Store will start to offer a choice of UHD films before much longer, although as Den said earlier, these might be a bit pricey. Still, having the option would be nice.
We thought you had deserted us, OB, welcome back...….
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 13:53   #957
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
+1
Old 17-09-2018, 13:53   #958
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
That's because PAL was 50Hz, so that's carried over as the standard frame rate for DVB systems. BT Sport is covered by the main 2160 setting.

Pass-through is for alternate frame-rates i.e films and other lower frame rate encoded content.

Same is true for pass-through on the older TiVo box - it's there for 24Hz encoded films, compared to the standard HD options

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-09-2018 at 13:57.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 17:33   #959
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
OB has obviously been waiting for 1 of his predictions to come true
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 18:44   #960
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
+1
Thanks, guys! Nice to hear from you!

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
OB has obviously been waiting for 1 of his predictions to come true
Well, if you don't shout loud enough, nobody remembers!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote