Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Uh oh... green screen of death

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Uh oh... green screen of death

Old 25-11-2011, 22:30   #1
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Uh oh... green screen of death

And it was going so well.

15.2 update installed, no spontaneous reboots, all apps working, all my recorded shows/series links in good stead.

Until today.

Now my 500GB TiVo is stuck in a loop, where a green "your DVR is being repaired" screen displays for a few seconds before it tries to start up again. And again. But never does.

Guess I'll be needing a new one. Time to book an engineer!
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2011, 23:01   #2
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
Re: Uh oh... green screen of death

I haven't seen a green screen on cable since the old analogue days

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 10:42   #3
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, same thing this morning...
  • Starting up...
  • Just a few more minutes...
  • Green screen of death (trying to repair your DVR)
  • Rinse and repeat

Damn shame, really; just as I was beginning to get some good use out of the TiVo. Asked my contact in CEO's office to book an engineer visit, mentioned it over at VM community forums, wonder what they'll say.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:43   #4
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Never heard of this fault, sorry it's happened
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:16   #5
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Yes it is annoying.

I don't mind losing the shows on there so much as the worrying feeling that I'm going to have to wait weeks in order to have an engineer out to fix or (more likely) replace the box, assuming that it is a hard drive fault which some of the TiVo helpsites seem to suggest.

I always thought the hard drive in there made unusual noises when booting up, similar to that of other ones I've had in PCs that are just about to develop a fault which SMART usually tells you about. I tried doing what are called TiVo KickStart Codes but due to the fact the VM TiVo is different from the Premiere in terms of front LEDs and firmware I haven't been able to get to any of the described diagnostic menus to do tests.

Here's a pic of the green screen anyway.

Old 26-11-2011, 13:04   #6
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Yes it is annoying.

I don't mind losing the shows on there so much as the worrying feeling that I'm going to have to wait weeks in order to have an engineer out to fix or (more likely) replace the box, assuming that it is a hard drive fault which some of the TiVo helpsites seem to suggest.

I always thought the hard drive in there made unusual noises when booting up, similar to that of other ones I've had in PCs that are just about to develop a fault which SMART usually tells you about. I tried doing what are called TiVo KickStart Codes but due to the fact the VM TiVo is different from the Premiere in terms of front LEDs and firmware I haven't been able to get to any of the described diagnostic menus to do tests.

Here's a pic of the green screen anyway.

Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 23:59   #7
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Just got a tip on how to fix this, and so far so good. Still worried that the HDD is a troublemaker but the TiVo is usable now. Assuming that it doesn't GSOD again it should be golden.
Old 27-11-2011, 07:13   #8
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Great to hear you've managed to bring it back to life. Fingers crossed that there isn't an underlying fault with the HDD though.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:22   #9
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Hopefully not a HDD problem, yeah... interesting thing is since the fix some of the new options I wasn't seeing after having upgraded from 15.1 to 15.2 are there, for example after the upgrade there weren't parental lock controls for all the Apps but now there are.
Old 27-11-2011, 13:23   #10
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

That is certainly an interesting observation. Maybe the update didn't complete correctly for what ever reason?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:47   #11
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

I suppose it's possible... who's to say that people having problems with frequent crashes and reboots couldn't have their problems fixed by using the same method I did rather than a brand new box?

NOTE: I'd go into detail about what it involves (no it doesn't require opening the TiVo!) but to be honest I was told in confidence and don't want to break that trust!
Old 27-11-2011, 14:08   #12
daz100
Inactive

daz100 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the tip. The reboots are driving me nuts.
daz100 is offline   Reply With Quote