Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

Old 12-09-2019, 16:17   #16
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I feel like answering and asking them for their ID so I can check them out. But really I can't be bothered.

It is a recorded call.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2019, 23:24   #17
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
The spoof the originating number too, the latest ones look like a mobile (not likely to be ISP but could be a friend we don't the number stored for) or 034 so could be a call from supplier of some sort.

The real number is known so excepting known exceptions it would be nice if telcos could look to tagging or dropping calls where the claimed number doesn't match. I know there are legitimate reasons sometimes maybe but they should be exceptions.
Telcos are required to validate that the CLI displayed is a valid dialable number. The fact they are required to do so, doesn't mean they are of course!
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 11:03   #18
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Telcos are required to validate that the CLI displayed is a valid dialable number. The fact they are required to do so, doesn't mean they are of course!
The number is likely dialable but is it the same number as the originating node? Bit like spoofing email addresses or other playing with the (more visible part) mail header.
Old 13-09-2019, 19:21   #19
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Rarely if ever is the number displayed dialable. In many cases it's a completely invalid range - for instance some I have had show as 020 2xxx xxxx London numbers starting with 2 are not in use. Therefore there are basic checks the telcos should be (and are required) to do but are not doing so.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 23:01   #20
martkt10
cf.member

martkt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Rarely if ever is the number displayed dialable. In many cases it's a completely invalid range - for instance some I have had show as 020 2xxx xxxx London numbers starting with 2 are not in use. Therefore there are basic checks the telcos should be (and are required) to do but are not doing so.
Is there anyway of blocking the call, had the same numbers again today
martkt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 14:43   #21
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'd like to think the (reputable) larger telcos would be better at this than the smaller operators, but you're absolutely right about how well (or not) the rules are enforced!
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 15:14   #22
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I didn't know they weren't used. Thanks.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 14:42   #23
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by martkt10 View Post
Is there anyway of blocking the call, had the same numbers again today
Depends on your handset- you needs one that displays the numbers and has the option to block.
Old 16-09-2019, 22:31   #24
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

I've had this before and told the caller she was scammer and to get stuffed hasn't called back since.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 23:13   #25
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
I've had this before and told the caller she was scammer and to get stuffed hasn't called back since.
Tell them you work for the fraud prevention department (of whichever Telco/ISP the day they’re from), and can you have a chat with their supervisor, and they’ll gang up tout-suite, and you won’t get called back from them again...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:24   #26
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Just got one of these as well.
My mum answered the phone and the record message was saying they going to cut off internet in 45 minutes and to press a button.
She hung up, then I redial the number and got a dead tone.

Number was: 01253013361

Last edited by GazCBG; 01-10-2019 at 12:28.
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:28   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Spoofed number
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 15:21   #28
StevenNT
cf.addict

Services: 500Mb Hyperoptic, Sky Signature with HD, UHD and Ultimate On Demand
StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them

My parents has one too, and called me to confirm if it was even real. All I could say was it's complete nonsense and just hang up without saying anything.

I guess this is a new scam that's doing the rounds?
StevenNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 16:30   #29
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

We have had 3 call in the last couple of days saying our line would be disconnected because we are downloading illegal content.
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 17:05   #30
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Can't find details, but I am sure I read that the US phone networks are working on some some sort of certification system so you can be sure that the call is actually coming from the phone number it says it's coming from. Can't find the link though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote