Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | STB Updated with a solid state drive!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

STB Updated with a solid state drive!

Old 21-08-2019, 12:34   #1
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB
Exclamation STB Updated with a solid state drive!

I know this is not allowed, but let's say in a different world.

If you had the ability to clone the old hard drive from a STB (TiVo or V6) onto a solid state drive.

Would this make the experience of using the box better/quicker?
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2019, 12:50   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: STB Updated with a solid state drive!

I suppose the day will come when SSD's replace all hard drives. And it should speed things up for us all.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 12:52   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I doubt it for any of the current boxes.

Recordings to disk are in real time so there is no advantage there, and playback (even with Fast Forward and Rewind) is slow enough for a spinning disk to deal with easily

The only time an SSD might help would be for startup and possibly where the box has a large recording index to deal with

Between the 1TB V6 and 1TB TiVo I'd expect the hard drives to be roughly the same spec, yet the V6 is much faster than the TiVo box. That's due to the other parts of the box, not the disk drive.
Old 21-08-2019, 14:58   #4
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future

But my though was if you can access a SSD faster than a standard HD the the software on the box should respond quicker, I was thinking the TiVo boxes. I find the V6 quite quick as it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I doubt it for any of the current boxes.

Recordings to disk are in real time so there is no advantage there, and playback (even with Fast Forward and Rewind) is slow enough for a spinning disk to deal with easily

The only time an SSD might help would be for startup and possibly where the box has a large recording index to deal with

Between the 1TB V6 and 1TB TiVo I'd expect the hard drives to be roughly the same spec, yet the V6 is much faster than the TiVo box. That's due to the other parts of the box, not the disk drive.
Old 21-08-2019, 15:14   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
But my though was if you can access a SSD faster than a standard HD the the software on the box should respond quicker, I was thinking the TiVo boxes. I find the V6 quite quick as it is
The operating systems on electronic devices are usually loaded into RAM memory from Hard Disk (or SSD) on boot up. RAM only operates while the device has power and everything in it is wiped when power is switched off. Hard disks and Sold State Drives retain data when power is switched off.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 17:04   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I suppose the day will come when SSD's replace all hard drives. And it should speed things up for us all.
Around 1990 I went to a presentation where the price per bit of hard disk and battery-backed RAM over time was shown. The charts were pretty straight and crossed at 1995, so the presenter predicted that hard drives would be obsolete by then.

But what actually happened over the next couple of years was hard drive capacities suddenly shot up. 30 years later they are still cheaper than solid-state.

So I'm pretty sceptical of any prediction of the demise of hard drives.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

To answer the OP, TiVo would be faster because it does a lot of paging. It probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference on the V6.

But don't do it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 18:25   #7
paul0363
cf.member

paul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nice

It's unlikely SSDs will be used in PVRs as it's a bad idea to keep writing data to an SSD (the way they're handled in PCs is different to HDDs e.g. defrag is turned off to prevent too many write cycles). As the V6 STB is constantly writing to the drive (so that you can pause & rewind live TV) the lifespan of the disc would be badly impaired. See here and here

Last edited by paul0363; 21-08-2019 at 18:33.
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 02:48   #8
JMcB
cf.geek

Let's say a friend removed and cloned the 500Gb HD to an SSD tonight and confirmed on first testing his TiVo booted a lot quicker, accessed recordings very quickly. Also menus and changing channel seemed a bit quicker.

He promised more testing soon ������
Old 22-08-2019, 12:24   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

ALDI has a no-Hard Drive Medion laptop on sale at the moment.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 22:43   #10
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Let's say a friend removed and cloned the 500Gb HD to an SSD tonight and confirmed on first testing his TiVo booted a lot quicker, accessed recordings very quickly. Also menus and changing channel seemed a bit quicker.

He promised more testing soon ������

I would be more interested if you told me your friend cloned a 1Tb V6 hard drive to a 4 Tb drive and it worked.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 02:49   #11
JMcB
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I would be more interested if you told me your friend cloned a 1Tb V6 hard drive to a 4 Tb drive and it worked.
I asked and was told, would work 110% they just need at 4Tb HD and a v6 stb
Old 24-08-2019, 23:27   #12
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I asked and was told, would work 110% they just need at 4Tb HD and a v6 stb

And a set of instructions to follow to do this.

Some years ago I updated the hard drive in 2 early Sky HD boxes with no dramas including keeping all recordings - I would love it if there was a similar patch to follow with the V6 (even if only to 2Tb)

Anyone?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 00:19   #13
JMcB
cf.geek

I was sent this link and told this is the big secret

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LN0GX..._gDByDbTVPR5M0
Old 25-08-2019, 00:22   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I was sent this link and told this is the big secret

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LN0GX..._gDByDbTVPR5M0
What's such a big secret about 2 bay HHD docking stations, they've been out for a few years. Ir is it the one click cloning they've always had?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 02:05   #15
JMcB
cf.geek

Reading the information on the page it must be.