Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

Old 19-09-2005, 23:37   #16
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: 1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
Was not having a pop i was just pointing out the T&C
IMO its a rather stupid Term at that!

I'm not having a pop either sorry if it comes across that way.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2005, 10:13   #17
hayesey
Inactive

hayesey is on a distinguished roadhayesey is on a distinguished road

I imagine the only reason for putting that into the T&Cs is so that if someone plugs 10 PCs into a 1Mb line & then phones NTL to complain of slow speeds when they're all being used, NTL can just say "well you're only supposed to use 3 PCs....". Other than that I can't see any reason for limiting the number of PCs you can connect.
hayesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 10:18   #18
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesey
I imagine the only reason for putting that into the T&Cs is so that if someone plugs 10 PCs into a 1Mb line & then phones NTL to complain of slow speeds when they're all being used, NTL can just say "well you're only supposed to use 3 PCs....". Other than that I can't see any reason for limiting the number of PCs you can connect.
That's it. If you connect 5 pc's to 1 1meg connection, (apart from being tight wads), you have no right to call ntl and complain of slow service. Remember that. Also remember that the d/l limit is 3gig a month...I'm damn sure that 5 of you would d/l more than that, which would give ntl yet another reason to kick you off their service. And people wonder why students get a hard time...
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 10:26   #19
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
Thought you was limited to 3 PCs on one network, NTL t&c.
That is correct, and Servers are not allowed.

That does not mean that people aren't doing it, it just means that if caught ntl could remove the service.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 10:33   #20
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon M
Depends on the type of server I guess, bdav was using a routing and file server which sounds like what I had (ie a pc for internal file storing etc/print server) I would say that was within the T&C's. However using a computer on your network as a server that could serve web pages of files externally would breach the ntl T&C's
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 12:26   #21
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Hmmm. 5 computers sharing a 1 Mb connection! You would only be able to have just over 20 Mb of traffic on each per day before breaching the usage allowance.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 12:38   #22
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Ouch! Thank god theyre notimplementing the cap yet eh? lol I think it might warrant the upgrade to 2meg!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 17:39   #23
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon M

That does not mean that people aren't doing it, it just means that if caught ntl could remove the service.

i have a linksys nslu2 accessable via http, ftp ,and samba, it also servs music to itunes via mt-daapd. (runs unslung 5.5, http://nslu2-linux.org)

but then not accessable from the internet the only time it ever gets allowed net access is to download packages/updates (its blocked from internet @ the router)

so i cant see ntl having a problem with it if they even knew it was there
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote