Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 17-01-2013, 20:03   #1666
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
More 4 HD now in full testing on Sky

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...0&postcount=11
Thats great new MM. Hopefully not long till launch
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2013, 21:00   #1667
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Anyone tried the NBA in 3D tonight ? Pretty impressive in my opinion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 21:22   #1668
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Anyone tried the NBA in 3D tonight ? Pretty impressive in my opinion.
Just gave it a try. The light reflecting on the blue floor of the court really pops out. Also when the action stops, and the camera is showing the arena, things like the scoreboard hanging from the roof and the basket really come out of the screen.

It's pretty good however the commentary is not to my taste
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 21:41   #1669
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
It's pretty good however the commentary is not to my taste
Never works does it , Brits commentating on US sports.
Old 17-01-2013, 22:07   #1670
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Never works does it , Brits commentating on US sports.
It's like putting brown sauce on a Hot Dog

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Been with SKY for less than a week and managed to score free cinema tickets for The Last Stand this Monday. It would have cost us £16 to buy the tickets. Well chuffed.
Old 18-01-2013, 08:43   #1671
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Been with SKY for less than a week and managed to score free cinema tickets for The Last Stand this Monday. It would have cost us £16 to buy the tickets. Well chuffed.
I also like the rewards, its a nice touch from Sky to give there customers free cinema tickets
Old 18-01-2013, 11:33   #1672
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Thats great new MM. Hopefully not long till launch
DS Forum is reporting that More4 HD may launch on Sky next week.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 15:22   #1673
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
DS Forum is reporting that More4 HD may launch on Sky next week.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:10   #1674
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
This is another great but often over looked perk of being a Sky customer!

How are you finding Sky after the first week Chad?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:14   #1675
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Looks like the Sky+ apps more advanced features are edging even closer too being deployed on Android.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...3&postcount=54
Old 20-01-2013, 13:02   #1676
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
This is another great but often over looked perk of being a Sky customer!

How are you finding Sky after the first week Chad?
TV is great so far. I'm learning to live with 2 tuners, which isn't as bad as I first thought. Plenty of +1 channels and SKY catch up means there hasn't been a recording clash yet. I however do miss the search and wishlist functions of TiVo.

SKY broadband has been the big surprise so far. My download speed as of today is now 14.5 mb. Yes it's slower than my 100mb connect with Virgin however I am beginning to learn speed isn't everything. It's great to have a connection that isn't managed in anyway. I know what speed I'm going to get 24/7 regardless of what I'm downloading, when I'm downloading and regardless how much I'm downloading. It puts me in mind of when I had Virgins truely unlimited and unshaped 20mb connection about 4 years ago.

I'm also finding SKY's broadband more stable, especially wi-fi. I invested in a Smart TV about 8 weeks ago. When trying to watch Youtube, Lovefilm or Blinkbox through the TV via my Virgin internet sometimes I couldn't connect to the sites or the video play would stutter or buffer. I've not had this problem with my SKY broadband so far. The other day I was playing Mario Kart online, downloading Eddie Murphy RAW to my SKY+ box, running Utorrent on my PC whilst my wife surfed the web. No problems at all.

Through my friends and family deal my broadband is costing £3.75 per month or £45.00 per year. Seriously good value for almost 15mb with no download limits.
Old 20-01-2013, 13:26   #1677
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
TV is great so far. I'm learning to live with 2 tuners, which isn't as bad as I first thought. Plenty of +1 channels and SKY catch up means there hasn't been a recording clash yet. I however do miss the search and wishlist functions of TiVo.

SKY broadband has been the big surprise so far. My download speed as of today is now 14.5 mb. Yes it's slower than my 100mb connect with Virgin however I am beginning to learn speed isn't everything. It's great to have a connection that isn't managed in anyway. I know what speed I'm going to get 24/7 regardless of what I'm downloading, when I'm downloading and regardless how much I'm downloading. It puts me in mind of when I had Virgins truely unlimited and unshaped 20mb connection about 4 years ago.

I'm also finding SKY's broadband more stable, especially wi-fi. I invested in a Smart TV about 8 weeks ago. When trying to watch Youtube, Lovefilm or Blinkbox through the TV via my Virgin internet sometimes I couldn't connect to the sites or the video play would stutter or buffer. I've not had this problem with my SKY broadband so far. The other day I was playing Mario Kart online, downloading Eddie Murphy RAW to my SKY+ box, running Utorrent on my PC whilst my wife surfed the web. No problems at all.

All in I'm not regretting my move at all. The wife misses not being able to watch catch-up in the bedroom however that isn't going to be a problem for much longer
Do you have an Android mobile or iPhone or tablet ? If so you can download quite a few decent apps , Sky Cloud Wifi gives you free Wifi at thousands of locations thanks to being a Sky BB subscriber.
http://www.sky.com/mysky/makethemost/sky-apps/

Sky never miss is also a useful feature if you check your email daily , likewise the Green remind me button what appears on certain promos for shows allows you to press Green and select a reminder or setup a series link for that particular show.
Old 20-01-2013, 13:31   #1678
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
Do you have an Android mobile or iPhone or tablet ? If so you can download quite a few decent apps , Sky Cloud Wifi gives you free Wifi at thousands of locations thanks to being a Sky BB subscriber.
http://www.sky.com/mysky/makethemost/sky-apps/

Sky never miss is also a useful feature if you check your email daily , likewise the Green remind me button what appears on certain promos for shows allows you to press Green and select a reminder or setup a series link for that particular show.
Sky Wifi cloud is great. Thinks will be better when the Sky+ app updates come to Android and from the link MM posted its getting closer, i cant wait for that. Sky go Extra looks good as well
Old 20-01-2013, 13:40   #1679
Chad
cf.mega poster

Thanks for the information guys. I'm now going to have a little rant

People have mentioned that when my 50% friends and family deal runs out in 12 months then my package might not be attractive. I agree however right now I feel more valued by SKY than I did with Virgin. I'd been with Telewest / Virgin for about 10 years. Since Virgin launched I've pretty much had their VIP package plus 2 mobile phones. I'm certain Virgin would have classed me as a high end or high spending customer. When I received my price increase letter in December I was actually only 2 months into a new 12 month deal due to changes I made to my package at the end of October. I called Virgin to tell them I wasn't happy and that I planned to change provider. I then called back 48 hours later to cancel explaining the deal I had managed to get via SKY. Virgin had the oppertunity to show how much they valued my loyalty and custom by matching the offer from SKY but they didn't. Virgin would rather lose me as a customer than match a rivals price. Both my mobile deals are up next month too. As I won't get a customer dicount anymore their deals aren't as impressive. The wife and I will be switching mobile provider. Virgin where getting about £1960 from me annually, from next month they will be getting zero.
Old 20-01-2013, 13:50   #1680
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

If your looking for new mobiles I'd certainly recommend iPhone or newer Android handsets as these will be the first to get developed for , and I'm sure there's many innovations on the way from Sky in the mobile arena , the Nexus 7 got Sky Go and is also excellent value for a 7" tablet if your ever in the market for a tablet.