Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ethernet switch

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ethernet switch

Old 22-01-2006, 16:45   #1
clupet
Inactive

clupet is on a distinguished roadclupet is on a distinguished road
ethernet switch

Hi i have a ethernet switch to connect 2 xp computers at work, unfortunetly it has no instruction manual and i have searched and searched the internet but all I can find is info about what a switch is.

I did try connecting them and used the wizard worked fine on one, but the main pc said there was something using the ip address it needed . I am trying to share internet, file and print sharing.

A real simple explanation would be great any help would be lovely im getting very disheartened and as it is at work a lot of pressure.

thanks
clupet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2006, 17:12   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ethernet switch

Not sure whether a switch is the right device for your office setup, will depend on the configuration.

Your wiring will need to be

Internet > PC #A Network port #1 (PC#A is effectively going to act as a server & router to the second PC)
PC #A Network port #2 > switch
Switch > PC#B network port

As you can see the main PC needs two network cards, or you may be able to substitute a USB connection from the internet instead of the network port#1.

The switch will just save you using a crossover ethernet cable. However it can be a good idea to have the switch (simply think of it as a junction box), if you need to add any other computers, maybe a standalone bakup disk, or even an ethernet enabled printer, you won't have to undo the wiring you have established now.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 17:54   #3
clupet
Inactive

clupet is on a distinguished roadclupet is on a distinguished road

thanks for replying so fast, my office setup is 2 xp pcs very close together like 5 ft apart.
Main pc receives broadband via ethernet connection

The set came with 2 cables and a pc card which i fitted into the main pc.

Is an ethernet switch not suitable for this?
clupet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 18:00   #4
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

I would say you need a second ethernet card in the first pc, then link via an ethernet lead, very cheap and it works.
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 00:17   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by clupet
thanks for replying so fast, my office setup is 2 xp pcs very close together like 5 ft apart.
Main pc receives broadband via ethernet connection

The set came with 2 cables and a pc card which i fitted into the main pc.

Is an ethernet switch not suitable for this?

You either wanted a router so your connections would have been:
modem <wire> router then Router <wire> PC #B & Router <wire> PC #B

without any need for a router or switch, just using the inbuilt Internet Connection Sharing functions of Windows:
modem <straight ethernet cable> PC #A ethernet card 1 then PC #A ethernet card #2 <crossover ethernet cable> PC#2 ethernet card.

NB. with the internet connection sharing scenario, if you do not have 2 ethernet cards in PC #A you can use a USB connection between the modem and PC #A, but that might slow the computer a tad, if internet use is heavy.

If you must use your switch then it goes between PC #A and {C # B in the internet connection sharing scenario. You then need standard straight through ethernet cables, not crossover for connections between PC #A to switch and PC#B.

With a connection distance of only 5ft or so between the PCs that's a nice short length of ethernet cable, so a switch is rather pointless, unless you have other networking expecteations for the future. All it will do is consume a bit of extra electricity.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote