Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl bottom in USwitch poll.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

ntl bottom in USwitch poll.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:54   #61
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: ntl bottom in USwitch poll.

Interesting article on USwitch at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...ads_dishonest/

USwitch recommend Toucan if you want unlimited broadband but what does their "unlimited" mean? Download a bit too much during their peak hours and you may get an email similar to the one in the article.

Quote:
"We monitor peak hour high usage on a weekly basis. Over the last week, your downloads and uploads have totalled 6.17 GB, which exceeds our peak hour usage thresholds:

"ToucanSurf 512Kb and 1Mb: 0.75 GB

"ToucanSurf 2Mb: 1GB"
Does that article give you any confidence in what USwitch have to say?
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2006, 19:03   #62
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
Interesting article on USwitch at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...ads_dishonest/

USwitch recommend Toucan if you want unlimited broadband but what does their "unlimited" mean? Download a bit too much during their peak hours and you may get an email similar to the one in the article.

Does that article give you any confidence in what USwitch have to say?
Don't really care about what USwitch said to be honest. They didn't do the poll, YouGov did. They just commissioned it. YouGov are professional pollsters.

Think people should stop trying to look at this and search for bias - ask USwitch for broadband they won't try and offer you Plusnet either, or didn't when I last searched.

ntl came last, regardless of the results they were the worst in the survey, and significantly worse than Telewest. Still shouldn't take too long to drag Telewest down.

Oh by the way regarding that story:

Quote:
Big cable companies like Telewest and NTL routinely disable peer-to-peer traffic when the number of connections rises above a comfortable limit.
News to ntl and especially the Telewest side that one I imagine.
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 21:42   #63
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

What ever people think this is only a sample of what not just NTL's customers think but the rest of the providers as well. On the whole I am happy with the service I get from NTL and I hate BT with a vengence but nobody has ever asked me what I think and I guess that will be the same for a lot of people
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 22:34   #64
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I am currently in debate with the ASA regarding 'unlimited' been used in advertising, they are acting like they have been brought. Giving me statements that an isp would say.

So I gave them the dictionary defenition of the word unlimited and then showed them evolutiondsl website and a statement from the evolutiondsl director contradicting what their own website advertises but the ASA email server bounces all emails so I need to wait for snail mail

Bear in mind that as long as isps are allowed to offer a service they dont have to fullfil such as unlimited it forces the competition to lower their standards to compete which is my motivation behind this, the entire uk telecoms undustry at current is a bit of a joke when compared to overseas and the regulation makes me sick.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 20:25   #65
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Their own website isn't subject to the ASA so they can say what they want on it.

If you find an ad that isn't on their website then you can take that to the ASA, however I could say that I have 14 inches down below on my own website and advertise how you could too with 1 simple pill and there's nothing the ASA could do about it.
Old 10-05-2006, 20:46   #66
allanprg
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Superhub 30mb, Digital tv & phone
allanprg is just really niceallanprg is just really niceallanprg is just really niceallanprg is just really niceallanprg is just really niceallanprg is just really nice

I must be one of the 81%. I've never had much trouble with NTL. And that's going right back to when it was Nynex. 12 years.Although I did have to have a change of stb last year. The Samsung became faulty. Phoned up. Engineer came round the same day. Put in new one and it has worked ok since then.The broadband only went down once. But that was my os. A winsoc error. I fixed that. Have since changed to XP Pro from ME. No trouble with that.So NTL are all right with me so there.Even if they have come bottom on the list.
allanprg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 18:39   #67
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoolwelshbloke
Well speak for yourself
I am!
I do understand that not everyone is lucky enough to receive this service tho!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 19:00   #68
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry
Their own website isn't subject to the ASA so they can say what they want on it.

If you find an ad that isn't on their website then you can take that to the ASA, however I could say that I have 14 inches down below on my own website and advertise how you could too with 1 simple pill and there's nothing the ASA could do about it.
So your own website could advertise this and not be illegal?

"Sign up now 10meg broadband. Click here"

Then the customer gets 1 meg and is legal?
Old 12-05-2006, 00:34   #69
James Henry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
So your own website could advertise this and not be illegal?

"Sign up now 10meg broadband. Click here"

Then the customer gets 1 meg and is legal?
Legal? No. (Misrepresentation of goods)

The ASA's jurisdiction? No.

An ad can be illegal without being anything to do with the ASA, they are just a standards authority. They don't decide legalities or otherwise they supply a framework to which nearly all advertising in the UK must adhere. Their decisions are legally binding but they themselves aren't law enforcement.
Old 12-05-2006, 21:48   #70
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

understood.
Old 12-05-2006, 23:18   #71
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry
Increase in outsourcing, which of course always does wonders for the quality of service.
Interesting comment, Virgin.net came higher up than ntl, so that proves your point
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote