Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June Price Rises?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues

June Price Rises?

Old 05-04-2006, 22:28   #61
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: June Price Rises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Fools
No, you have to pay for a phoneline if you have TV.
You do not have to have a phoneline with broadband, however.
no good to me then since my only other option is an indoor aerial or moving house.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2006, 22:41   #62
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Quite a few that don't want ntl's inferior telephone service I would suspect.
Inferior in what way exactly ?

FYI, my BT line failed at least three times in 9 years, my ntl line has never failed (7 years now).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 23:16   #63
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM
The way I read this is you are going to be paying more......

You require a BT land line £11 + the £80 for the VoiP + a BB connection (bt BB £17.99 pm)= £428

So how many people will change to this, not very many I can tell you.
If you have BB with Ntl there's no need to take out the BT line and BB. Jsut plug the box into your cable modem (it has a pass through if you don't have a router)/router and away you go. Only thing left to do is cancel your Ntl phone line.

If I was still with Ntl for my BB I'd be canceling my line at that price. IT also comes complete with caller display!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM
I understand that Neil but you still require a BB conection which in turn adds up to £132 + £80 = £212, so I think it just swings and round-abouts.
Which is why I said:

I'm assuming the customer already has BB with Ntl for this to work.

Working on the princepal of switching your Ntl Talk24 line for the freetalk box (again asssuming you have BB with Ntl) you'd save £169 a year.

If you jsut have the £11 basic phone line you'd save £53 plus the cost of your 01/02 calls from accross the year.

Win win if you ask me.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:02   #64
nopcode
Inactive

Services: TV M , 10MB BB
nopcode will become famous soon enoughnopcode will become famous soon enoughnopcode will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to nopcode Send a message via Yahoo to nopcode

hmm I still think the £2 non dd fee is annoying, £4 even more so, just because I choose to pay in cash (ON TIME/EVERYTIME) I get penalised to the (new) tune of £48 a year! sucks.

I also keep getting the recorded telephone messages telling me ill have to pay £10 (I cant remember exactly, always half asleep after night shifts to listen) if I pay the bill late.

How about scrapping non DD charges and increasing late payment penalty, I feel victimised, just because I dont trust my bank to get things right, on time with DD's (I've had alot of issues with LLOYDs TSB, before)
nopcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:32   #65
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Inferior in what way exactly ?

FYI, my BT line failed at least three times in 9 years, my ntl line has never failed (7 years now).
The features that BT offer every customer that ntl only offer to some, & some that they don't offer at all.

1) If your BT phone line dies, they will divert all calls free of charge to a mobile number of your choice (ntl do not even offer that)

2) Caller ID.

3) Compensation for every day that your BT landline is down (again-something else that ntl don't offer)

4) The ability to report & track a fault online with a BT phone.

5) BT have a clear & concise Customer Service Guarantee: http://www.bt.com/customerservices/c..._our_guarantee

That enough reasons for you why ntl's phone service is inferior to BT's?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:52   #66
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
They really do want their customers to switch supplier don't they.

£11 for a phone service that's now far inferior to most of the other products* on the market both price and feature wise! Oops.

*it's bowled over by freetalks product, £80 for the year including line rental
Really? Where does it say that?

Quote:
and all local and national calls. Ideal for those with just BB and phone with Ntl, it'd cost you £276 for the same package with Ntl and Ntl doesn't even offer caller ID in most places!
It does state that you must not have this package as your only landline (so you have to pay for another phone line anyway), as freetalk numbers cannot be traced by the emergency services..... Not such a great deal IMO.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:29   #67
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
Really? Where does it say that?
Here: http://www.freetalk.co.uk/ProdServ_OneYearDetails.aspx

All you pay is £79.99 for unlimited local & national calls via your existing BB connection, so if you pay £24.99 (for example) to ntl for BB & another £11 per month for their phone 'service', then you can ditch the phone & just pay the equivalent of £6.66 per month for a line with the following features:

Included Features

Unlimited Minutes
Choose Your Own Area Code
Voicemail
Voicemail to Email Notification (Coming Soon)
Caller ID
Outgoing Caller ID Blocking
Distinctive Ringing
Three-Way Calling
Call Waiting
Call Forwarding
Anonymous Call Blocking
Do Not Disturb
Call Return
Convenient Online Account Management and Billing
Low International Rates
Phone - Based Call Management
Freetalk portability

Additional Features

Virtual Numbers

Info here: http://www.freetalk.co.uk/Features_.aspx

Quote:
It does state that you must not have this package as your only landline (so you have to pay for another phone line anyway), as freetalk numbers cannot be traced by the emergency services..... Not such a great deal IMO.
Where does it say that?

All I can find is the following in the Ts & Cs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetalk
6. NO EMERGENCY CALLS.

The Services do not provide emergency call services of any kind. The Equipment and Services do not support 999 and/or 112 emergency call dialing or other emergency functions. You accept that You must make alternative arrangements to access 999 and/or 112 or similar emergency call services.
So it doesn't say you must have an alternative landline, all it says is that you must make alternative arrangements (most peeps have mobiles & neighbours in terms of emergencies)

All in all Freetalk is an enourmous improvement over ntl's inferior phone 'service'.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:11   #68
orangebird
Inactive

orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<snip>

Where does it say that?

All I can find is the following in the Ts & Cs:

So it doesn't say you must have an alternative landline, all it says is that you must make alternative arrangements (most peeps have mobiles & neighbours in terms of emergencies)
It says at he bottom of the first page of the link - 'Emergency Services
freetalk must not be used as your only phoneline. Emergency operators are not able to trace a freetalk number.'

Quote:
All in all Freetalk is an enourmous improvement over ntl's inferior phone 'service'.
IMO ntl's isn't inferior. I had one problem with a fault at the cabinet, which was fixed without the tech having to come into my flat. I had caller id, and never needed to claim compo for anything.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:32   #69
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
freetalk must not be used as your only phoneline. Emergency operators are not able to trace a freetalk number.'
I would never rely on any VoIP service for emergency calls, there are far too many things to fail in a real emergency (power-cut, broadband failure, limited shared bandwidth, etc.).

A real phoneline has a battery backup so will still work in a power-cut when you most need it.
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:34   #70
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
I still can't see that Can you give me a link please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangebird
IMO ntl's isn't inferior. I had one problem with a fault at the cabinet, which was fixed without the tech having to come into my flat. I had caller id, and never needed to claim compo for anything.
Your opinion doesn't make it superior

I suggest you take a look here for a few reasons why BT's phone service outshines ntl's in every way: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...8&postcount=65
Old 06-04-2006, 11:39   #71
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
I still can't see that Can you give me a link please?
Here - scroll down to the bottom.

Quote:
Your opinion doesn't make it superior
I never said it did. But your opinion makes it inferior?

Quote:
I suggest you take alook here for a few reasons why BT's phone service outshines ntl's in every way: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...8&postcount=65
Yep, seen all that a hundred times or more on here already. BUt if you have a trouble free service (like I did), who gives a monkeys?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:50   #72
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Here - scroll down to the bottom.
Ta.

But it still doesn't say you must have another landline, all it says is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetalk
Emergency Services
freetalk must not be used as your only phoneline. Emergency operators are not able to trace a freetalk number.
Quote:
I never said it did. But your opinion makes it inferior?
But it's not my opinion-I have given you a list of facts that prove that ntl's phone service is inferior to BT's in every way imaginable-it's not about the reliabilty of the phone line, it's about what happens after it fails that is the big difference between ntl & BT-with ntl you have to ring up & hope for the best, with BT you can report it & track it online & also get all your calls diverted to your mobile or another landline so people who ring you will never know that your landline is dead.

The same cannot be said for ntl's 'service' as they do not offer such a service, if your phone line is dead no one will be able to reach it.

Quote:
Yep, seen all that a hundred times or more on here already. BUt if you have a trouble free service (like I did), who gives a monkeys?
But that still doesn't change the fact that BT's phone service offers far more for your money that ntl ever could.

And the people that will give a monkeys will be the ntl customers who do have a problem with their phone line....
Old 06-04-2006, 11:54   #73
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
Ta.

But it still doesn't say you must have another landline, all it says is:
So, you still have to have another phone line of some description anyway. Where's the saving then?

Quote:
But it's not my opinion-I have given you a list of facts that prove that ntl's phone service is inferior to BT's in every way imaginable-it's not about the reliabilty of the phone line, it's about what happens after it fails that is the big difference between ntl & BT-with ntl you have to ring up & hope for the best, with BT you can report it & track it online & also get all your calls diverted to your mobile or another landline so people who ring you will never know that your landline is dead.

The same cannot be said for ntl's 'service' as they do not offer such a service, if your phone line is dead no one will be able to reach it.

But that still doesn't change the fact that BT's phone service offers far more for your money that ntl ever could.

And the people that will give a monkeys will be the ntl customers who do have a problem with their phone line....
Is this the same BT that 'offered' to charge me £75 for a phone line when I moved house?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:12   #74
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
So, you still have to have another phone line of some description anyway. Where's the saving then?
Who doesn;t have a mobile/neighbour in an emergency?

The point is you don't have to have another landline.

Quote:
Is this the same BT that 'offered' to charge me £75 for a phone line when I moved house?
Probably-why should BT turn up & install a phone line for free just because the property you moved into doesn't have a phone line?

On the other hand, if the property already had BT sockets in it then they would sort out your phone line for free.

They're a business not a charity (just like ntl )
Old 06-04-2006, 12:52   #75
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Who doesn;t have a mobile/neighbour in an emergency?

The point is you don't have to have another landline.
So there we all go. And if Freetalk isn't right for you there are loads of other VoIP operators out there that may suit your needs guys.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote