Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 20-08-2005, 13:04   #621
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Here's a good example of why 10Mbit isn't going uncapped:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=1990230
All I kept thinking as I read that link is what do they need to download that amount for and were do they store it all
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2005, 13:04   #622
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
So for their £21.99p/m tariff they allow 25gb a month more than NTL will allow on a £38p/m tariff.
So what are you doing with ntl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieDieMyDarling
Add to that, UKonline offer 500GB cap. I would be very happy on a reduced speed line, within reason, and paying the same price as i am now for 3mb, uncapped, or at least with a reasonable cap. Say 200GB a month.
Again go with UKO.

If you absolutely require 200GB/month or near it ntl isn't for you right now dude.
Old 20-08-2005, 13:17   #623
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Again go with UKO.

If you absolutely require 200GB/month or near it ntl isn't for you right now dude.
Why shouldn't I be with NTL? Just because I don't agree with low usage limits doesn't mean I download huge amounts every month. NTL currently offer the best service for my needs in my area. The max ADSL speed I can get is 1mbit, so why would I chose ADSL over cable?

I know it makes it an easier arguement for you if anyone that's against a low usage cap downloads pirate software, films and music all day. But that simply isn't true.

So far I've not had any problems with NTL, and apparently they have no problems with me, otherwise I guess they would have sent me a letter asking me to lower my usage.
Old 20-08-2005, 13:29   #624
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
All I kept thinking as I read that link is what do they need to download that amount for and were do they store it all
All I keep thinking is how sorry that a life has been wasted for one person who decides do sit and download anything and everything all day, everyday.

They should not just disconnect him for being a leech to their network but also in the interest of health....
Old 20-08-2005, 13:32   #625
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Again go with UKO.

Well it is for the moment, i've had no letter, no emails, nothing from ntl saying they have any problems with my useage.

Just out of interest, Ian@huth and Ignition, what do you both think of ntl's timing on this? Issuing a statement saying they will be releasing unlimited services later in the year, then deciding to punish those heavy users it will be aimed at, in the same week. Do you agree that it is bad management?
Old 20-08-2005, 13:37   #626
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
Just out of interest, Ian@huth and Ignition, what do you both think of ntl's timing on this? Issuing a statement saying they will be releasing unlimited services later in the year, then deciding to punish those heavy users it will be aimed at, in the same week. Do you agree that it is bad management?
Personally I think they have planned it. They get rid of the biggest downloaders before the unlimited service comes in, then won't have the worry of them hogging the network as they will have no grounds on which to cut them off. Unlimited is unlimited and if someone downloads 500gb a month, what can NTL do about it? But as it stands they can get rid of them now while they have agreed to the 30gb a month.
Old 20-08-2005, 13:42   #627
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era

All ISPs offering uncapped services will go capped eventually why the **** some people need over 250+ gb per month is beyond me for home use, seems to me NTL cant win with some people whatever they do.
Old 20-08-2005, 13:56   #628
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
Personally I think they have planned it. They get rid of the biggest downloaders before the unlimited service comes in, then won't have the worry of them hogging the network as they will have no grounds on which to cut them off. Unlimited is unlimited and if someone downloads 500gb a month, what can NTL do about it? But as it stands they can get rid of them now while they have agreed to the 30gb a month.
Have you read the NTL statement and do you understand it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL
What action are we taking?

We are writing to these customers and will begin formally monitoring their usage for a month. We hope they will move quickly back into the bounds of our fair usage allowance. However if they continue to abuse the service we will write to them again. We will either move them onto a lower speed unlimited service or suspend them. Ultimately, this will depend on upon the degree to which they modify their behaviour.
Please note that it does say that they will either move them to a lower speed unlimited service or suspend them. To me this would indicate that they are not trying to get rid of them before an unlimited service is in place.

Even when an unlimited service is in operation there will probably be a clause in the T&C's that would allow them to get rid of any customer they wanted to or restrict their usage. If you look carefully at all ISP's T&C's they all have a catch all clause which allows them to remove any customers that they wish to.

My own feeling is that NTL customers who have exceeded their usage allowance to such a degree that they are getting warning letters have been very fortunate to get away with it for as long as they have.
Old 20-08-2005, 14:05   #629
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
My own feeling is that NTL customers who have exceeded their usage allowance to such a degree that they are getting warning letters have been very fortunate to get away with it for as long as they have.
Yup people have been very fortunate to get away with it for so long but they were told this was coming can't say they were not warned.
Old 20-08-2005, 14:21   #630
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

To be honest it's to keep those people away from the 10Mbit services by the looks of it, those guys on 10Mbit are potentially dangerous to network performance in quite a big way

It's pretty tough to manage network areas when one user can munch such a huge slice of the bandwidth.
Old 20-08-2005, 14:35   #631
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Quote:
To be honest it's to keep those people away from the 10Mbit services by the looks of it, those guys on 10Mbit are potentially dangerous to network performance in quite a big way

It's pretty tough to manage network areas when one user can munch such a huge slice of the bandwidth.
I was half right then
Old 20-08-2005, 15:31   #632
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudders
Heres one for ya.....

When I launch msn.co.uk and they have some streaming trailer of the latest movie which I don't chose to view (which happens on many sites), are NTL going to approach these sites and ask them not to do this as it is data coming down their calble that customers have not requested??!!

Can we add all this data up and submit it to NTL at the end of each month and say "We didn't request this data, it was feed down our cable as an ADVERT!!"

Do you think they would ake that off the allowence... lol
Err, but you did choose to view it - by logging on to that site.
Old 20-08-2005, 16:32   #633
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

Quote:
Heres one for ya.....

When I launch msn.co.uk and they have some streaming trailer of the latest movie which I don't chose to view (which happens on many sites), are NTL going to approach these sites and ask them not to do this as it is data coming down their calble that customers have not requested??!!

Can we add all this data up and submit it to NTL at the end of each month and say "We didn't request this data, it was feed down our cable as an ADVERT!!"

Do you think they would ake that off the allowence... lol
Just click 'stop' at the top of your browser, it will stop

cheers

Ian
Old 20-08-2005, 16:48   #634
theNomad
Inactive

Services: NTL-Full TV/512k UNLIMITED
theNomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL
What action are we taking?

We are writing to these customers and will begin formally monitoring their usage for a month. We hope they will move quickly back into the bounds of our fair usage allowance. However if they continue to abuse the service we will write to them again. We will either move them onto a lower speed unlimited service or suspend them. Ultimately, this will depend on upon the degree to which they modify their behaviour.
The bit "a lower speed unlimited service" suits me fine,I allready pay more for my ntl net because I dont mind about upgrading my perfectly OK for my means pace box which only goes 1.5mb max (sorry for keep reapeting this but I was happy with my old 750k speeds tbh didnt wanna change and wasnt aware that my contract was an ongoing rolling one),I still pay the same as people with a proper 2mb connection and the samsung box do.

Anyone with vested interests in ntl care to say what us higher ratio downloaders speeds are gonna drop down too ? as I'm sure this situation will suit most people,speed isnt an issue but having 6 members in my house and the 30gbs cap does.If I wouldnt have pre-paid my £50 per season pay-per view sports when I got the exesive usage letter then I would of left ntl over this,Ive a feeling once my kids go back to school I'll not be as high so hopefully will limbo under any further actions if not under the 30gbs I'll try.

Cant we all just shake hands as the thread is getting mighty repetitive and seems too much bitching for bitchings sake I'm sure I'll get the same if you cant agree to the 30gbs per month limit your free to leave replys but I feel my £90pm + more for pay-per-view sports and 4 years use gives me a right to see whats gonna happen within the next few months if it gets worse then I'm sure I'll have too move even though its nice and easy having my phone,cable and net all on the same bill.

Ohh on a final sour note I was speaking on another forum about ntl's policy of not mentioning or their salesmen lying about the fact their service is capped and a follow on reply mentioned he has a taped conversation dated must be some skype answerphone set up with them telling him their connection wasnt limited by amount he/she could d/l,so this is an issue I feel NTL should fairly tell people about even their current TV ads for their surely too good to be true cabletv-phone-net £30 per month package doesnt actually tell you its limited.(So thats the four main means of buying NTL cable all poorly marketed like this door 2 door,high street stands,over the phone and TV advertised) I'm sure the more this subject is rasised the more people will find out about it.And at very least it should raise a breech of advertising standards.

Come on guys I know cf needs to fairly treat ntl and that cf have members here work for ntl,but its wrong they can fool people into signing a package in this manner.Other than right now i've been 100% happy with my 4 years on cable & wireless & now ntl,and told countless numbers of people that its a good service.

Peace out guys.doubt I'll respond now,as this grounds been walked on enough.
Old 20-08-2005, 17:07   #635
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNomad

Come on guys I know cf needs to fairly treat ntl and that cf have members here work for ntl,but its wrong they can fool people into signing a package in this manner.Other than right now i've been 100% happy with my 4 years on cable & wireless & now ntl,and told countless numbers of people that its a good service.

So am i correct that as a member of staff you are saying that i have been fooling other members of this forum, And telling them there is no cap ?

Old 20-08-2005, 17:27   #636
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
So am i correct that as a member of staff you are saying that i have been fooling other members of this forum, And telling them there is no cap ?
You've answered your own question, if you've been telling people that there are no caps on ntl, then yes, you have been lying, and therefore fooling people.
Old 20-08-2005, 17:31   #637
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
Quote:
Originally Posted by theNomad

Actually reading the whole of theNomad's post I don't think he is saying all or even specific ntl staff are "fooling" customers of forum members.

What he is saying, I beleive, is that ntl in their marketing do not highlight their capping policy. And yes that is poor practice.

Lets all be careful here and not get too jumpy making accusations or seeing personal accusations that are not there.
Old 20-08-2005, 17:42   #638
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
You've answered your own question, if you've been telling people that there are no caps on ntl, then yes, you have been lying, and therefore fooling people.

Old 20-08-2005, 18:05   #639
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Old 20-08-2005, 18:59   #640
Earwig
Inactive

Services: 10MBIT, NTL Sky Digital
Earwig is on a distinguished roadEarwig is on a distinguished road

No point in going on about all this until we find out what the lower Uncapped speeds are going to be.

If we find out that it is going to be something like 2Mbit then you can join me in the queue at the ADSL counter waiting to sing up for something that will hopefully be more, and let's face it, it will not be long before it is now....

NTL may yet suprise us all and come up with a great offer of maybe 5-6Mbit Uncapped or more....Need to wait, be patient and then act on Concrete info rather than Heresay.

The best thing to do with this thread will be JUST to let people know what YOU would like to see and what WILL make you leave. There may still be time to sway their decisions if they are in fact planning a 1Mbit uncapped.......

This is what I WILL do..................

1. I want my connection to be one of their Uncapped Teirs.

2. I want to pay NO MORE than I am for 3Mbit.

3. I want a SPEED upgrade.

4. I DO NOT expect 10Mbit (would love it though ! ) Maybe 5-6Mbit would be great if Un-capped.

5. I want an increase in Upload. 768 or Higher.

6. If Upload is ONLY higher on 10Mbit and NOT on uncapped I WILL look elswhere.

7. If they do not meet my needs then I WILL NOT sign a new contract until I have seen the offering from ADSL.

8. If I cannot find an ADSL supplier uncapped then a Half decent cap will do me. 2-300GB is enough.

9. I would be HAPPY with a CAPPED connection as long as the cap was realistic for a MODERN day Broadband service. 75GB is simply NOT enough and as people actually LEARN to use the net they will find this out. I doubt many people would complain if their TOP tier for 10Mbit had a 300GB cap on it. Still FAR lower than most out there but at least it is fairly respectable.
Closed Thread