Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 18-08-2005, 16:00   #481
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
I'm not one to pretend. Or disappoint

I thought replying to and quoting Chrysalis would've given a clue as to whom I was asking the question. Silly me
This is a PUBLIC forum, for people to air their opinions (I just looked it up in the guidelines ) if you wanted to keep the conversation solely between you and Chrysalis, IMHO you should take it out of the public domain, if not, expect people to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
Err, doesn't Chrysalis make it OB's business how much he or she downloads when he or she puts it in a public forum? People are fairly free to post what they want here, but they must expect to be questioned by other forum users.
:lol: how is that different to my asking orangebird why s/he cares??

Or does that rule only work one way?
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2005, 16:04   #482
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Arcade
<snip>
:lol: how is that different to my asking orangebird why s/he cares??

Or does that rule only work one way?
I was asking a legitimate question - you were telling me it was none of my business even though I wasn't asking you in the first place... Completely different.
Old 18-08-2005, 16:07   #483
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

No, I asked what do you care?

I then said that I felt that it was none of my business what others do with their connections, you obviously feel differently, I wondered why?

In all honesty, what does it matter? He goes over NTL's monthly allowance, therefore the product as it stands in not right for him, WHY he goes over and what he does to do so is irrelevant (Unless I missed something)
Old 18-08-2005, 16:09   #484
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No, I asked what do you care?

I then said that I felt that it was none of my business what others do with their connections, you obviously feel differently, I wondered why?

In all honesty, what does it matter? He goes over NTL's monthly allowance, therefore the product as it stands in not right for him, WHY he goes over and what he does to do so is irrelevant (Unless I missed something)
Irrelevent to you maybe. But (shock horror), that won't cover everyones thoughts on the matter. Anyway, Chrysalis was more than happy to oblige. Have a lovely day.
Old 18-08-2005, 16:12   #485
PC_Arcade
Inactive

:lol: fair enough.
Old 18-08-2005, 16:32   #486
BarFly
Inactive

BarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to BarFly

perhaps you 2 would like to get a room...

Old 18-08-2005, 16:32   #487
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

I fear for all those people who've had their mac address cloned. I assume usage totals would be affected by this? Correct me if I'm wrong.

At first I thought this was terrible timing for NTL, since the 10mbit package is close to coming in and the heaviest users are liable to be on 3mbit now, but if you think about it, the promise of faster speeds is a carrot to keep those users on depsite the enforcement of caps. They really should consider upping the cap on 3mbit to 75gig now, if they have the capacity to handle a larger cap on 10mbit they sure as hell will have it to handle 3mbit.
Old 18-08-2005, 16:37   #488
yer nice one
Inactive

yer nice one is an unknown quantity at this point

Caps have been around for years with NTL,
Everyone knew what they were getting when they signed up,

30 Gigs on the 2 and 3mb products is good in my opinion, toping 100+ Gigs a month is putting strain on the network and possible slow downs for others,

This is a residential product, for peoples leasure time, If you need more than 30Gig a month,
Then your obvisiouly using the line for other business purposes,

I would love to know how 1 person can acumlate 163gb in a month on legal downloads,
And dont tell me you downloaded every linux distros available on the net (lol)
Old 18-08-2005, 16:43   #489
Radeon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 100mb
Radeon is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the cap for the 3mb connection should be 100gb at least and the 10mb connection around 300 to 500gb

75gb a month on a 10mb connection, they must be joking, it's ridiculous, on a 10mb connection you can download 4.5gb an hour, 75gb could be broken in no time

Also, not had a letter from NTL (yet ) for my average of 90-100gb a month
Old 18-08-2005, 16:45   #490
PC_Arcade
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer nice one
I didn't , when I signed up there were no caps, I wouldn't have had an NTL line fitted if I'd known then just how restrictive their caps were going to be, now it's going to be expensive to change
Old 18-08-2005, 16:46   #491
Tuftus

Quote:

30 Gigs on the 2 and 3mb products is good in my opinion, toping 100+ Gigs a month is putting strain on the network and possible slow downs for others,

This is a residential product, for peoples leasure time, If you need more than 30Gig a month,
Then your obvisiouly using the line for other business purposes,

I would love to know how 1 person can acumlate 163gb in a month on legal downloads,
And dont tell me you downloaded every linux distros available on the net (lol)
Don't mention the linux distros...

Some people get very upset when you mention those!!!

Old 18-08-2005, 16:58   #492
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds to me, from that comment from ntl, that they jumped the gun. They haven't sorted out a proper plan yet, and are instead using fear to get rid of heavier users.

If they are going to offer a lower speed, with no caps, for the same speed, why not put that in the letter?
I'm currently on 3mb, and getting through about 100GB a month, i'd probably be willing to pay the same amount for say 1-2mb, uncapped. Then maybe raise that to 3-4mb, when everyone else goes onto 10mb.

Someone mentioned Business broadband, does anyone know the details? Do you have to upgrade your phone line to a business line too? And is it definitely uncapped?
Old 18-08-2005, 16:58   #493
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't , when I signed up there were no caps, I wouldn't have had an NTL line fitted if I'd known then just how restrictive their caps were going to be, now it's going to be expensive to change
You signed a rolling contract (IE, it expires and is automatically renewed every twelve months untill cancelled). Your non-cancellation of the contract is considered as acceptance of the new terms. This is how it was explained to me when I bought up the same thing.
Old 18-08-2005, 17:16   #494
DrK
Inactive

DrK is on a distinguished roadDrK is on a distinguished road

first post, just like to say i beat the 193gb, and im sure i have every month since the 3mb speed was introduced.

havent got no letter yet,

what ntl should be more worried about is all these running entire bussiness of NTLs back, who have 2/3 cloned mac addresses and download TB a month.
Old 18-08-2005, 17:19   #495
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrK
first post, just like to say i beat the 193gb, and im sure i have every month since the 3mb speed was introduced.
Well done. You must be very proud.

I don't get it and I know I'm not going to get an honest/sensible answer.....

This question is for anybody that is here boasting about how much they download.....What the hell are you downloading?

What can you possibly find to download (and where on Earth from) that uses up, for example, 193Gb a month?
Old 18-08-2005, 17:28   #496
DrK
Inactive

DrK is on a distinguished roadDrK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Well done. You must be very proud.

I don't get it and I know I'm not going to get an honest/sensible answer.....

This question is for anybody that is here boasting about how much they download.....What the hell are you downloading?

What can you possibly find to download (and where on Earth from) that uses up, for example, 193Gb a month?

Lol sorry i guess it seemed like i was bragging.

i was merely trying to point out ive gone beyond what others have who exprienced NTLs letters.
So there must be more to it than simply the amount of GB you download.

My 2nd point was about the people who sell DVDS/Music/Games for a living. many of these use cloned Mac address to already get NTLs much vaunted 10mb download.

My deepest apolgys if it seemed like i offended the board, just adding some info.

Dr k
Old 18-08-2005, 17:30   #497
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrK
My deepest apolgys if it seemed like i offended the board, just adding some info.

Dr k
Not offended, I just honestly can't see what people are downloading that would mean they were reaching those sorts of figures

to the site by the way
Old 18-08-2005, 17:41   #498
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

it's really not that hard to download 200GB a month, that is not a brag just a fact, granted for the average user it might be hard but for those who want all the time then they know what to get, where to get it and how.

it's funny, since i got my letter today i think i have downloaded about 20mb, if that, they obviously work hehe.
Old 18-08-2005, 17:48   #499
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis01
it's really not that hard to download 200GB a month, that is not a brag just a fact, granted for the average user it might be hard but for those who want all the time then they know what to get, where to get it and how.
Okaaaaay, I get that.

But what is it that you're downloading?

Don't get me wrong, if I needed to I could probably max my connection out several times over (you're not the only one that knows where to get stuff ), the point is that I don't.

I'm a heavy user, email, internet, messenger, in fact I'm a very heavy user - the only way I could imagine being able to bust the sorts of figures you guys are posting is to spend all day (every day) downloading pr0n, warez, cracked applications, music, etc from p2p sites.

So, what is it you're downloading? If it's all legitimate stuff then where the hell are you getting it and what are you using it for? Where's the need?

I'm prepared to bet that most of the people that spank their connections only do so because they can, accumulating masses of programs that they will never use, and downloading material to which they don't hold the copyright.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel - but you won't hear me complaining that NTL are capping my usage, I know the meaning of the words "moderation", "restraint", and "common sense".
Old 18-08-2005, 17:56   #500
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

everyone seems to forget streaming....

yummy yummy gobbling of bandwidth

Closed Thread