Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 18-08-2005, 14:42   #461
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Oh really?

That sucks, looks like I've no choice but to ditch all my NTL services and go BT (Eclipse or UKonline) & Sky

I'll phone NTL first though to see what they are going to provide for higher bandwidth users such as me. It's terrible timing on NTL's part though, up the speeds (which I couldn't care less about) and start enforcing the cap, looks like it's back to the bad old days of clock watching, the very reason NTL were selling broadband when I signed up 4 years or so ago (when there were no limits whatsoever) (
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2005, 14:56   #462
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Arcade
Oh really?

That sucks, looks like I've no choice but to ditch all my NTL services and go BT (Eclipse or UKonline) & Sky

I'll phone NTL first though to see what they are going to provide for higher bandwidth users such as me. It's terrible timing on NTL's part though, up the speeds (which I couldn't care less about) and start enforcing the cap, looks like it's back to the bad old days of clock watching, the very reason NTL were selling broadband when I signed up 4 years or so ago (when there were no limits whatsoever) (
Nothing wrong with the timing. They said that they would be taking action later in the year. The only things that have really changed is that you will get a higher speed connection and a larger usage allowance. Customers on the 3 Mb service will get more than a threefold increase in speed and an allowance 2.5 times larger than they expected. Good news in my book but some people can never be satisfied.
Old 18-08-2005, 15:07   #463
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
Nothing wrong with the timing. They said that they would be taking action later in the year. The only things that have really changed is that you will get a higher speed connection and a larger usage allowance. Customers on the 3 Mb service will get more than a threefold increase in speed and an allowance 2.5 times larger than they expected. Good news in my book but some people can never be satisfied.
But it is bad timing, at a time when they're announcing about unlimited services, they are now getting rid of heavy users, the ones that would have paid for the unlimited services. I really don't see the point, it would have made much more sense to ask people to calm down for a month or two, while they put the unlimited services in place.
Old 18-08-2005, 15:13   #464
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

ntl Issues Cable Forum a Statement Regarding Their Broadband Usage Allowances:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...age-allowances
Old 18-08-2005, 15:17   #465
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
But it is bad timing, at a time when they're announcing about unlimited services, they are now getting rid of heavy users, the ones that would have paid for the unlimited services. I really don't see the point, it would have made much more sense to ask people to calm down for a month or two, while they put the unlimited services in place.
Unless ntl don't want these heavy users, end of?
Old 18-08-2005, 15:23   #466
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Interesting to see if I get a letter, I got a feeling they will only send to the top few % or just to people who will exceed 75gig. My usage for last 3 months.

August so far - 67.71gig
July - 59 gig
June - 54 gig
Old 18-08-2005, 15:25   #467
orangebird
Inactive

orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Interesting to see if I get a letter, I got a feeling they will only send to the top few % or just to people who will exceed 75gig. My usage for last 3 months.

August so far - 67.71gig
July - 59 gig
June - 54 gig
67 gig and we're only half way through the month???
Old 18-08-2005, 15:26   #468
theNomad
Inactive

Services: NTL-Full TV/512k UNLIMITED
theNomad is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry about the bold text it was cause i cut and pasted the username from the user details.I thought it woulda sorted itself out when i hit reply.

Quote:
Does it not state in the contract small print that it's a capped/ limited service? Or are people not still reading the full details of what they sign these days?
Paul you and NTL should be ashamed at defending such a cheap policy as only telling people in the small print.When theyre still selling packages clearly on the fact its an uncapped service.For most like myself who dont hang around on this cool forum much,we only find out when we get letters telling us about our over use.

We in the UK are so behind other countrys in catching on with learning how to use the net and companys like NTL arnt helping matters with
tactics like that.Its peoples familys like our own theyre lying too.My Mother even bought into it,that said she only surfs webpages so probably will never know shes limited unless she gets her strong glasses out and actually reads the fine print.And why read the small print when they have pleasant sales people telling (lying to) you its not capped
Old 18-08-2005, 15:29   #469
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

dunno bout anybody else, but i would rather have a 5MB connection and no cap than even a 15 or 20MB one with a cap. i was reading that ntl press release, 500GB P/M, thought i was bad, maybe i am but still feel kinda better reading that.
Old 18-08-2005, 15:29   #470
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
67 gig and we're only half way through the month???
Thats higher then what I normally do. But saying that 67 gig on a 2mbit connection isnt massive by today's standards. The line can potentially do 600gig.
Old 18-08-2005, 15:32   #471
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
Thats higher then what I normally do. But saying that 67 gig on a 2mbit connection isnt massive by today's standards. The line can potentially do 600gig.

But it's not about the maximum potential.... What on earth do you need that you've downloaded more than twice the recommended usage in half the time?
Old 18-08-2005, 15:34   #472
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

For those that haven't read it ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl
ntl has issued us a statement today regarding their broadband usage allowances, the statement says, †œAs recently reported on Cable Forum, ntl has announced plans to launch two new broadband product ranges: a) a 10Mb product with a range of usage allowances and b) an unlimited usage product with different speedsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â.
The statement continues to say:-

†œThe unlimited services will be priced the same as existing services.

The company is investing tens of millions of pounds into the network to deliver these new services, adding network capacity and user controls. Customers will be offered the upgrade at no change to the monthly cost. Later this year the first customers to enjoy 10Mb will be ntlââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s current 3Mb customers. Their usage allowance will also increase from 30GB to 75GB.

Currently our 3Mb and 2Mb services feature a 30GB monthly usage allowance, while the 1Mb service features 3GB. We use monthly (rather than daily) allowances so that if a 2Mb customer doesnÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t use the service for a week but then wants to download 5GB in a day, they can.

For the vast majority of our users, usage allowances are not a major consideration, as they get nowhere near their allowance. However we also appreciate that itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s an emotive topic amongst others who want unlimited access. We look forward to offering a set of unlimited services for these customers.

Unfortunately, today there are a very small number of our customers whose usage is so extreme that it is impacting on other customers locally †“ some have consistently topped 500GB per month. This is a severe abuse of our published fair usage policy.

What action are we taking?

We are writing to these customers and will begin formally monitoring their usage for a month. We hope they will move quickly back into the bounds of our fair usage allowance. However if they continue to abuse the service we will write to them again. We will either move them onto a lower speed unlimited service or suspend them. Ultimately, this will depend on upon the degree to which they modify their behaviour.

Why is this important?

All broadband networks are shared and usage guidelines ensure that the performance of the service enjoyed by customers is at a consistently high standard.

Our networks are engineered to meet the needs of standard residential usage; this ensures we can offer affordable prices. In the last few years we have all seen strides in the affordability of broadband, but with this comes greater difficulty in sustaining the extreme users who abuse the Usage Allowance day after day.

We want to be up front and reassure our broadband customers about this. Weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re writing to a very small number of users. Needless to say, we hope they take our message seriously and change their usage.

ntl User Policy and our Terms & Conditions are available at http://www.ntlworld.com/termsconditions.â₠
Old 18-08-2005, 15:38   #473
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

This will up set a few people but those who constantly down load 500gigs a month should be banned they are totally absuing the network and stopping other users getting the bandwidth that they pay for

(Am I right in thinking that if I have somebody down my street that has a 1 meg connection on 24/7 downloading 500gigs a month my 3 meg connectiong would suffer ie a lower speed)
Old 18-08-2005, 15:41   #474
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
But it's not about the maximum potential.... What on earth do you need that you've downloaded more than twice the recommended usage in half the time?
What do you care??!!

If he'd watched double the amount of television in half the time as recommended you wouldn't care, I fail to see what HE uses HIS connection for matters. In the same way I don't care what you use yours for.

I don't care even if my neigbours connection affects mine, it's a contended connection and it's fairly cheap because of that, I can't afford a 1:1 connection so I have to put up with the fact that other people's usage affects mine, as mine does theirs. I don't CARE what my next door neigbour DOES with his connection, it's none of my business.
Old 18-08-2005, 15:43   #475
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Not at liberty to say, I will say tho a fair portion of it is tv eps and movies, about 20 gig is what you would consider legit use. No point in lying. However I dont use p2p apps so my upload is empty and I am not one to download for the sake of it, I will only download what I will use.
Old 18-08-2005, 15:45   #476
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
What do you care??!!

If he'd watched double the amount of television in half the time as recommended you wouldn't care, I fail to see what HE uses HIS connection for matters. In the same way I don't care what you use yours for.

I don't care even if my neigbours connection affects mine, it's a contended connection and it's fairly cheap because of that, I can't afford a 1:1 connection so I have to put up with the fact that other people usage affects mine, as mine does theirs. I don't CARE what my next door neigbour DOES with his connection, it's none of my business.

Good for you. However, I wasn't interested in what you had to say.

Chrysalis?

Quote:
Not at liberty to say, I will say tho a fair portion of it is tv eps and movies, about 20 gig is what you would consider legit use. No point in lying. However I dont use p2p apps so my upload is empty and I am not one to download for the sake of it, I will only download what I will use.
<radical thought mode> Do you not have a TV that you can watch TV on... ?
Old 18-08-2005, 15:46   #477
Skaara
Inactive

Skaara is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Chrysalis?

You sure do live upto your title don't you orangebird
Old 18-08-2005, 15:48   #478
PC_Arcade
Inactive

Quote:

Chrysalis?

If you didn't want any one else to respond, then perhaps not posting on a public board would be more sensible, private messaging would be a more suitable means of communication.
Old 18-08-2005, 15:54   #479
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaara
You sure do live upto your title don't you orangebird
I'm not one to pretend. Or disappoint

Quote:
If you didn't want any one else to respond, then perhaps not posting on a public board would be more sensible, private messaging would be a more suitable means of communication.

I thought replying to and quoting Chrysalis would've given a clue as to whom I was asking the question. Silly me
Old 18-08-2005, 15:55   #480
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Quote:
What do you care??!!

I don't care even if my neigbours connection affects mine, it's a contended connection and it's fairly cheap because of that, I can't afford a 1:1 connection so I have to put up with the fact that other people's usage affects mine, as mine does theirs. I don't CARE what my next door neigbour DOES with his connection, it's none of my business.
Err, doesn't Chrysalis make it OB's business how much he or she downloads when he or she puts it in a public forum? People are fairly free to post what they want here, but they must expect to be questioned by other forum users.
Closed Thread