Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 21-06-2005, 23:31   #381
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purenuman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
How do you know what NTL are planning?
Because they [NTL] have said 1mb will be hard capped later in the year and 2mb & 3mb will still be as is.......
That all depends on how you interpret NTL's comments.

You do not KNOW what NTL's plans are at this moment in time so it is wrong to suggest that you do. All aspects of NTL's usage policy are subject to change at any time dependent on what capabilities they have and what the competition is doing. There may be people looking at this thread who decide to tie themselves into a 12 month contract based on the belief that what you posted was fact.
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2005, 00:02   #382
purenuman
Inactive

Services: SKY+ & NTL 2mb
purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
That all depends on how you interpret NTL's comments.

You do not KNOW what NTL's plans are at this moment in time......
Yes I do

Quote:
There may be people looking at this thread who decide to tie themselves into a 12 month contract based on the belief that what you posted was fact.
Just assuming for a moment that I was right.......

Things could still change and 2mb & 3mb could end up with hard caps, it's not my fault if things change....... That is why I always say "unless things change" or similar..... Are you saying nobody should post any info ever in case things change??

The fact is that NTL are only planning a hard cap for 1mb later in the year, this may well change but until it does I will post as I have.
Old 22-06-2005, 00:54   #383
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I wonder if the days of capping issues, certainly at ntl's user policy levels, might be becoming superflous...

24 Mbps broadband in the UK will knock the plans and network limitation s of all ISPs models into touch:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm...ews=4832&email
Old 24-06-2005, 19:01   #384
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts
I wonder if the days of capping issues, certainly at ntl's user policy levels, might be becoming superflous...

24 Mbps broadband in the UK will knock the plans and network limitation s of all ISPs models into touch:

freedom2surf avalable with 2gb 10gb and 100gb caps

ROFLAMO at the lite option 2gb cap on 8mbit youd use that in minutes! whats the point of a 'lite' option @8mbit
Old 24-06-2005, 19:21   #385
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts

I don't regard Freedom 2 Surf as any authority on these matters, especially considering they are taking their service wholesale from Easynet using their wholesale product LLUStream. 'Pole Position' my arse they will get what Easynet / BT give them and like it to be honest.

Network limitations will become very apparent with the increased speeds, especially local network limitations, and these will be compensated for through capping and traffic shaping. Anyone expecting an unlimited and unfettered 24Mbps service for the £20 or so one can get 1Mbps for now without severe restrictions is in fantasy land, as apparently are F2S. Bandwidth doesn't drop in price that quickly, and LLUStream isn't that much cheaper than BT's wholesale offerings.

Certainly the caps will have to change, though I'd expect them to anyway, however we'll see how people enjoy traffic shaped services.
Old 24-06-2005, 19:25   #386
mrlipring
Inactive

Services: PCI DVB-T Freeview NTL Digital NTL 3mbit NTL phone
mrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon
freedom2surf avalable with 2gb 10gb and 100gb caps

ROFLAMO at the lite option 2gb cap on 8mbit youd use that in minutes! whats the point of a 'lite' option @8mbit
for people who don't need to download a lot, but need it quickly? I'd rather there more options, tbh. At the mo with NTL (i know it's not enforced) you've got slow and a tiny cap, medium speed and a less tiny but still pathetic cap, and fast with a less tiny but still pathetic cap.

Personally, 100GB would be way too low, but it's a start. It's certainly better than 30GB. I know i'd rather have 8Mbit with a 30GB cap than 3Mbit with a 30GB cap. I'd even pay a little extra for it. I would, however, given the choice, move to an isp with an unlimited connection at 3Mbit, rather than a limited one at 8Mbit.

I don't MIND waiting a little longer for stuff to fall down my pipe, but i DO mind having a capped service, especially when others are getting it free, and especially especially when business accounts aren't much more money and are unlimited during office hours, and especially especially ESPECIALLY because mine isn't working right now. But that's another issue.
Old 25-06-2005, 04:06   #387
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

alot of especially's but some good points raised, as NTL tend to only look at what BT offer I wouldnt expect much change unless BT react.
Old 25-06-2005, 05:49   #388
mrlipring
Inactive

mrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud ofmrlipring has much to be proud of

Well, BT are the biggest DSL competitor, but yeah, it's rather blinkered and convenient to only compare themselves to BT.
Old 25-06-2005, 11:12   #389
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlipring
<snip>
You know as well as I do that the cap isn't enforced, if it were you'd be off for a start, even with your connection's reliability being a bit dicey I'm quite sure you're managing considerably over the 1GB/day in both directions!
Old 25-06-2005, 15:18   #390
mrlipring
Inactive

who, me? :P
Old 04-07-2005, 11:55   #391
IceColdMan
Inactive

IceColdMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so the Cap for broadband are not actually running at the moment, ahh maybe thats why I am sitll on the 1Mb connection when I have downloaded 9.06Gb in the month a June, and all I was going was playing games and surfing the web, hmmm I hope this doesnt hurt my gaming now.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:57   #392
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

... and you came on here to brag about it ... why
Old 04-07-2005, 12:01   #393
IceColdMan
Inactive

I didnt come to brag about it, I wanted to find out if I play online games will this effect the cap or is it only downloading big things off the inter, why you think I was bragging?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:08   #394
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdMan
I didnt come to brag about it, I wanted to find out if I play online games will this effect the cap or is it only downloading big things off the inter, why you think I was bragging?
If you are downloading 9Gb a month (whatever the cause), the cap will affect you.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10   #395
IceColdMan
Inactive

Ok thanks, hmm does anyone know when the cap is going to be coming into effect us?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:15   #396
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
If you are downloading 9Gb a month (whatever the cause), the cap will affect you.
In addition to what Scastle said, if you are affecting other people's service around you then ntl may want to remind you that you agreed to a 3GB agreement and may request you to curb your usage or advise you to take up a higher service speed tier which would be more suitable to your gaming needs.
Old 04-07-2005, 15:17   #397
mrlipring
Inactive

I can't see downloading anything less than 30GB a month affecting anyone's service. They wouldn't install a fatter pipe if he was to upgrade to 2mbit, would they?

If it WAS affecting the neighbours, how would him paying the extra for 2mbit or 3mbit help this? surely he could download 3 times this amount, stick to the t&c, and ntl wouldn't be able to moan?
Old 04-07-2005, 15:25   #398
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Affecting other people's service isn't even an issue, when you take the upgrade to 1Mbit on the lower price you agree to the 3GB/month limit.
Old 04-07-2005, 21:09   #399
mrlipring
Inactive

my point still stands though, surely?
Old 04-07-2005, 22:26   #400
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I guess the answer is if a user is warned one of the following happens.

1 - It serves as a detterent the user doesnt upgrade the usage drops to a level that doesnt affect other users.
2 - The user upgrades and NTL then make a different judgement call on upgrading the UBR due to the increased income of the user.
3 - The user upgrades but the congestion remains.

To be fair to NTL I think the worst ubr's are currently been upgraded to remove the contention issues.
Closed Thread