Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does anyone have a portable air conditioner here?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Does anyone have a portable air conditioner here?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:23   #16
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: Does anyone have a portable air conditioner here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
The one from Lidl says 785 Watts
They're a bit slim on other details like hose requirements, BTU's etc. Mrs G is sending me down on Thursday with a view to picking up a couple of them (when I used to use the office I had to open the window, since she booted me out we need air conditioning!!).
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2022, 10:13   #17
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Used a 12000 BTU in the bedroom and it was a dream. Died two years two days later, just outside of its warranty which is typical and of course just as it got hot here again.

You really do need to vent the hot exhaust air or they are pointless imo. They do different types of adapters for different styles of windows. Some use velcro to stick on just to cover the gaps so your cold air doesn't escape. There will be an adapter or solution for your type of windows.

Also worth noting that to get the best benefit of them you should close doors so they can chill a room properly or you will never get proper low temperatures.
How much less effective are they if the seal isn't great? The set up of my windows isn't ideal and due to how high up the window would pull on the seal pretty badly.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:04   #18
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Aren't air conditioners a little expensive to run now - they must use a fair bit of electric ?
Yes. Years ago, I bought a Air cooler, it has a tank you fill with cold water, I used to fill a 2 Ltr bottle and put it in the fridge, you also get these flat packs with fluid in them that you place in freezer, then once frozen, placed in the water tank. It was effective for a short time, brought the room temps down a couple of degrees and the air blasting out was a lot colder than a normal fan. They’re also economically sound, than an Air Conditioner and a bit more quieter.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:14   #19
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
The one from Lidl says 785 Watts
3-in-1: cools, dehumidifies or fans
Temperature adjustable from 16 to 31°C
Suitable for rooms up to 60m3
24 hour timer function with digital timer switch
Dehumidifier function up to 50ml/hour (room 30°C / 80% rH)
With room thermostat
Removable air filter
Display with soft touch controls
Wheels make it easy to manoeuvre
Includes 1.5m exhaust hose and removable air filter
Including weatherstripping for bottom hung windows and 1.5m drain hose with hose connection (Hot Air Stop)
Remote control included
Cooling capacity: 7,000BTU (2kW)
Water tank capacity: 0.5L
Oscillation angle: 30-150°
Energy efficiency class A
Noise level: 65dB (A)
Rated power: 785W
Size: W39 x H69 x D33cm
2 fan speeds
Airflow: 320m3/hour
Weight: 22.5kg
Cable length: 1.8m
Coolant: R290, 140g
IP rating: IP20
3-year warranty

About 6-6.5 kwh for 8 hrs sleep not sure what a kwh costs mine is 27.44 p =£1.65 + per night i think[assuming it's on cooling cycle constantly]

Last edited by papa smurf; 12-07-2022 at 12:24.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 17:56   #20
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
How much less effective are they if the seal isn't great? The set up of my windows isn't ideal and due to how high up the window would pull on the seal pretty badly.
If its not a perfect seal but no big holes it works great but if there is a tennis ball sized gap for example, it would still cool but not as fast and not quite as cold. Maybe two or three degrees difference.

Just think of it as the cold air escaping out through that gap and warm air getting in through it. I tried mine in another room where I couldn't get a perfect seal with the adapter so I literally cut up a plastic bag and taped it to cover the gap, more because it was playing on my mind that it could be working better More OCD and wanting it perfect than it not being cold enough.

The 8 to 12k BTU ones when I checked back when I got mine working out about 28 to 32p an hour roughly. A bit more with the new energy rates but when you go to bed but ultimately I think its worth the few quid to get a good nights sleep

Here is a video of the LIDL one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQ4oRPzL_w

Last edited by Qtx; 12-07-2022 at 18:00.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 11:56   #21
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Picked up one of the Lidl air cons this morning and its pretty good despite it size.

Takes a few minutes to start blowing really cold air compared to my AMCOR 12000 BTU one which was cold after about 30 seconds but it gets there and its a fair bit quieter.

They give you plenty of velcro so you can put it around a couple of windows in case you move the machine.

Something I didn't consider before is my other aircon unit had its vents on top and this has vents at the front which is so much better. The upward venting one cooled the room but you didn't get the benefit of the coolness blowing on you like the front facing one unless you stood over it.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 17:20   #22
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Well, after Damien started this thread, it got me thinking, I am really not looking forward to sweltering over next few days. These are Las Vegas type temperatures and they have Air Con. I’ve took the plunge and upgraded my Air cooler to an Air Con unit. 5,000 BTU equivalent to 1.5KW power. Bought it from B&Q yesterday and also bought window sealing kit from Argos. Have to say suitably impressed. It’s not that demanding on the electric either.

Uses 0.565 KW/H. Have included pics of the setup and window seal.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote