Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming the future - don't make me laugh

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming the future - don't make me laugh

Old 15-11-2020, 14:30   #16
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Streaming the future - don't make me laugh

Amazons sports streams seem to vary wildly, even yesterday the Italy-Scotland game seemed to at best 720P with a low 25 fps framerate, whilst the England-Georgia game looked to be 1080p@50 fps.
This may have been because they were reliant on an Italian broadcaster for the former game but were the host broadcaster for the latter one, however there was a marked difference between the two.

With their Premier League broadcasts last season their output for the games in December that they had contracted for was very good, and imho better than their rivals (this of course also depends on the equipment you're watching on), but there was a noticeable lower quality in the extra games they were given in Project Restart.

There are always going to be delay issues between various broadcast mediums, even amongst traditional mediums, if you watch a game or event in SD it will be ahead of its HD variant which will in turn be ahead of its UHD compatriot.

Internet delivered streams are in my experience 20-30 seconds behind their broadcast equivalents but I have a simple solution to that, watch the game or event instead of your phone!!
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2020, 19:07   #17
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Amazons sports streams seem to vary wildly, even yesterday the Italy-Scotland game seemed to at best 720P with a low 25 fps framerate, whilst the England-Georgia game looked to be 1080p@50 fps.
This may have been because they were reliant on an Italian broadcaster for the former game but were the host broadcaster for the latter one, however there was a marked difference between the two.

With their Premier League broadcasts last season their output for the games in December that they had contracted for was very good, and imho better than their rivals (this of course also depends on the equipment you're watching on), but there was a noticeable lower quality in the extra games they were given in Project Restart.

There are always going to be delay issues between various broadcast mediums, even amongst traditional mediums, if you watch a game or event in SD it will be ahead of its HD variant which will in turn be ahead of its UHD compatriot.

Internet delivered streams are in my experience 20-30 seconds behind their broadcast equivalents but I have a simple solution to that, watch the game or event instead of your phone!!
Agreed, England game was better PQ but still not up to Sky a Sports HD standard.

I'm not worried about the stream being a little behind live as normally I watch everything at least 20 mins behind on linear to channels by recording them (allows me to skip the half-time waffle)

Didn't have it for last seasons EPL so will be interested to see how that compares - I will bear your point about the extra games being worse quality PQ in mind.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 19:20   #18
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Glad this wasn't just me who is unimpressed with the Autumn Cup on AP, all for similar reasons.

With my rugby hat on, it is strange times with the TV rights though... all the main TV contracts are up for renewal next season, and it's the first time the "November internationals" have been bundled together collectively... for a tournament that hopefully won't be repeated.

I dare say there's an element of testing-the-water about it, mixed in with lack of interest from other broadcasters.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote