Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2019, 10:37   #841
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I certainly did not!
Ok, I accept that you didn't mean it as I took it, sorry.

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Content creators, be they big TV production companies, songwriters or authors, don't like others taking credit for their work. If the Harry Potter novels were published in other countries with another author's name on the book cover, no matter if JK Rowling was getting her fair cut of profits I'm sure she wouldn't be happy about it.

It's one thing with calling something Exclusive, customers understand that wording, it's rarely used in a completely misleading way. I have no problem with that word.

"Original" however is taking credit, and suggests ultimate sole responsibility, and that's not OK for an import, or a co-production. It's deceiving their customers. It's like Waterstones acting like the books they sell they had a creative hand or they were responsible for discovering/nurturing the author rather than the publisher/agent.
Are they perhaps calling them Netflix Originals because they commissioned the work? I don't know, but I have not heard the creators moan about this, so I assume they are not that unhappy about it.

Although it has struck a chord with some of you on this forum, I don't expect most people really care. They see the show is only on that platform and decide accordingly. It is up to the creators to object if they don't like the term. The rest of us can sleep easy in our beds.
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2019, 16:47   #842
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Star Trek Discovery has “a Netflix original series” in its opening credits. They didn’t commission it, nor did they have any creative input. They’ve simply acquired exclusive rights to distribute it outside the USA.
Old 22-05-2019, 17:13   #843
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I suspect the reason many people don't care, is simply because they don't know. Yes, there are many that would still probably shrug and move on if the issue was made clear, either because they either don't understand or don't care.

And even the creators may only be aware of how their show is marketed in their own country, again it's a case of them not knowing.

If the likes of Netflix and Amazon commission the show, I have no problem with the term Original, so long as it's not a joint commission. They have to be the sole commissioning party to use the term in my opinion. I wish they'd just use Exclusive.

I suppose part of the reason it is an issue for me is I'm currently working on multiple writing projects, and though many of them are intended to be books, I am looking at them from a TV/film adaptation standpoint as I go. And I know it would annoy me as the creator.
Old 22-05-2019, 21:01   #844
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Star Trek Discovery has “a Netflix original series” in its opening credits. They didn’t commission it, nor did they have any creative input. They’ve simply acquired exclusive rights to distribute it outside the USA.
None of us are privy to the contracts, but how do we know that without Netflix purchasing overseas rights to Discovery the project would even have been viable?
They may not have commissioned the show but their money probably helped bring it to our screens.

Quote:
I suspect the reason many people don't care, is simply because they don't know. Yes, there are many that would still probably shrug and move on if the issue was made clear, either because they either don't understand or don't care.

And even the creators may only be aware of how their show is marketed in their own country, again it's a case of them not knowing.

If the likes of Netflix and Amazon commission the show, I have no problem with the term Original, so long as it's not a joint commission. They have to be the sole commissioning party to use the term in my opinion. I wish they'd just use Exclusive.

I suppose part of the reason it is an issue for me is I'm currently working on multiple writing projects, and though many of them are intended to be books, I am looking at them from a TV/film adaptation standpoint as I go. And I know it would annoy me as the creator.
If one of your projects were to be picked up for TV or movie adaptation and as long as you were fully credited on screen and fully paid to all you would be entitled to would you have an objection if that adaptation was only a viable profitable project because overseas investors picked up the secondary rights and insisted on saying it was one of their originals where they were showing it?
Old 22-05-2019, 22:05   #845
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
If one of your projects were to be picked up for TV or movie adaptation and as long as you were fully credited on screen and fully paid to all you would be entitled to would you have an objection if that adaptation was only a viable profitable project because overseas investors picked up the secondary rights and insisted on saying it was one of their originals where they were showing it?
Yes. It would annoy me.

But realistically I'm not likely to be in that situation, very few authors get adaptations, many barely make a living at it. But who knows, if it it ever happened I may be old and needing to fund a nursing home.
Old 23-05-2019, 00:36   #846
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Talking of Star Trek, the new Picard show will appear on Amazon Prime when it launches, that is a surprise. I would have thought that CBS would want the show on its own streamer.
Old 23-05-2019, 00:49   #847
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Talking of Star Trek, the new Picard show will appear on Amazon Prime when it launches, that is a surprise. I would have thought that CBS would want the show on its own streamer.
Is it going to be on Amazon in the US? I'd have thought it would be like ST: Discovery and the one place where it's different, and therefore on CBS All Access.
Old 23-05-2019, 01:30   #848
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Is it going to be on Amazon in the US? I'd have thought it would be like ST: Discovery and the one place where it's different, and therefore on CBS All Access.
Exclusively on CBS All Access in the US, Space Channel in Canada and Amazon elsewhere.

Quote:
Pinned Tweet
Star Trek
‏Verified account @StarTrek
May 15

#StarTrek: Picard will stream exclusively on @CBSAllAccess in the United States, on Amazon #PrimeVideo in more than 200 countries and territories and in Canada on Bell Media’s @SpaceChannel and OTT service @CraveCanada. @StarTrekCBS @primevideouk http://bit.ly/STPicardTitle
Old 23-05-2019, 12:01   #849
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
None of us are privy to the contracts, but how do we know that without Netflix purchasing overseas rights to Discovery the project would even have been viable?
They may not have commissioned the show but their money probably helped bring it to our screens.
Overseas sales doubtless helped make the business case but that isn’t how production credits work in the industry. In any case, CBS turned down lucrative offers from Amazon and Netflix for exclusive global distribution in favour of using the show to raise the profile of their new streaming service in the USA. Netflix distributed the show in many other territories but not in the US or Canada.

The show was commissioned by CBS and bankrolled by them. Wherever they anticipated getting a return from it, the investment and the risk was theirs. Netflix is bending the truth slightly by calling it a Netflix Original Series. It is a Netflix exclusive, certainly, in the territories where they distribute it, but the terminology they have elected to use would more commonly be used of an actual production partner, which they are not (they would be in the actual end credits alongside all the other production companies and service providers if that was the case, and they aren’t - their credit is spliced onto the very beginning of the stream).
Old 23-05-2019, 14:55   #850
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

A quick search gets this FYI:

What is a Netflix Original?

A “Netflix Original” is defined by the status Netflix gives to the show. This may be defined by the following:
  • Netflix commissioned and produced the show
  • Netflix has exclusive international streaming rights to the show
  • Netflix has co-produced the show with another Network
  • It is a continuation of a previously cancelled show
In most cases, a show is defined as a “Netflix Original” if you can only watch it on Netflix in your respective country.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/new...lix-originals/
Old 23-05-2019, 14:58   #851
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Yup, that’s what I understand it to mean - but I think they chose that terminology to imply they are perhaps more active in commissioning and producing content than they really are.
Old 23-05-2019, 15:03   #852
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yup, that’s what I understand it to mean - but I think they chose that terminology to imply they are perhaps more active in commissioning and producing content than they really are.
Exactly.
Old 23-05-2019, 15:52   #853
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

At some point Netflix will lose whole swathes of content as the media cos pull their stuff off the service and stick it onto their own services.

I suppose from Netflix's point of view, it has helped to quell the numbers by using this originals term, as it does give the impression that Netflix make a lot more content than what at first may seem obvious. But, if the end result is the same and the only place you can watch certain shows is on Netflix, regardless of whether they make them or not, I guess it doesn't really matter in the end what they label their stuff as.
Old 27-05-2019, 18:45   #854
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

ITV and the BBC are in a face-off over their joint streaming service BritBox, as the UK broadcasters’ differing priorities threaten their united front against the likes of Netflix.

Negotiations between the country’s two biggest TV groups have grown tense, according to several people with knowledge of the matter, with commercial network ITV committing more fully to the subscription service than the publicly funded BBC.

Only ITV has pledged funding for the project, agreeing to invest £65m to the end of 2020.

https://www.ft.com/content/afe11a6a-...2-f785092ab560

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

I didn't realise the article was behind a pay wall (it isn't on my phone) so here is the rest of it:

The BBC, meanwhile, appears to be prioritising its proprietary platform, seeking a rule change that would extend programme availability on its iPlayer service to a year after initial broadcast from the current level of 30 days. If successful, BBC content would be available for free via iPlayer for 12 months before moving to paid service BritBox.

One person close to the negotiations said ITV chief executive Carolyn McCall had “played hardball” with BBC director-general Tony Hall, telling him she would oppose the BBC’s request to media watchdog Ofcom “unless you back my project”.

ITV said it would not comment on ongoing negotiations. The BBC said both parties were working well together and were committed to the project.

But one senior BBC executive, while acknowledging the tie-up was “definitely not a forced marriage”, said “whether it will be a successful collaboration can be debated”.

The platform, which is already operating in the US where it has more than half a million subscribers, is crucial to ITV. Advertisers are following audiences online and the broadcaster’s own streaming service ITV Hub has not proved as popular as the iPlayer. The company’s market value has dropped more than a third over the past 12 months to its lowest level in six years.

Three months after Dame Carolyn said ITV was in “the concluding stage of discussions” with the BBC to launch the platform in the UK this year, touting the opportunity given the commercial broadcaster’s 1 per cent share of the country’s £6.3bn pay-TV market, no further details have been released.

Some senior insiders remain sceptical that BritBox, with only ITV’s £65m in funding, can make an impact in the era of Netflix, a company expected to spend £11.5bn on content globally this year alone that has ambitions to become a “champion of British content, talent and storytelling”.

One person close to the BritBox negotiations said there was “no way” the platform “was going to be in the same league as any of the existing streaming services”.

“It is not going to make a material difference in terms of revenues and it is not going to save the public service broadcasters, because they have very low expectations,” the person said.

Channel 4 and Channel 5, the UK’s other PSBs, said they were in “constructive discussions” with ITV on their participation in BritBox.

ITV rejected claims that enthusiasm for the streaming service was low, saying the company remained on track to deliver it in the second half of the year.

“Both ITV and the BBC believe BritBox will become a success,” the company said.

Claire Enders of Enders Analysis believes proposed advertising restrictions on unhealthy foods and pressure on the BBC to waive licence fees for the elderly mean the BBC, along with the country’s other public service broadcasters Channel 4 and Channel 5, are unlikely to pay.

The uncertainty comes at a bad time for ITV, which is facing reputational and regulatory risks over some of its programming. Dame Carolyn last week cancelled The Jeremy Kyle Show, ITV’s most popular daytime programme, after a recent guest died. That death, which followed the confirmed and suspected suicides in the past year of two former contestants in primetime hit Love Island, has prompted Ofcom scrutiny, while MPs have pledged to investigate the broader impact of reality TV.

But certain observers believe scepticism over BritBox may be misplaced.

“I can see it from the standpoint of the media elite in London, who would not watch Coronation Street if they were paid to,” said Ian Whittaker, analyst at Liberum. But there will be a demand for this product among the general population. There are people who do not want Netflix.”
Old 27-05-2019, 18:59   #855
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Project Kangaroo 2....