Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 17-05-2018, 13:41   #4276
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Clear Proof seems to be in very short supply generally of late OB.
How can you have clear proof of the future, Den?

Just askin'.....
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2018, 13:49   #4277
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
How can you have clear proof of the future, Den?

Just askin'.....
No one can accurately predict the future but thus so far your predictions have generally sailed well off course.
Old 17-05-2018, 17:53   #4278
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No one can accurately predict the future but thus so far your predictions have generally sailed well off course.
I don't think so, Den, given that my predictions for the future are still based on 15-20 years' time, and recently the BBC have announced that they are preparing for just that.

There's only one notable mistake I am aware that I made, a few years ago, so I'm not sure to what you are referring.
Old 18-05-2018, 17:33   #4279
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I don't think so, Den, given that my predictions for the future are still based on 15-20 years' time, and recently the BBC have announced that they are preparing for just that.

There's only one notable mistake I am aware that I made, a few years ago, so I'm not sure to what you are referring.
Just to clarify ... is the notable mistake you’re admitting, the one where you predicted (3 years ago) the end of linear broadcast TV within 10 years, or the one where you claimed that it’s possible to provide sports coverage “live on demand”?
Old 18-05-2018, 18:23   #4280
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I think they should ditch the +1's, move toward a smaller selection of HD/4K live programming for sports and events and keep the rest as programme portfolios / box sets organized by rights holder (e.g. Amazon / Netflix / BBC etc) and searchable from the main interface.
Old 18-05-2018, 18:55   #4281
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Just to clarify ... is the notable mistake you’re admitting, the one where you predicted (3 years ago) the end of linear broadcast TV within 10 years, or the one where you claimed that it’s possible to provide sports coverage “live on demand”?
You are being pedantic, Chris. Most people outside this forum don't have a clue what the difference is between streaming and on demand. As far as public perception is concerned, they are one and the same thing.

I kind of apologise for any confusion I might have created, but I was not addressing the technophobes!

No, I was referring to my assertion that Sky Atlantic was coming to VM. It was true, but not in the timeframe I expected. Sky Atlantic should indeed appear on VM screens either this year or early next.
Old 18-05-2018, 23:04   #4282
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
This isn't the Brexit thread, Old Boy, but I appreciate your honesty.
Old 19-05-2018, 09:14   #4283
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
I think they should ditch the +1's, move toward a smaller selection of HD/4K live programming for sports and events
Why?
Old 19-05-2018, 10:14   #4284
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

Oh dear; 'Bilderberg Boy' is back!
Old 19-05-2018, 10:21   #4285
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Why?

Surely record ability and on-demand means +1 channels are redundant?
Old 19-05-2018, 10:23   #4286
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Brexit means Brexit, Andrew. Some facts are just undeniable.
Old 19-05-2018, 10:29   #4287
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
This is the reasoning. Also, most content could be viewed on demand, except for live events.

I´d keep news channels, sports and events as live TV and use the rest of the bandwidth for broadband.
Old 19-05-2018, 10:31   #4288
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
You would have thought so, Raider. I only found +1 channels useful when all my tuners were allocated and I needed to record a fourth programme.

That is no longer necessary with the V6.

Amazingly, there are still those who channel hop to find programmes, which I have found an inefficient and frustrating experience whenever I tried it some years back.

With so many tuners and with on demand and streaming services in abundance, I do believe that +1 channels have served their purpose - they've had their day.
Old 19-05-2018, 10:49   #4289
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
You would have thought so, Raider. I only found +1 channels useful when all my tuners were allocated and I needed to record a fourth programme.

That is no longer necessary with the V6.

Amazingly, there are still those who channel hop to find programmes, which I have found an inefficient and frustrating experience whenever I tried it some years back.

With so many tuners and with on demand and streaming services in abundance, I do believe that +1 channels have served their purpose - they've had their day.
Not in my opinion OB.
Old 19-05-2018, 12:07   #4290
Onramp
Inactive

I guess there are people out there that would want to record 6 channels and watch catchup on a 7th, but really, how often would that happen in practice? Bandwidth on cable for broadcast is at a premium. I think +1s, while originally a nice concept, are now just a waste of space.

Given the option, an individual subscriber could theoretically choose channels that they want to ¨+1-ify¨ by using some of their free tuners to fill a temporary area of their box with 1 hour old content. Then you could even choose to make a particular channel a +2 if you wanted.
Closed Thread