Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to get Inherited control of C: drive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

How to get Inherited control of C: drive

Old 10-01-2019, 09:38   #1
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point
How to get Inherited control of C: drive

Hi All
On my PC I had the GANDCRAB-Ransomeware 5.0.4-(nlkui-Decryptor)--NO CURE!
So I have Reformatted hard drive n installed Win 7 Pro at least 9 times now. Even using a New 500GB SSD. But I still find that my C: drive is "not inherited" and I have tried the usual but still can't Inherit my drive.
Been told it does not reside in Memory or Bios, but I'm beginning to think otherwise...I don't want to reset or Clear the Bios at moment as I can not find my Drivers CD and I need it when reinstalling Windows as I need to install the AHCI drivers n XMP drivers..All internal drives unplugged, + Ethernet cable unplugged.

When I do try to Inherit my drive/s it goes through the sequence but then comes up with errors in parts of the Windows files, so will not do it. Also my Recycle Bin pops up with Errors. So I then know this Ruddy Ransomeware is probably either in Memory or Bios. Can't think of anything else as normall a Format n Reinstal normally sorts things out..Be CAREFUL out there as this Ransomware is a KILLER. and goes from C: to ALL Internal drives n any external that is open at the time..Because I did not know what it was at the time, I was using a Pen Drive n darn thing is now in this Windows 10 PC n my Laptop...Sick as a Pig I am....Never a problem in 15 years except for maybe a Malware of which is easy to get rid of. Happy New Year (Duh!)
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2019, 16:15   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: How to get Inherited control of C: drive

I have no idea what you are trying to do.
What do you mean by "inherit your drive".

Ive been installing windows for over 30 years and never inherited a drive

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 16:41   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Isn't it the inherited permissions on the user access control lists on the NTFS drive.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-permissions-explicit.htm
Quote:
Each permission that exists can be assigned one of two ways: explicitly or by inheritance. For this reason, permissions are referred to as explicit permissions and inherited permissions.

Explicit permissions are permissions that are set by default when the object is created, or by user action.
Inherited permissions are permissions that are given to an object because it is a child of a parent object.
I've think I've seen that sort of error on Windows before where the user accounts have been corrupted and the account that has the permissions for a folder is broken.

Never seen it at the system drive level though, so not sure if this advice helps:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-68b599b31bf5

Last edited by BenMcr; 10-01-2019 at 16:39.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 16:47   #4
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

I dont see how inheritance would affect a cleanly formatted drive... it would be the default permissions assigned by reinstalling the OS. Unless the OP is trying to lay some sort of backup down ?

Paul is right more info needed to provide assistance.
Old 10-01-2019, 18:36   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Full format or just a quick format? The first should completely redo the drive whereas the second may not erase all old information.
Old 10-01-2019, 23:56   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Isn't it the inherited permissions on the user access control lists on the NTFS drive.
Possibly, but a drive (root) must have explicit permissions set, it cannot inherit from anywhere.

After that, any folders and file will inherit those permissions, unless you set explicit permissions further into the directory tree.

"inherit a drive" just makes no sense.

Old 11-01-2019, 00:43   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Possibly, but a drive (root) must have explicit permissions set, it cannot inherit from anywhere.

After that, any folders and file will inherit those permissions, unless you set explicit permissions further into the directory tree.

"inherit a drive" just makes no sense.
It does if the drive has come from another PC and you wish to copy files from it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 17:22   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Aside from your usual "argue with anything I say", I have no idea what your point is.
Your screenshot shows exactly what I just said, the root of the drive cannot inherit as it has nowhere to inherit from.

Old 13-01-2019, 19:23   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
It does if the drive has come from another PC and you wish to copy files from it.
As far as Windows is concerned, those permissions are not inherited. They are explicitly set by Windows on the other PC.

As far as Windows is concerned, permissions can only be inherited from the parent folder (even the root of a drive is a folder) of a given file or folder.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 04:31   #10
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

Well all my 5 drives in my Tower have exactly what it says in that image above that pip posted..An old 128gb ssd & the 248gb & a New 500gb ssd say the same thing. The 128gb was Full Formatted and was shredded. I find it strange as it use to say C: Inherited etc. I was told the other day not to Worry about it as quite a few I checked with on Facebook n camera club have the same. (not inherited)..Computer shop says they should be Inherited....Go Figure..It says
Allow---Authenticated Users--Full Control---not inherited. Plus the System,& Administrators. Does NOT say C: or F: or G: as in my Windows 10 pc.

---------- Post added at 03:31 ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 ----------

THANKS Stuart...I shall stop worrying about it...lol
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote