Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New UI images

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New UI images

Old 18-12-2019, 17:20   #16
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New UI images

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
It'll be V6 only. The old hardware won't be fast enough. They'll be wanting to phase out the old Tivo hardware at some point. It's cheaper and easier to run, the fewer differences in hardware there are.

The main reason to keep the old Tivo going at the moment is that it has its own dedicated internet connection, whereas you need to have broadband with VM for the V6. They don't have a TV product for people that don't have/want internet without the old box.
Thank you for clarification. Just out of interest, will this be a new OS/platform or the same UI as Horizon but still based on TiVo software?
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2019, 17:52   #17
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
Thank you for clarification. Just out of interest, will this be a new OS/platform or the same UI as Horizon but still based on TiVo software?
I don't know, but I believe it's basically Horizon, but with additional functionality that the Tivo software has, so that features aren't lost. Tivo, I believe, own patents for various types of functionality that other companies pay to use in their systems. And I think I read VM or Liberty Global licensed these when they renewed their Tivo deal fairly recently (i.e. the last year or two).

I'm sure someone can clarify, confirm and/or correct this.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 08:39   #18
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

I think they will still use TiVo services like wish lists Etc in the backend system. Sky actually use TiVo for Sky Q voice search for example.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 11:12   #19
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
I think they will still use TiVo services like wish lists Etc in the backend system. Sky actually use TiVo for Sky Q voice search for example.
Sky Q uses Comcast's voice platform now.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 13:27   #20
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky Q uses Comcast's voice platform now.
I heard it was going to switch to Comcast's system didn't know it happened already.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 16:21   #21
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

The link seems to have been taken down, does anyone have another link to the images please?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 17:53   #22
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...9385#post79385
Old 27-12-2019, 10:18   #23
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Thank you very much, looks like a huge improvement imo. The current TiVo UI is so outdated in comparison to Sky Q.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 12:05   #24
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I would like to have the option of this new interface or the traditional linear type EPG.

This would mean everyone would be happy.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 13:01   #25
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I would like to have the option of this new interface or the traditional linear type EPG.

This would mean everyone would be happy.
The EPG will remain as it is. However, you may have to click on a picture to access it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 13:21   #26
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I'd like to be able to switch off excess pictures, but I suspect the best I'll get is the channel logo removal on the EPG like you can currently do on Tivo/V6.

There are rules about accessibility coming into effect for all platforms I believe, so maybe those will provide features of use to a wider audience than those they are intended for.
Old 27-12-2019, 15:55   #27
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The EPG will remain as it is. However, you may have to click on a picture to access it.

That is not 'as it is' then is it.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 16:26   #28
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
That is not 'as it is' then is it.
Some people call the entire box operating system software the EPG, others are just referring to the section of it which lists the channels and the programme schedule for the user to navigate.

I think Old Boy is talking about the latter definition of Electronic Programme Guide.

And looking at the screenshots of the new EPG section, it looks like most EPGs.

The bit about the new OS that worries me is the interface that leads to the EPG section. I don't want lots of bit graphical, screenspace wasting buttons, but quite a few people do and it's the current trend.
Old 27-12-2019, 18:54   #29
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Some people call the entire box operating system software the EPG, others are just referring to the section of it which lists the channels and the programme schedule for the user to navigate.

I think Old Boy is talking about the latter definition of Electronic Programme Guide.

And looking at the screenshots of the new EPG section, it looks like most EPGs.

The bit about the new OS that worries me is the interface that leads to the EPG section. I don't want lots of bit graphical, screenspace wasting buttons, but quite a few people do and it's the current trend.
That's correct. I have always viewed the EPG as the channel listings. The screen before that is the Home screen.

As I understand it, the new Home screen will be picture based, and you will select the appropriate picture to access the programme guide, which will probably be exactly the same as the one we have now.

The other pictures on the home screen will allow you to access on demand, recordings, apps, etc.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 20:31   #30
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Really, there is no Home screen, in the traditional sense.

This "new" UI looks like my 2013 Samsung tv in that you get a carousel of options which appear at the bottom of the screen to access the tv listings, search, on demand, settings etc.