Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Get ready for the biggest joke ever.......

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Get ready for the biggest joke ever.......

Old 25-11-2011, 00:09   #31
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get ready for the biggest joke ever.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Um, is that not VM's job? To supply the customer with the service that they have agreed to pay for? Without the customer having to check up on them? Or is that too much to hope for from a 21st century technology company?

So you'd rather someone go with a substandard service for however long it takes to get an engineer back in, when a simple check and phonecall can fix provisioning issues, just because its "not their job"?

Granted in this case its not a provisioning issue, but still, a check of your own never hurts.

You'd do very well in beurocracy, or unionism. "Can't do that, not my job."
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2011, 01:09   #32
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
The superhub isnt perfect but in my opinion it doesnt cause slow speeds
It definitely does. I could only reach 8MBit tonight, so I rebooted assuming it was a problem with my laptop. Still got 8MBit. Rebooted the GodAwfulHub and suddenly my speed shot up to 50MBit.

This Netgear router has to be the sorriest excuse for a router I've ever come across in my life. Whoever dubbed it "Super" was definitely taking the [Mod Edit].
caph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 07:37   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedkelly View Post
Have you checked the power supply .As i have had a couple of jobs passed to me from the fault techs and the installer has not changed the power supply .
not yet, the new shub is coming today anyways so I'll swap the whole lot over
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 12:30   #34
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by caph View Post
It definitely does. I could only reach 8MBit tonight, so I rebooted assuming it was a problem with my laptop. Still got 8MBit. Rebooted the GodAwfulHub and suddenly my speed shot up to 50MBit.

This Netgear router has to be the sorriest excuse for a router I've ever come across in my life. Whoever dubbed it "Super" was definitely taking the [Mod Edit]..
ok your experience overules mine although the OP has a different issue.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 13:58   #35
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Though I agree with you re. checking for basic cable faults yourself, and you are replying to a very poorly thought out post, you let yourself down with your insulting comment re. trades unionists and public service workers. Demarcation was a stupid idea, but it is very much a 70s way of thinking. Though you may still be afflicted with a 70s mindset most of the rest of us moved on a long long time ago.

Please don't push your outdated claptrap on the rest of us over here in modern society. It is insulting, untrue and, if you only knew it, embarrassing for yourself. Stick to topics you actually understand.

This is my measured and pleasant response. You only get that once. Keep up the insults and I'll have to become more direct.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 14:18   #36
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by caph View Post

This Netgear router has to be the sorriest excuse for a router I've ever come across in my life. Whoever dubbed it "Super" was definitely taking the [Mod Edit]..
Yep I'll go along with that.

I find the damned thing comes shudderingly to a halt in new and wondrous ways about every 10 to 14 days and then has to be rebooted to resume a semblance of normality.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 19:31   #37
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Update time:

Got new hub and spent 20 mins on hold trying to activate it only to be told that the peeps on that number can't activate 100mbit accounts so spent another 15 mins on hold waiting for someone to answer the phone.

Long story short, still same problem speed tests are varying but defo won't go above 50mbits. Time to fire off letter of compaint.
Old 25-11-2011, 19:40   #38
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

have they tested whether full speed reaches your SuperHub? I'm sure I've had a few agents in the past test the speed from their end.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 20:07   #39
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
have they tested whether full speed reaches your SuperHub? I'm sure I've had a few agents in the past test the speed from their end.
They can't do that, so don't believe everything they say on the phone ....

All their tools can see are the signal levels and provisioning status of the modem etc. They can't run remote speedtests from their end!
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 20:13   #40
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

thanks for replying
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 22:37   #41
KenK
Inactive

KenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to all

Quote:
So you'd rather someone go with a substandard service for however long it takes to get an engineer back in, when a simple check and phonecall can fix provisioning issues, just because its "not their job"?
No. I'd like the service provider to get it right first time, and to not leave the job until they're sure that they have. I was being told that by my then employers 20 years ago - it's cheaper, it saves having to re-visit the same piece of work.
Quote:
Demarcation in bureaucracy or unionism is about people who work for the same organisation, not about customers doing what the supplier should do.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 22:56   #42
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Demarcation in bureaucracy or unionism is about people who work for the same organisation, not about customers doing what the supplier should do.
It's ignorant drivel, is what it is. I suspect Milambar's trying to push this stuff because he has so little respect for the people who read this forum that he thinks we're thick enough to believe it. Either that, or he's thick enough to believe it...
Old 25-11-2011, 23:54   #43
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I had this in mind when I made that comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBgcea3KucE

Also memories of "Thats Life" and the "Jobsworth" award that Esther Rants-on gave out each week.

But take it as you wish.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 02:26   #44
AndyCalling
Inactive

Quote:
Actually I had this in mind when I made that comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBgcea3KucE

Also memories of "Thats Life" and the "Jobsworth" award that Esther Rants-on gave out each week.

But take it as you wish.
When we're days away from the biggest industrial action in the UK since the general strike you either know full well how comments like yours come across or you are unbeliveably naive. At least have the courage to admit your agenda please.

Your snide comments are extremely distasteful in these difficult times when most of us are fighting for economic survival. Including those at VM who are facing redundancy in Liverpool. You may be fortunate enough to be unaffected, but that doesn't give you the right to disrespect those less well heeled than yourself who are struggling to fight their corner. If you aren't so fortunate then you should wake up.
Old 26-11-2011, 08:54   #45
General Maximus
Ran Away

quick update. I was cut off speaking to the 100mbit support last night and I rang back just to get my records updated for when I send my letter off. The guy who i was put through to was actually quite helpful and I am actually getting 100mbit even though none of the speedtests reflect it.

I download 10 files over 1gb from all over the place and although none of the them would go over 2mb/sec, cumulatively they were doing 11.5mb/sec. He gave me a load of dribble about how the shub is different to the Ambit in terms of how it negotiates its connections with its hosts which is why my speed tests are screwed up and although windows says my gigabit NIC is connected to the shub at 1gbit it might not actually be and the drivers are too old etc etc etc.

I have given it a good thrashing on newsgroups this morning and if you allow it to make more connections it does work, newsgroups maxed out at 11.2mb/sec and held steady at 10.5mb/sec for 20gb of downloads which was kinda sweet.

I still want my vmng300 back, if they have done something to the shub so that it can't do more than 2mb/sec per connection nobody is every going to benefit from the full 100mbit because the odds of doing so many downloads/connections simultaneously aren't high. If the ambit allows a higher throughput per connection whilst still on 4 channels, so I will benefit from my speed for individual downloads, then I want it back.