Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All good things come to those who wait

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All good things come to those who wait

Old 09-12-2011, 19:24   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
All good things come to those who wait

I had to start a new thread because this is one is a lot more positive than the previous one. For those who have been keeping track I started this off 2 weeks ago http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...joke-ever.html

To cut a long story short I upgraded to 100mbit and was assured by 2 people when I booked the upgrade that I could defo keep my VMNG300. I asked if I could be upgraded over the phone and was told that I needed to wait for an engineer visit to make sure the power levels were okay etc etc and I did ask why I couldn't be upgraded over the phone and only have an engineer if there were any probs and I was told that wasn't possible.
I had to wait 2 weeks for an engineer to come round who took away my VMNG300 and gave me a shub which refused to pull more than 36mbits on speed tests. I speny many hours on the phone to everyone you can think of trying to get my old my modem back only to be told it was impossible and that my speed test problems lay with my pc even though I always got 50mbit in speed tests before. They sent me a second shub and when I rang the number on the box to get the mac registered (after being on hold for 20 mins) I was told that I had to be put through to someone else for 100mbit activations and then I was on hold for another 15 mins. I still had the same probs with the second shub.

Anyways.............I know I have taken the pee out of people doing this before but I fired off an email to the CEOs office and explained everything in intricate detail and a very nice chap rang me back and I explained the problems I was having and how I had been lied to by at least 3 peeps.
Now this is the best bit. He told me that I should have been upgraded straight away over the phone when I rang up and they should have only booked an engineer if I was having problems, the engineer should have left me with my VMNG300 and the VMNG300 can handle 100mbit without breaking a sweat, which contradicts all the rubbish I had been told on the phone and follows my logic quite nicely.

He banged a VMNG300 in the post to me yesterday which arrived today. I rang the same number on the box again expecting to be told I would have to be transferred but the dude on the phone was more than happy to do it for me. As soon as it was up and running I ran a speed test and everything was back to normal again.

I must say that I am a very happy chappy and kudos to the dude (i won't say his name) in the CEOs office who was so helpful. To the people who lied to me and wasted the last 3 weeks when I could have kept my old modem and been upgraded over the phone Mod Edit

With the shub

With the VMNG300 (this is a million times better. I don't expect it to be perfect on a Friday evening and I am over the moon with this)

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2011, 19:56   #2
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
What are your signal levels like out of interest and did u have correct psu on superhub? Should of been 1.5 amp not the vmng300 psu

Just asking as 20mbit to 84mbit seems a bit steep

I know superhub isn't great but I consistently get 80mbit upwards all the time even with a superhub most of the time I get 97mbit

Did you try speed testing with superhub in modem only mode?

Reason being is later on when vm add more than 4 channels your vmng won't work as it only handles up to 4 superhub handles up to 8

Also superhub has gigabit Ethernet ports

Vmng300 doesnt making it harder to get really close to 100mbit that's why vm are pushing the superhub

Personally although not great I've found the superhub quite useable now
Since the R30 update

And in cases where it isn't it's better to shove it in modem mode than go back to vmng300

Vmng300 was a good idea prior to r30 but wouldn't say now since modem mode is available due to the lack of gigabit LAN port and channel quantity restricted to 4 which will be a problem later on.

Modem mode disables everything that makes it a superhub anyway.. Turns it into a modem.. Which isn't really too different to the vmng300 except being able to handle 8 channels instead of 4 and having gigabit ports
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 20:05   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: All good things come to those who wait

my power levels and everything were fine on both modems/hubs. They have always been between 2 and 3 and atm they are at 0.3. I checked to make sure the tech gave me a new psu with the shub and I even changed it over with another new one when the second one came and it didn't help.

I knew the speed tests were dodgy straight away which is why i wanted my vmng300 back and that is why the 100mbit support team blamed my pc for it. "although windows says you are connected to the shub at 1gbit you might not actually be connected at that speed". Or "you need to download a tcp optimiser".

It is amazing how without a tcp optimiser I am back up to full speed again!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 20:08   #4
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
But did you try superhub in modem mode?

As with superhub it's possible to get nearer to 100mbit than vmng300

Not defending the superhub as it is not great just saying it has the gigabit Ethernet port and 8 channel capability which is one up on the vmng300

And gigabit port will always allow 100mbit but 100mbit ethernet port won't

I know it depends on area but still wouldn't consider 80 full speed

I'd be complaining about it.. Mine were like that before but now I consistently get 90 upwards which is more satisfactory.. Even get 30mbit over wireless on my iPhone lol which is good for wireless but wired 97 isn't unusual
Old 09-12-2011, 20:35   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

the VMNG300 has got a gigabit port on it and both it and the shub use 4 channels on 100mbit so neither should have advantage over the other.

I never even tried using the hub in routing mode. When I got home and had a heart attack the very first thing i did was open a broswer window and bang it into modem mode
Old 09-12-2011, 21:08   #6
RB2004
Inactive

some areas are now using 5 channels on 100mbit.

more to follow..
Old 09-12-2011, 21:12   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

it is all to do with load balancing and as long as I can still 100mbit across 4 channels I'll be happy
Old 10-12-2011, 19:02   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

quick update, I downloaded 1gb off newsgroups for the sake of it this morning and it blasted away at a solid 11-11.5mb/sec
Old 10-12-2011, 20:09   #9
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

11-11.5MB download speeds are sick dude. Just waiting for my area to get 100mb now. Is there a way to see if your area has got more than 4 channels with out having a "super" hub? I have 50mb with the VMNG300
Im in NW London connected to finc14 according to the connection thing at top.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:43   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
Is there a way to see if your area has got more than 4 channels with out having a "super" hub?
I don't think so, I know it is only running on 4 atm because the shub was only using 4. As long as I continue to get my speed I am not bothered how many channels my modem uses and I'll keep using it until 200mbit come round