Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2020, 14:51   #1516
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
The UK wide lock down will not be lifted any time soon with scenes like this from this morning...
Presumably they are going to work, which is allowed / required.

How else do you expect them to get there ?

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

The virus has become the final nail in the coffin for Brighthouse and Carluccio.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52090976
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52093585

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2020, 14:56   #1517
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

In other news...

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-device
Old 30-03-2020, 15:04   #1518
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Also worth a read ;

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...id-19-deaths-?

Old 30-03-2020, 15:11   #1519
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The Department of Health and Social Care have published the latest figures.

Quote:
The total number of people in the UK who have died after testing positive for coronavirus is 1,415 - a rise of 180 on Sunday's figures

The UK breakdown is:

England - 1284
Wales - 62
Northern Ireland - 22
Scotland - 47
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ister-11965603
Old 30-03-2020, 15:14   #1520
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Presumably they are going to work, which is allowed / required.

How else do you expect them to get there ?

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

The virus has become the final nail in the coffin for Brighthouse and Carluccio.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52090976
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52093585
Going to essential work is allowed. That’s not my issue. We’re being nannied in to staying at home by the Police to prevent the spread of this virus. Yet at tube and train stations. Crowds of people huddled together and packed in to cabins like sardines, I also don’t blame the workers. There should be some adequate separation techniques being implemented like we’re seeing at supermarkets.
Old 30-03-2020, 15:17   #1521
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Going to essential work is allowed. That’s not my issue. We’re being nannied in to staying at home by the Police to prevent the spread of this virus. Yet at tube and train stations. Crowds of people huddled together and packed in to cabins like sardines, I also don’t blame the workers. There should be some adequate separation techniques being implemented like we’re seeing at supermarkets.
Or maybe the London Mayor could relent and put more tube trains on to address the overcrowding.
Old 30-03-2020, 15:20   #1522
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Or maybe the London Mayor could relent and put more tube trains on to address the overcrowding.
One big problem with that is the percentage of staff off sick..
Old 30-03-2020, 15:24   #1523
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The Department of Health and Social Care have published the latest figures.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ister-11965603
And yet up to 28,000 die in a year in the UK from seasonal influenza and we hear very little about that. We have a way to go before we reach that figure.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavi...are-influenza/

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
One big problem with that is the percentage of staff off sick..
Where are all these driverless trains when you need them?

Actually, I thought I read that Sadiq Khan had ordered that fewer trains should run to reflect the message that people should stay at home. Seemed like a good idea to him at the time..
Old 30-03-2020, 15:39   #1524
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Actually, I disagree, Stephen Kinnock did nothing wrong, he gave supplies to a vulnerable group of people, which is allowed, albeit they were his parents. He complied with social distancing when he was there and kept apart from them at all times.

He did nothing wrong but the police did with their smart arse reply to him on his twitter feed, saying his journey was not essential, yes it was, as I have outlined why.

A police officer issued a fine at the weekend for a shop keeper who applied chalk lines outside her shop so customers knew where to stand during social distancing, that video went viral, the fine has since been waived and police spokesperson said officers need to apply common sense approach.

My brother was stopped the other day by the police, he was just returning from doing some shopping, when they asked him why he was not at home, he told them, they were not satisfied with his answer and asked to see his shopping in his boot. Unacceptable over zealous policing.

The Police need to be very careful here because this is a temporary measure, usually we live in a State where it is policed by consent. If they start acting like the Gestapo, civil unrest will grow, as it is already doing so in Italy.
How far did he travel to get to his parents?

I don't believe what the Police did to your brother to be wrong in the slightest. Some people are not taking this very seriously.
Old 30-03-2020, 15:48   #1525
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
And yet up to 28,000 die in a year in the UK from seasonal influenza and we hear very little about that. We have a way to go before we reach that figure.
As has been pointed out, more than once, it’s only been about four weeks. With estimates of 250 000 or more deaths based on the flawed herd immunity strategy you are (for your own convenience) ignoring the efforts being made to tackle Coronavirus and stop the spread.

You’re also forgetting the political, and economic, cost of thousands dying in hospital corridors in entirely preventable deaths.

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:
Surely they can’t all be essential at the same time? I’m with you Mick in not blaming the workers but could something be done to stagger the peak times - essential shops opening earlier/later or staggered shifts?

We would need to know where they are all going first.
Old 30-03-2020, 15:53   #1526
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

The average over the last 4 years has been 17,000.
Quote:
Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19.
Everyone is used to the flu being around, and killing people, so the world carries on as normal.

Covid-19 is new, so people are more wary of it, and media sensationalization of it has now made people treat it like the plague (its nowhere near as deadly).

The other problem seems to be that it [generally] takes longer for symptoms to show, meaning you can potentially infect more people before knowing you have it yourself, and taking the nescessary precautions. All experts seem to agree that most people who eventually catch it will recover (and not even be certain they had it).

Old 30-03-2020, 15:54   #1527
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Interesting viewpoint from the latest Goldman Sachs Investment Strategy Group newsletter (my bro-in-law in the USA gets it, as he has a portfolio with them).

They seem relatively positive (at this time) - this is a non-political view, informed by the best info from scientists to date, on how it will affect investors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5C353C10-9CBD-4E29-AD84-AA2736D98EE8.jpg (511.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BE1A6A34-4AFA-4388-9E4F-93C83915EE89.jpg (266.0 KB, 11 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 30-03-2020, 15:56   #1528
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
How far did he travel to get to his parents?

I don't believe what the Police did to your brother to be wrong in the slightest*. Some people are not taking this very seriously.
Distance travelled is irrelevant, doesn't state in the Statute book how far one cannot travel during the lock down.

* I do believe they were wrong, what you believe is irrelevant to me and my brothers circumstances. They asked a question and were given an adequate answer, what followed was over zealous and pathetic.
Old 30-03-2020, 16:07   #1529
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Distance travelled is irrelevant, doesn't state in the Statute book how far one cannot travel during the lock down.

* I do believe they were wrong, what you believe is irrelevant to me and my brothers circumstances. They asked a question and were given an adequate answer, what followed was over zealous and pathetic.
It's not irrelevant. Longer distances mean more visits to the petrol station needed. It could mean a higher percentage of a breakdown or accident. Unless their was no other way of getting food to them, it wasn't essential.

Doesn't matter if its irrelevant to you. Too many people are not following guidelines, something you just posted about in the very next post with the video of the train/tube. A simple question and check is the least of people's worries at this moment in time when essential trips are all that should be took, which some people aren't adhering too. What harm came to you or your brother or anyone else?
Old 30-03-2020, 16:14   #1530
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The difference is that not everybody gets the flu and certainly not as once, so the burden on the health service is manageable.

The problem with COVID19 is that anyone that comes into contact with the virus will get it. So even though it will still kill a fairly small percentage of the people that are infected, a smal percentage of everybody is a lot of people and because there is no natural immunity in the population if everybody gets it rapidly it will overwhelm the health service and those that may have survived COVID19 with medical care wont, as they wont be able to access any, because it will be full.

It really is, very, very simple and easy to understand. All that needs to be done is to slow the spread.

Once we get the "have you had it" tests, that will improve things.